Indifferent 16%  16%  [ 24 ]
Total votes : 149

FarqyTheIndolent
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2010, 5:17 pm

I'm a liberal feminist.

mechanicalgirl39 wrote:
I also extremely hate 'difference feminists'...The ones who push the idea of women as baby makers and nurturers, elevate these things as sacred, and see men as lesser because they don't give birth. VOMIT. They manage to be grossly unfair to both men and women. Men, because they treat them as lesser because they don't get pregnant and poop the baby out, and women because they reduce women to just wombs. They do it in a nice way, but damn. I'm a sentient girl with a mind and skills and opinions, not just a brood mare whose main job is to give birth and nurture.

Add those of a 'Masculine science is the symbolic rape of nature's sacred feminine!' persuasion to the list, and we're in full agreement.

mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2010, 5:54 pm

FarqyTheIndolent wrote:
I'm a liberal feminist.

mechanicalgirl39 wrote:
I also extremely hate 'difference feminists'...The ones who push the idea of women as baby makers and nurturers, elevate these things as sacred, and see men as lesser because they don't give birth. VOMIT. They manage to be grossly unfair to both men and women. Men, because they treat them as lesser because they don't get pregnant and poop the baby out, and women because they reduce women to just wombs. They do it in a nice way, but damn. I'm a sentient girl with a mind and skills and opinions, not just a brood mare whose main job is to give birth and nurture.

Add those of a 'Masculine science is the symbolic rape of nature's sacred feminine!' persuasion to the list, and we're in full agreement.

Indeed! Attacking science and reason is just plain insanity.

Squirrelrat
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Nov 2010, 9:35 pm

I cannot be a humanist without being both a feminist and a masculinist.

Sahmiam
Raven
Raven

23 Nov 2010, 10:31 pm

I'm not a feminist. When I first found out about the glass ceiling and the differences between mens' and womens' wages, I was pretty peeved. But I was a third-grader and I got over it.

I'm glad that I'm a woman. I raise our children and clean the house. I wear an apron when I bake cookies. I don't want "equal treatment" with men. I'm good at what I do and I don't feel shame in it.

Bunneth
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Nov 2010, 7:08 am

I'm fairly indifferent. I believe that we should all be able to do whatever jobs we want to, and are capable, of doing and receive equal pay for it but at the same time I've encountered a level of hostility towards my choice of lifestyle. I'm a housewife and happy to be so; I love taking care of my husband and the house and feel no desire to go back to work, as most of the jobs I've had have been so stressful and have made me very unhappy.

I've found that when I'm at parties and people ask me what I do, when I tell them I'm a housewife they seem disappointed in me and conversation stops. It's almost like I'm letting the side down. Sometimes women have been almost antipathetic towards me because they feel I should be "making more of my life". I guess this links back to a thread I started a while ago about how you define yourself, and many people use their jobs to define themselves, so they can't understand how someone doesn't subscribe to their way of thinking. That's not to say that I define myself by being a housewife; it's just one aspect of who I am, but one that I'm proud of.

alicedress
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Nov 2010, 8:24 am

petitesouris wrote:
Erisad wrote:
feminazi. = anti-male mentality.

i think that term is just an easy way for chauvinists or ultraconservatives to silence people by calling them fascists. the cruel irony. it's like the pot that calls the kettle black.

I think you're on to something. ;)

mechanicalgirl39 wrote:

That's more fertility worship than feminism, and yeah, I hate that too.

peaceloveerin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Aug 2011, 7:36 pm

I definitely consider myself a feminist!

I've always wondered if its common for Aspie women to be feminists, since they don't like many feminine things? :wink:

21 Aug 2011, 1:19 pm

Mysty wrote:
To me, a woman calling herself a feminist sounds like she's more concerned about women and women's issues than men.

That's precisely correct. Feminism is a divide-and-conquer strategy invented by upper middle class urban white girls that first tried to turn sistahs against brothas in the 70s. And now aspie women are being turned against aspie men(as NT women hate men who are socially inept)by NT feminists. :evil:

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2011, 2:13 pm

I don't think that aspie women are that stupid.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2011, 2:32 pm

AspieRogue wrote:
Mysty wrote:
To me, a woman calling herself a feminist sounds like she's more concerned about women and women's issues than men.

That's precisely correct. Feminism is a divide-and-conquer strategy invented by upper middle class urban white girls that first tried to turn sistahs against brothas in the 70s. And now aspie women are being turned against aspie men(as NT women hate men who are socially inept)by NT feminists. :evil:

i DON'T have a problem with aspie men. i DO have a problem with any person, NT or aspie, who doesn't support feminism. women worked long and hard to gain the rights they have managed thus far. none of the recent progress for women would have happened without feminism and women still do not fully have equality with men in some arenas, so as far as i am concerned trying to pretend it is a primarily anti-male movement just because of the name is quite misinformed and dismissive.

you are also quite confused about the origins of modern feminism (and there are much earlier roots than this, under movements of another name):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First-wave_feminism

NT women didn't turn me against anyone - i think for myself and call 'em as i see 'em.

Last edited by hyperlexian on 21 Aug 2011, 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Henbane
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2011, 2:48 pm

AspieRogue wrote:
Mysty wrote:

What does aspieness or NTness have to do with feminism?

