Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Mar 2006, 5:35 am

Anyone here a fan of it?

Fiat_Lux
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Mar 2006, 6:08 pm

At the time, it had some great visuals. To me, Michael York doesn’t seem very convincing as Logan 3. Have you read the book by William Nolan and George Clayton Johnson? It is rather different from the film, and it raises some interesting points about the individual and their responsibility to society. I haven't read the book for years, and I'd think that it would seem dated now.

wandrew
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Mar 2006, 9:30 am

I bought the soundtrack (music composed by Jerry Goldsmith) years ago. It's still one of the best soundtracks I've ever heard. Goldsmith was just beginning to experiment with synthesizers and it had a tremendous effect on his composing style.
The movie is not as good as the book, although Jenny Agutter and Peter Ustinov are excellent. Avoid the TV series.
I'll close with Richard Pryor's take on the film:
"Where the F*** are all the black people?"

Invisible_Ink
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Apr 2006, 1:41 pm

Saw it some time ago, in the late '90s. Back then, it was extremely, even horribly, dated. I can only imagine how it'd be like watching it 30 years later. Consider that Star Wars came out the year after this film was made: comparing the two is like comparing a cave drawing to a color photograph from a special effects sense.

I found the first hour to be moderately watchable. But by the time they get to Box, it becomes really laughable and unconvincing. But whatever: that's just me. I'm sure there's worse out there.

Young_fogey
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Apr 2006, 5:39 pm

Saw it not long after it came out. Haven't seen it since. It'd be interesting to see it now as an adult and see if anything important (such as in the plot) has dated badly?

'Where the f*** are all the black people?' Good point! Could have been worse - it could have had only one black person, Gary Coleman like on 'Buck Rogers': 'Whatchoo talkin' 'bout, Logan 3?'

nomad32
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Jul 2006, 10:23 pm

loved box! box would have been the coolest action figure of all time.
I really liked logans run,I watched it many times and have it on vhs somewhere?
the ending was anti-climatic ,but from the start of the movie until logan sees daylight it's pretty interesting to me anyway. I heard that a new movie could be on the way but that could be one of those preproduction limbo things.

Kye

28 Jul 2006, 4:14 am

Quote:
Saw it some time ago, in the late '90s. Back then, it was extremely, even horribly, dated. I can only imagine how it'd be like watching it 30 years later.

What do you mean by dated? You don't watch black and white films then? I like the story, personally I find the special effects or whatever pretty unimportant.

For anyone that's interested there is apparently a remake in the works. I'd bet money it's far worse than the original.

MannyBoo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2013, 9:26 pm

Yes I like the original 1976 movie, not the TV series. :wink:

I thought the Carrousel Deaths was the most interesting scene.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSUAAKFLoL0[/youtube]

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2013, 2:17 am

It's been years since I've seen Logan's Run, or for that matter, the short lived TV show it had spawned. My absolute favorite aspect of the movie were those amazingly short dresses the women wore. :D

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

MannyBoo
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2013, 8:54 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
My absolute favorite aspect of the movie were those amazingly short dresses the women wore. :D

So you remember Farrah Fawcett? :D

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8th7rFD9raI[/youtube]
She was married to the Bionic Man. :wink:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e55bHBxcaBQ[/youtube]

SpeakerToAnimals
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Mar 2013, 2:07 pm

Loved the original novel - very stylish late-Sixties New Wave sf. It rockets along at an amazing pace and the conceit of numbering the chapters backwards pays off.

The age limit in the novel is 21 not 30. It's about the growing generation gap and it makes more sense thematically if it's 21.

There are two sequels by William F Nolan alone but they're not as good.

Still, the movie has Jenny Aguter and Farah Fawcett so worth a look.

Directors who have expressed an interest in a remake include Bryan Singer (The Usual Suspects, The X-Men) and Nicholas Winding Refn (Bronson, Driver)

MannyBoo
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2013, 7:15 am

SpeakerToAnimals wrote:
Directors who have expressed an interest in a remake include Bryan Singer (The Usual Suspects, The X-Men) and Nicholas Winding Refn (Bronson, Driver)

I would give that a consideration of watching.. if it is well made.

glow
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2013, 4:59 pm

yep , i have and used to be a fan of the leading actors too, the one that plays a nun in the t.v show derek i think, anyway, i cried at the end, coz the old man couldn't leave his old home and he had to leave his cats behind. he'd like been a widower for at least 40 yrs i expect.