Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Civet
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2006, 5:23 am

I am going to make a weighted blanket, I came across instructions online, and it seems fairly simple. The recommended weight is 10% of one's body weight. I'm not sure, but this seems a little high to me. I guess I will have to try it out and see what works for me.

Anyway, my question is, does anyone here use a weighted blanket? Are they safe to sleep under all night? (This is what I'd likely use it for). How heavy is it in comparison to your body weight? (Percentage-wise, if you know).

wandrew
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Mar 2006, 7:20 am

I prefer comforters, whether down-filled or with a hypoallergenic material. I've been sleeping much better since I started using a comforter. Now alls I need is a new bloody mattress. :sigh:

parts
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2006, 8:01 am

They don't feel that heavy when they are spread out. Ten percent of body weight is what they recomend but your tolerance for more or less could be different. Mine is 16 lbs. but I,m about 250 it does't seem that heavy but I sleep with a coforter and lots of pillows too. I dont think sleeping all night with it would be a problem as long as its not over your head, thats what I use the pillows for. It slids off some times and I wake up in a a panic and pull it back. Same with the pillows

brosmadre
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Mar 2006, 9:13 am

Where did you come across instructions on making your own weighted blanket? I have been wanting to do that for my 10 year old... especially for bedtime... Thanks

Nomaken
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2006, 10:00 am

My kitty is my weighted blanket.

Civet
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2006, 1:40 pm

Quote:
Where did you come across instructions on making your own weighted blanket? I have been wanting to do that for my 10 year old... especially for bedtime... Thanks

http://www.ont-autism.uoguelph.ca/blanket

parts
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2006, 1:43 pm

Nomaken wrote:
My kitty is my weighted blanket.

I used to have a cat that would sleep on the pillow over my head at night

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2006, 5:27 pm

When I thought of a weighted blanket, I was thinking of some super heavy kind of material. Stuffing lots of hard objects in it sure doesn't sound very comfortable and I'm sure alot of the hyper sensitive crowd would agree. I have an unusually heavy regular blanket and it rocks! :D

parts
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2006, 5:44 pm

Sean wrote:
When I thought of a weighted blanket, I was thinking of some super heavy kind of material. Stuffing lots of hard objects in it sure doesn't sound very comfortable and I'm sure alot of the hyper sensitive crowd would agree. I have an unusually heavy regular blanket and it rocks! :D

Mine is about 4x5 and has pockets filled with grainy said the material isn't that heavy I put it over a comforter. Touch is the only sense I'm not hyper sensitive to. Just a blanket feeels like nothing.I acually like the way the sand pocket feel and the noise they make when I move around.

redvelvet
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Mar 2006, 6:45 pm

http://www.myweightedblankets.com/blankets_lap_pads here is a place they make them, this looks interesting, do you reckon it's good for adults too? http://www.myweightedblankets.com/make_your_own
I have got to try this. :D

Civet
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2006, 8:19 pm

Quote:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:45 pm Post subject:
http://www.myweightedblankets.com/blankets_lap_pads here is a place they make them, this looks interesting, do you reckon it's good for adults too? http://www.myweightedblankets.com/make_your_own
I have got to try this. Very Happy

That link is really helpful, thanks!

I don't see why it wouldn't be good for adults. I originally thought it might be nice because I have a semi-heavy quilt (about 3 lbs) that I love to keep over my shoulders for the weight. I tried laying down with the quilt and a few bags of polyfil on me to make sure it wouldn't be uncomfortable (and mind, these weren't evenly distrubuted at all), I felt fine, and it was quite calming.

AV-geek
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2006, 10:07 pm

This subject of weighted blankets I've found very interesting. Do any of you all enjoy those lead-vest type covers that the dentist puts on you when an X-ray is done? I LOVE those things! Most people complain about how confining they are, and how heavy they are. I can't wait for that part of a dental exam to come up. One time, I asked the Dental assistant to just leave it on me after the X-ray is done. She left it on there through most of the cleaning, but then had to take it off when another patient neeed it for an X-ray. The nice thing about these too is they are a bit warm. I'm always cold, so the added warmpth is very comfortable too.

nirrti_rachelle
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2006, 10:09 pm

While growing up, we had this huge, brown blanket that must have weighed 15 pounds...and that was way above 10% body weight. I think it was hand-made since no store-bought blankets come that large plus it was too heavy to even fit in a front loading industrial washer. Though it wasn't the cleanest blanket in the world, it felt like heaven being snuggled under it, especially on a really cold night.

Civet
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2006, 5:38 am

Quote:
Do any of you all enjoy those lead-vest type covers that the dentist puts on you when an X-ray is done? I LOVE those things! Most people complain about how confining they are, and how heavy they are. I can't wait for that part of a dental exam to come up.

Yes, I love them, too.

When I went in for an x-ray of my wrist, they put one on me. After the x-ray I just waited in the room for the dr. to do some stuff, and left the vest on. When the dr. came back he was like "You can take the vest off, now!"

parts
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2006, 7:27 am

Quote:
Do any of you all enjoy those lead-vest type covers that the dentist puts on you when an X-ray is done?

It's one of the only calm times for me at the dentist :D

They make weighted vests too I was thinking of gettin one of those fishing vests and putting ball bearing in the pockets till I got it right

Jetson
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2006, 2:07 pm

I really love the lead vest, too. It's the only part of the trip I like.

I sleep with a thick comforter in the winter, but the summers are hopeless because I don't have anything heavy that wouldn't make me seriously overheated. When it's really warm I often wear a lycra surf shirt instead so I can still get the sensation of pressure while staying reasonably cool.

When I was a kid I used to love crawling underneath the mattress to relax (not to sleep!).