Any men in here who like the artist.....

Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

I'm not ashamed to say I'm guy who's an Enya fan.
Poll ended at 06 Aug 2011, 10:13 pm
I'm a guy who's a closeted Enya fan...but don't tell anyone. 8%  8%  [ 2 ]
I'm not a fan but I like some of her stuff. 56%  56%  [ 14 ]
Are you kidding me, hell no!! ! 8%  8%  [ 2 ]
Other, please specify. 28%  28%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 25

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2010, 10:13 pm

Enya.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1L6rgBw_ic

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1L6rgBw_ic[/youtube]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqpZITYexNQ

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqpZITYexNQ[/youtube]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugVlI_CEpWg

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugVlI_CEpWg[/youtube]

Just curious as I caught my brother who's into hardcore rock listening to her. I'm an enya fan myself but then again I'm into all sorts of musical genres ranging from rock to folk to blues to jazz to alternative to techno to...well you get the point.

I made a poll in case any of the fellows didn't want to come out of the closet.

Last edited by MissConstrue on 24 Mar 2010, 10:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2010, 10:14 pm

I like some of her music.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2010, 10:16 pm

Errr...they won't let me edit the polls that wasn't suppose to be the first question. >_<

Anyone I guess you get the jiff.

Sound
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2010, 11:36 pm

I love the music behind the vocals, don't really care so much about the vocals... so it might be that I like the producer(s) for Enya, or whoever it is that works the synths, sequencers, and creates the soundscapes, etc.

Although, if she actually does the computer & synth work, then color me impressed. That's rare. Most singers don't seem to want to make the music, and that makes me quite sad.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2010, 12:04 am

Ah yeah, makes my ovaries ache. Oh wait, I don't have those -- it's actually some other organs then. But when those ache it's never a good thing. Nevermind.

IIRC, there was a South Park episode where one character is tortured with Enya's music.

I do actually like some of her music -- have at least a dozen songs I think... Very relaxing & atmospheric. The mood seems the precise opposite of metal.

Oregon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Mar 2010, 12:18 am

I like some of her music... ok, ok.. I only pretended to like it to get laid. :oops:
I did a lot of research on Celt style of music: Clannad, Loreena McKennitt, Kate Bush, Moya Brennan, Lisa Gerrard, Karan Casey, Mairead Nesbitt..

But I guess it worked.. been married 25 years :D

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2010, 1:12 am

I have a gender, that gender does not have me, so does not dictatte my likes or doslikes. I like Enya

spartanhun
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Mar 2010, 2:09 am

Sound wrote:
I love the music behind the vocals, don't really care so much about the vocals... so it might be that I like the producer(s) for Enya, or whoever it is that works the synths, sequencers, and creates the soundscapes, etc.

Although, if she actually does the computer & synth work, then color me impressed. That's rare. Most singers don't seem to want to make the music, and that makes me quite sad.

I love her music. Her music is the most beautiful you can hear today in popular music however the almost operatic vocals, the masterful compositions, the rich instrumentation makes it closer to classical music. Yes, everything is made by Enya: she's a composer, singer and multi-instrumentalist. She won 4 Grammy Awards. Anyway all the backup vocals are her real vocals sung separately, she never used sampled vocals.

ValMikeSmith
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2010, 2:10 am

Enya music is beautiful. It is also Pagan-ish. I don't mind that though.
She seems to (can't find words) associate with Gaia (mother earth goddess).
Someone always remixes her songs so that if you listen carefully you can hear
sub-lyrics about catastrophic events, as if someone was trying to make her a
prognosticator. But I have compared the mixes to the originals I got when they first
came out and the "predictions" (of the kind from the movie SEEING) are not there.
If you don't hear lyrics you would never notice.

DarrylZero
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2010, 2:56 am

I'd vote the first option. I enjoy Enya's music, though I haven't listened to it in a while (currently obsessed with Ladyhawke, and She and Him's "Volume 2" is waiting in the wings). I think I have 2 or 3 of her full-length albums and a Christmas EP she did with a Gaelic version of "Silent Night" on it. I actually like her Gaelic songs the best, even though I don't understand any of them. Go figure. I also like the production on her songs...makes me think of Phil Spector's "Wall of Sound" method.

I'm into a lot of different styles of music. I even enjoy musicals, ballet, and opera (I'm hoping to catch a performance of "Rigoletto" coming up soon). I'm pretty open about it, too, if the subject comes up. Not that it hasn't caused a certain amount of awkwardness. I once had a male co-worker, who knew I liked musicals, ask, "Are you gay?" :roll: My response: "No, I'm not, but I'm flattered by your interest. Thank you." :twisted:

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2010, 4:29 am

No, I don't think much of her music at all. Wishy-washy New Age wailing. :) Not a patch on Ommadawn. :wink:

The year is still young.

Sound
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2010, 6:11 am

spartanhun wrote:
Sound wrote:

I love her music. Her music is the most beautiful you can hear today in popular music however the almost operatic vocals, the masterful compositions, the rich instrumentation makes it closer to classical music. Yes, everything is made by Enya: she's a composer, singer and multi-instrumentalist. She won 4 Grammy Awards. Anyway all the backup vocals are her real vocals sung separately, she never used sampled vocals.

Right, someone works the sequencers, multi-tracks vocal takes, programs the synth lines via midi... Typically the producers' & engineers' role, as it's incredibly complex, technical, non-musical work at the professional level. You're saying she does that? As of her 2001 release, she was still produced by a Nicky Ryan, the one she initially had producing for her since Clannad...

Although, with as much time as she's been in professional recording studios, and around the people working the hardware and software, I suppose she could've picked it up by now.
Most don't, though.

spartanhun
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Mar 2010, 4:31 pm

Sound wrote:
spartanhun wrote:
Sound wrote:

Right, someone works the sequencers, multi-tracks vocal takes, programs the synth lines via midi... Typically the producers' & engineers' role, as it's incredibly complex, technical, non-musical work at the professional level. You're saying she does that? As of her 2001 release, she was still produced by a Nicky Ryan, the one she initially had producing for her since Clannad...

Although, with as much time as she's been in professional recording studios, and around the people working the hardware and software, I suppose she could've picked it up by now.
Most don't, though.

I saw a documentary about her work. The musical part of the work is done by Enya (the compositions, the arrangement, the vocals, the instruments including all the synthesizer tasks). The technical part (mixing and engineering) is done by Nicky Ryan as you said, but there is a very close collaboration between them, they share musical and technical ideas, so it is sure that Enya knows many things about the technical part as well. Lyrics are written by Nicky's wife. As far as I know they have their own recording studio (Aigle) and they do everything except mastering.

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2010, 4:47 pm

I really like this song by her:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AXpEvpPGa0[/youtube]

Valoyossa
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2010, 4:50 pm

My ex-bf was big Enya's fan. I didn't know it's sth wrong 8O

----
My Industrial Love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBo5K0ZQIEY

GrimmRomance
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Mar 2010, 6:04 pm

Damien Rice - Delicate (so heartfelt I got tears in my eyes :,( :heart:)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHHoJOK5RzM[/youtube]