Feminism is about basic rights that women take for granted now. The right to vote, go to university, to choose what you do with your life, whether that's follow a career path or have lots of kids and be a housewife or a combination of both.

It's really basic, recognising that a woman's worth, her mind, her opinions, her ambitions, are just a valid as a man's.

It shouldn't oppress men in any way, I'm a feminist, I'm also a masculinist. I want all people to fulfill their potential, express themselves, live their life the way they see fit. I'm certainly not against aspie men. They are some of my favouritist people.

22 Aug 2011, 1:56 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
AspieRogue wrote:
Mysty wrote:

i DON'T have a problem with aspie men. i DO have a problem with any person, NT or aspie, who doesn't support feminism. women worked long and hard to gain the rights they have managed thus far. none of the recent progress for women would have happened without feminism and women still do not fully have equality with men in some arenas, so as far as i am concerned trying to pretend it is a primarily anti-male movement just because of the name is quite misinformed and dismissive.

you are also quite confused about the origins of modern feminism (and there are much earlier roots than this, under movements of another name):

NT women didn't turn me against anyone - i think for myself and call 'em as i see 'em.

I'm talking about 2nd wave feminism, and to some extent 3rd wave feminism. Second wave feminism has some strains that certainly are anti-male and even anti-heterosexual(that is, they seek to chastise women who enjoy having sex with men as well as heterosexual men for desiring sex with women).

But in all honesty I ask you, DO you identify more with being female then with being an aspie? Or perhaps vice versa.......Because over the years I've run into aspie feminists who really don't give a s**t about aspies as a group but espouse solidarity with NT women.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2011, 2:10 pm

AspieRogue wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
AspieRogue wrote:
Mysty wrote:

I'm talking about 2nd wave feminism, and to some extent 3rd wave feminism. Second wave feminism has some strains that certainly are anti-male and even anti-heterosexual(that is, they seek to chastise women who enjoy having sex with men as well as heterosexual men for desiring sex with women).

But in all honesty I ask you, DO you identify more with being female then with being an aspie? Or perhaps vice versa.......Because over the years I've run into aspie feminists who really don't give a sh** about aspies as a group but espouse solidarity with NT women.

there are definitely some extreme feminist views that i do not agree with, but that does not make feminism itself irrelevant or anti-male. just like christians (for example) should not be judged only according to the most radical conservative sects, neither should feminism itself be judged like that.

i identify as a human being, primarily. i don't force myself into any particular boxes, and i don't force myself to have any particular allegiance because of particular sex characteristics or disorders.

at no time have i ever stood in a crowd and been asked to sort myself according to aspieness vs. gender. in real life i do not see AS and feminism as mutually exclusive, so a choice like that does not hold any relevance for me.

i do not think you should expect fellow aspies of either gender to support you in whatever way if you happen to have anti-feminist, as many aspies are feminists themselves or at least support feminism (both women AND men - i was married to a male feminist).

in what way have aspie women turned away from you because of feminism? can you provide some examples?

22 Aug 2011, 2:17 pm

Well hyperlexian, they haven't specifically turned ME away due to being feminists but there was someone on the now defunct aspie form Aspergian Island with the username "twiginthewind" who seemed to chastise aspie men on that forum just for being men. I've heard some aspie men complain that whenever they talk about their aspie issues from a male perspective, they are attacked as being "sexist" by aspie women who are ostensibly feminist. I salute feminists who strive for equal rights for everyone, but sadly many women who label themselves that way are more concerned with womens interests than universal equity. Perhaps it's just hard for many aspies to empathize with the opposite sex.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2011, 3:52 pm

AspieRogue wrote:
Well hyperlexian, they haven't specifically turned ME away due to being feminists but there was someone on the now defunct aspie form Aspergian Island with the username "twiginthewind" who seemed to chastise aspie men on that forum just for being men. I've heard some aspie men complain that whenever they talk about their aspie issues from a male perspective, they are attacked as being "sexist" by aspie women who are ostensibly feminist. I salute feminists who strive for equal rights for everyone, but sadly many women who label themselves that way are more concerned with womens interests than universal equity. Perhaps it's just hard for many aspies to empathize with the opposite sex.

yes i think we all have issues with this... often it's a matter of having problems with Theory of Mind.

women on here (feminists or not) are generally willing to help a man who asks for advice. but if he decides to complain about all of the perceived faults of all women, he will be met with a lot less sympathy, empathy, or helpful assistance. the same goes for a woman if she complains about all men.

i haven't personally seen anyone on here chastised simply for being male. you've taken a leap from hearsay to assuming that some feminist aspies have an anti-male agenda because of the influence of NT females.

EDIT: something i don't understand... you are criticising feminist aspies for (supposedly) identifying as female first and aspies second, YET.... that's how you view them yourself, according to your statement in another thread:

AspieRogue wrote:
I tend to look upon aspie women as women first and aspies second until I get to know them further.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2011, 6:19 pm

AspieRogue wrote:

But in all honesty I ask you, DO you identify more with being female then with being an aspie? Or perhaps vice versa.......Because over the years I've run into aspie feminists who really don't give a sh** about aspies as a group but espouse solidarity with NT women.

I consider myself mostly a 3rd wave feminist, mainly because I see it as the wave that tries to include and accept everyone who is unjustly oppressed by the birthright powers-that-be.