Yes 47%  47%  [ 30 ]
No 53%  53%  [ 34 ]
Total votes : 64

xdr5tgb
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Mar 2010, 11:09 pm

Best parts of being a child:
°being free range to go anywhere since 7 years old and believing I was smart enough to go anywhere.
°Catching frogs, playing in the woods, getting my shoes wet, falling through thin ice in the winters
°Playing with legos
°biking and going places
°Getting over a fear of the ocean and learning to SCUBA.
°Summer breaks

What I don't miss:
°Parents
°schoolmates calling me a fag (i'm not)
°School, home 'busy' work, lunchroom cafeteria and sitting alone, feeling stupid
°being poor
°Did i mention school, Mr. Mecurio kicking my desk in 5th grade. (Jerk , I have an MBA and I can use Excel better than you can teach math!)

What I can do to make being a grownup better:
°Limit responsibilities to what you are good at
°Get outside more
°Hike the appalacian trail at some point
°Live near the ocean again
°Figure out if my Mom is an Aspie
°Play legos with my son

ursaminor
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2010, 11:20 pm

I have very limited memory of my life.
I can remember almost nothing from 1 year backwards.
I would like to be a younger child, but with my current brain capacity.

pumibel
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2010, 11:24 pm

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I do not miss my childhood. I had a lot of problems, and I was very misunderstood, even abused. I don't ever want to do that again. I was always so lonely inside and unable to express it. I was even like that as a young adult. I wouldn't go back to my 20s either, and I was hot back then!

xdr5tgb
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Mar 2010, 11:42 pm

I tried to do the survey at the top.

I couldn't click yes, be a child again. I felt. No. I am going to do better in the future.

Is that it?

You want to be a child again cuase your hope for the future is less than the experience of the past.

Sum(Good Experience C) - Sum(Bad Experience C) > Sum(Good Experience GU)*Probability of good expereince - Sum(Bad Experience GU)*probabiity of bad experience then child.

pumibel
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2010, 12:14 am

xdr5tgb wrote:
Sum(Good Experience C) - Sum(Bad Experience C) > Sum(Good Experience GU)*Probability of good expereince - Sum(Bad Experience GU)*probabiity of bad experience then child.

hmmmm didnt declare any variables or constants first!

wait wouldnt it be

sum(GEC)-Sum(BEC)=ChildExperience

If ChildExperience>ProbableExperience Then Child
If ChildExperince<ProbableExperience Then Adult

but ProbableExperience parameters are not declared either- I will have to get some sleep first....

passionatebach
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Mar 2010, 1:09 am

Willard wrote:
If I could look over a 'scenes' menu and pick and choose moments to revisit. I'd also be interested in going back as my present self and observing my own younger self's behavior and reactions to people and events. I'd be interested to see how actual events match up to my memories.

I think that it would be fun to go back to people and events from my childhood, and expreience them with the knowledge I have today. As an example, I would of not pursued the young man I did in school to be my best friend (he ended up in prison), but much rather the chubby and repulsive young man that used to follow me around EVERYWHERE wanting my friendship (he became a person of stature and respect in our community). Also, to counter the bullying, I would of got involved in extra-ciricular activities earlier than I did.

I also agree with the statement that IdahoRose made about seeing the inherent good in people. I wish that people would of remained good. Why did the people that I had a decent relationship from my childhood all of a sudden become so pretentious and mean, and all of the people that bullied me want to be my friend?

Brandon-J
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2010, 1:14 am

there's alot of things in my childhood that i disliked like going to school and being quiet & picked on. I wish I could got back to school with the social skills that I've developed now. There's things that i miss like playing games all day with no responsibilities that was fun.

"If you feed your faith your fears will starve to death"

http://www.youtube.com/user/BrandonJ280

Agnieszka
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2010, 1:31 am

Sure I would be a child again. Especially if I could know what I know now :lol: Anyway I think am still a child at heart :)

LipstickKiller
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Mar 2010, 5:38 am

Before I started school I was perfectly fine. My mother kept a very neat household, I only played with my younger brother and for the most part I was busy in my own little world, examining stuff and pretending to be animals and reading books. I have no memories of anxiety (though I did occasionally tantrum when things didn't go my way or my parents didn't get me). I miss the feeling of timelessness, of lying on my belly in the grass and picking flowers apart, or curling up inside bushes pretending to be a cat, or climbing trees, unaware of anyone's opinion about anything.

After I started school things started deteriorating, hitting bottom in my teens. :(

Irisrises
Toucan
Toucan

31 Mar 2010, 7:46 am

I voted no. I had a very happy childhood but I don't miss it at all.That was then and this is now. I liked being a child when I was one, but I wouldn't want to be one again.

