Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2010, 1:06 am

Some people believe picking on people who are very sensitive as in who easily get their feelings hurt toughens them up. Do you find this to be true? Do you agree to it? Why or why not?

I think this is true in some cases because I used to be very sensitive. I used to get bullied a lot by people online when I first started posting and when I got tough, I got less bullies. I started to hide my naivety so that helped. Then two years ago I quit caring what people say to me or what they call me. I have been bullied by a few aspies online and I just decided to not let anyone get to me. I am not going to let some random person upset me. I think me getting picked on made me a tougher person.

pumibel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2010, 1:40 am

I found that the bullying stopped for me when I stopped acting like I cared.I mean, after so many years of being "wrong" no matter how I tried to look or act, I just gave up and said, "eff it, I have studying to do". Then people stopped picking on me. It was either my attitude or I got my boobies, I dont know which because both happened around the same time.

I don't really think that picking on people who are easily hurt will toughen them up. I think it does serious damage. They may learn how to hide their hurt, but inside they are scarred. I know I am. So I think it gives the impression that picking on them does some good because they hide the hurt reaction, but they are still just as hurt (and maybe plotting someone's demise).

I am reminded of that movie where Adam Sandler has to repeat all these grades in school as an adult. He calls some guy he used to bully and apologizes. So the dude crosses Adam's character name off his hit list with some lipstick and then puts the lipstick on his lips. I dont remember the movie name, but that scene is all I remember from it. I have always found it so funny.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2010, 2:47 am

After getting bullied both in real life and online so many times over the years, I've learned to toughen up. Mean comments used to haunt me for weeks after someone said them to me, and I'd cry over it multiple times.

Now when someone is mean to me, I usually feel a little hurt then shrug it off, sometimes to the point of forgetting about it completely. At worst I'll have one good cry over it and complain about it for a day or so, then move on.

I know I still have room for improvement in the toughening up department, but at least I don't get as devastated as I used to.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2010, 4:13 am

I was picked on, a lot, as a child and a teenager. It's had the opposite effect on me. I'm afraid to hurt anybody, for any reason, and I'm always on my alert, for NT type teenagers, because those were the ones who picked on me, in high school. Sometimes, I think I need to take Testosterone, to toughen up, the way that the rest of you, were able to. That's probably the reason that I'm very sensitive, and I have Depression.

Keeno
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2010, 4:27 am

There's no doubt many people are toughened up by bullying. But certainly not all. And to say you are picking on someone as a means of trying to toughen them up is nothing short of emotional abuse. It is crass and highly insensitive.

Taupey
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2010, 10:53 am

You're not the only one who is sensitive and get their feelings hurt and have problems with depression CockneyRebel. I believe BULLYING is a form of emotional ABUSE and its WRONG to do to others. I know of someone who is a cruel wicked bully on another website then he comes here to this site and pretends to be so kind and caring. He is very good at acting like he would never in his life do such things with the characters he portrays here at WrongPlanet. I think to myself, yeah you may fool a lot of people here but you don't fool me. I have been studying his writing styles since Aug/Sept of last year. I have spent more than 8 hours a day almost everyday reading things he has written. And NO this is not an April Fools Joke. He's a brilliant writer for sure.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2010, 11:00 am

Taupey wrote:
You're not the only one who is sensitive and get their feelings hurt and have problems with depression CockneyRebel. I believe BULLYING is a form of emotional ABUSE and its WRONG to do to others. I know of someone who is a cruel wicked bully on another website then he comes here to this site and pretends to be so kind and caring. He is very good at acting like he would never in his life do such things with the characters he portrays here at WrongPlanet. I think to myself, yeah you may fool a lot of people here but you don't fool me. I have been studying his writing styles since Aug/Sept of last year. I have spent more than 8 hours a day almost everyday reading things he has written. And NO this is not an April Fools Joke. He's a brilliant writer for sure.

I wonder who that person is?

you_are_what_you_is
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2010, 11:52 am

I'm not sure why people should be required to 'toughen up', in this context, at all. If people didn't bully them, then it wouldn't matter how tough they are. Rather than say that victims of bullying need to toughen up, I'd rather we all have the attitude that bullying isn't socially acceptable, and those who engage in it need to be discouraged.

AppleCat
Toucan
Toucan

01 Apr 2010, 12:33 pm

Bullies select their targets very carefully. For example, one girl at school who used to punch and kick me and scream in my ear did so because she knew I don't like to hurt anyone and wouldn't fight back. She wouldn't have dared to do to the hard girls who smoked behind the leisure centre what she did to me, because they would have floored her.

Personally, I think anybody who picks on somebody who is weaker and/or more vulnerable than themself, obviously has issues and does it in order to make themself feel better or is afraid of being bullied, and tries to make themself appear less of an easy target.