Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Metalwolf
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2010, 9:02 pm

Does anybody ever have certain foods that make them feel tired?
I'm not talking about sugary foods, as that effect with those is quite common, but other kinds.

With me, I get tired and irritable with a headache if I eat Doritoes, or any other chips that are cheese flavored.
If I eat too much with any foods, I become easily over-sensitive, lots of times with lights and sounds. This happens with the chips too, so much so that I am thinking about avoiding them unless I am going to eat them alone and with dim lights.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2010, 2:13 am

just the traditional turkeyday/xmas grand feast, which leaves my belt straining against my belly and my eyelids heavy. it must the the tryptophan in the turkey or something, but after my thanksgiving lunchtime meal, i am drawn inexorably towards my bed where i have a nice 4-hour nap and dream of nice things.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2010, 5:13 am

Yeah, I have reactions like that to all sorts of foods unfortunately. It seems like a "food allergy," though maybe "food reaction" is closer, as there seem to be the usual symptoms (ie itching), plus other odd ones like intense fatigue/sleepiness and my senses getting cranked up.

Yeast, dairy, corn, and wheat are the major ones for me. Also just about anything I eat for too many days in a row (like every day for 2 weeks). I think I might have it worse than usual, though.

The only solution I've found is avoidance and a "rotation diet." The reactions were getting so bad at one point that I was in danger of losing my job over them (and even Rx stimulants wouldn't overcome the sleepiness). I also seem to end up craving the foods that cause those reactions, which is a little hellish. In alternative health circles I think the terms "food allergy" and "food reaction" will give some info -- though there is a lot of expensive BS in alt-health circles sometimes, so be careful about that.

PS Oh I also found that sub-lingual "pantethine" would stop the reactions about half the time.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2010, 11:44 am

Yeah, gluten-y things. You might have a food sensitivity. If you feel something makes you sleepy try cutting it out of your diet for a while.

Metalwolf
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2010, 8:50 pm

Thanks guys! :D
I was thinking too that it could be a food sensitivity, one that has to do with the artificial 'cheese' in the potato chips.
I don't tend to crave them, but the affect they have is not good when you have to work with the public :lol:

KaolTamalak
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

27 Mar 2010, 8:54 pm

Greasy and fattening foods.