LipstickKiller

Quote:
I miss the feeling of timelessness

I was thinking something like this, partly the never having to keep track of anything becasue it was always taken care of, and partly time being so much more extended back then - next year, after the summer, three weeks from today - everything that wasn't now was ages away.

Fiz
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2010, 8:03 am

No, I would hate to be a child or a teenager again, they were very confusing and difficult times. I now feel comfortable in my own skin and I sometimes take delight in living my childhood now even though I am a fully grown woman. I don't care what others think as I am a mature enough adult, but I just like to switch off and have a bit of immature fun sometimes.

ASgirl
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

31 Mar 2010, 8:15 am

i'd do anything to be a child again. hate getting old.

gramirez
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2010, 9:17 am

I guess I liked being younger, when life was much simpler. But I don't miss my childhood.

starygrrl
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2010, 9:45 am

I talked to my partner about this yesterday. I missed having a childhood. I feel I missed out on a normal childhood, I had so many problems socializing. I missed out of a big part of my life. I have to be honest, I did not have a childhood. It was that bad. No friends, no real joy and alot of pain.

I thankfully had a good time in HS. I don't know how that happened.

vintagedoll
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

31 Mar 2010, 10:56 am

I didn't like being a child when I was one and would not want to be a child again. I was an extremely anxious and timid child and the main emotion I can remember feeling was fear. Noises were overwhelmingly loud and scary and I found most people frightening. I found unfamiliar objects, places and situations frightening too. So that was a lot of anxiety for a young child and not at all the carefree time that childhood is often thought to be. I didn't enjoy playing with other children. I would not go through school again for anything. Looking back I don't know how I survived the experience, but then I didn't really have a choice. At school I always stood out from the other children, never fitted in and I was bullied. Over time I realised that even if I tried to, I could never come over as normal enough to be acceptable to my peers. As a child I had all of the symptoms of selective mutism, another condition that just wasn't understood back then, and I still suffer from it to this day. I was often in trouble for not answering people when they spoke to me and I used to dread anyone talking to me or paying me attention because I knew it would possibly lead to me being in trouble again. Being a child again might not be so bad if I could start my life again from the beginning and have a totally different experience this time where I could be understood and accepted for who I am.
I have remained quite childlike in a lot of ways, I wouldn't for example be able to hold down a regular job. I don't really live in the adult world, whatever that is, and I don't do a lot of normal adult things. But I can look after myself in the ways that really matter to me now. I have so much more choice and so much more control over how my life is. As children we have decisions made for us and don't have much of a say about what our lives are like. Even in the happiest and best of situations children don't get to choose what the home environment is like. Their quality of life is dependent on those people who are supposed to be caring for them and that is what I would never want to go back to: being so dependent on others for my happiness and not having a choice.
I would love to revisit London just as it was in the time period when I was a child though, the 60's and 70's.

OuterBoroughGirl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Mar 2010, 11:11 am

That's a tough question. My knee jerk response would be to say that yes, I would like to be a child again. I don't feel like an adult most of the time, and I have my share of childlike interests. I particularly enjoy reading children's books. In many ways, I find childhood to be far, far more appealing than adulthood.
However, when I objectively examine my own childhood, I recognize that it was very difficult and unhappy. Unfortunately, adulthood isn't shaping up to be any better for me. As a child, I was treated as a lesser species of human by some people. As an adult, I'm still treated as a lesser species of human. As a child, I felt unprepared to handle the demands being placed on me. As an adult, I still feel unprepared to handle the demands being placed on me. As a child, I was unhappy with the person I was, and deeply uncomfortable in my own skin. As an adult, I'm still unhappy with who I am and deeply uncomfortable in my own skin. As a child, the escape that kept me some version of sane was my books and imagination. As an adult, that continues to be true, as there's nothing on my present reality that brings me any happiness. In other words, adulthood isn't proving to be so different from childhood.
I do find myself prone to the delusion that, "the grass is always greener on the other side." Thus, when I reminsce on my childhood, I find myself dwelling on the rare happy moments, and conveniently avoiding thinking about the rest. I've honestly forgotten a lot from my childhood, leading me to believe I'm most likely blocking out the worst of it. Thus, when the demands of the adult world prove particularly burdensome, I can easily fool myself into thinking that childhood was a simpler and happier time, even knowing intellectually that's not the case.
If I could revisit childhood, knowing what I do now, it might very well prove a better time of life than it was the first time around. If I had to start with a clean slate, unable to take my present skills and knowledge with me, I very much doubt it would be a good experience. This poll really needs a "not sure" option.

Last edited by OuterBoroughGirl on 31 Mar 2010, 5:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.