Page 14 of 15 [ 238 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Jonsi
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2011, 9:47 am

I'm going to revise my answer to just extreme forms of metal, rap and electronica.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

19 Feb 2011, 3:39 pm

IceCreamGirl wrote:
dunbots wrote:
I think that rap is good in theory, but since all they sing about is ***** and ***, I don't like it.
Quote:

Some rap is inappropriate, but do you think the song Magic by B.o.B. is inappropriate? Nine-year-olds listen to it.

Will Smith is pretty clean & Run DMC isn't offensive either.
& just cuz 9year-olds listen to something doesn't mean it's not inappropriate. Lots of 9year-olds listen to the song Birthday Sex

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2011, 2:33 am

I'm not really a big fan of metalcore and nu-metal.. I don't like the whole avenaged sevenfold or killswitch engage scene.

I could go on a long I hate rap/justin bieber rant but I don't want to sound like a stereotypical metalhead. XD

MooCow
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2011, 3:50 am

I don't "hate" any genre... there are ones I don't much care for, such as R&B, but I don't hate them.

If you don't like certain genres thats fine, but dismissing them as crap, or the musicians as talentless hacks is pretty narrow-minded. You don't have to "like" a style to appreciate the talent involved.

But that's just my opinion.

Ai_Ling
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2011, 11:57 pm

Jazz, country, J-pop, reggie, hawaiian music, sappy pop ballads

these are the genres I mostly dont like, I will occationally like a song in one of them. Theres really isnt anything I can think of that I 100% hate

K3inMitl3id
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Mar 2011, 1:37 am

Pop, modern rap, nu-metal, some "alternative" metal.

Anything shallow, overhyped, and without talent.

anikatheoddone
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Mar 2011, 9:35 pm

i actually like rap and i do like SOME metal as long as its melodic and not "oh look at me im so masculine!"
wat i REALLY cant stand is country, polka, and Hannah Montana in general.

Dnuos
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2011, 12:02 am

There's nothing necessarily wrong with rap, it's just not music.

It belongs more with poetry. There's no melody, no harmony, or anything in rap music, there's only some rhythm which in itself is very rarely creative enough to compensate for the lack of "music" put into the "songs". Poetry can have a sense of rhythm in it; and in rap "music" where the rhythm is always basic 4/4 time and the same "beat" or "rhythm" all the way through the "song", it definitely belongs more with poetry.

The only thing demonstrated in rap music is their ability to speak (not "sing", but "speak" - another thing distinguishing it from actual music) quickly with rhyming and catchy lyrics. I don't understand why it's so popular as a "music form".

The fact that so many lyrics are about sex, sex, and more and more sex, drugs, and all sorts of "gangsta" culture that have been repeated for over ten years now, doesn't help it's side or anything. Groups like AC/DC can partially get away with that since their singer still "sings" and the others demonstrate that they know something about music.

Music belongs to music. Nothing wrong with singing, and nothing necessarily wrong with some spoken word in a song. But there is something wrong with something with very little melody if any and no thought put into any of the rhythm or anything else. If we're demonstrating something with vocabulary, it belongs to poetry like everything else that shows off vocabulary. Music's for showing off... well, music. Maybe I just have something against lyrics or something, I'm overreacting here. :roll:

Just kind of had to rant since rap was brought up earlier. :S I don't hate rap, but the more I think about it, the less sense it makes to consider it "music". At least in the traditional sense of the word; you could record birds chirping and call it music, but if we're going to go avant-garde, rap's not really even in that avenue. I don't mind poetry, but I tend to enjoy poetry more when the words actually mean something and aren't ripped off of every single other rapper for the past several years.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2011, 9:56 am

Rap IS music, though. You may not find it very appealing--indeed, I don't like rap, either. But it's still music.

I would even contend that rap music is a lot more progressive than anything else that's out there right now. There's no experimentation in a lot of pop and other commercialized music. The one thing I do have to give rap music credit for is the creative use of synthesized sounds and effects in loops (aka "beats"). If not for rap DJs, the turntable wouldn't have become a musical instrument itself.

It's a lot more avant-garde than anything else that's out there right now, that's for sure.

Now, being avant-garde doesn't make it GOOD. I find the lyrics to be empty and superficial. There is some interesting use of language, some things that resemble jibberish more than actual words, but that's about it. You know, like "I shoot the shizzle with my nizzle, busting a cap from my g-zizzle." :lol:

I was a child during the Golden Age of commercial music, which for our purposes means I remember when rap music first hit the radio. I was "Down with OPP," doin' the "Wild Thing" and drinking "Funky Cold Medina" which made "Me So Horny." I knew what part of the day was Hammertime because you "Can't Touch This," and I was "Too Legit Too Quit." I remember DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince. And since I live in the south, I hardly ever got to see snow; but there was a lot of "Ice, Ice, Baby."

And then there's their legacy: You wouldn't have nu-metal Linkin Park without some precedent for rap-rock fusion. You know, like Run DMC.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgmyVLheqkQ[/youtube]

The thing that killed rap for a lot of people early on were groups like NWA and 2Live Crew, not to mention the "gangsta rappers" later. I realize that much of that music in the beginning was more for novelty or shock value, but sadly it had a lasting influence on lyrics. Radio back then hadn't gotten segregated quite as much as it is now--you had country stations, pop stations, and oldies. Once more stations started playing R&B, the pop/rock stations tended to shield us from a lot of the garbage that started creeping into the so-called "black" stations. They catered to a specific audience rather than a broader "white" or "mixed" audience, so what the rappers were doing didn't hit us enough to cause much of an uproar. I think that contributed more to the degradation of rap lyrics and the desensitization of the listening audience. The above-posted Run-DMC video would be "wigitty-WHACK" by today's "standards."

Which is exactly why I liked Kid Rock back in the day (before he became a "singer") and Linkin Park. Some of the positive qualities of current rap music has creeped into other areas of pop music, which is prevalent in new stuff like Britney Spears, Lady Gaga, etc. I find Spears to be on the cheap side when it comes to content, so I don't really listen much to her. There's just no doubt, though, that rap music is still music, though a lot of it is unpalatable for many of us. Musically there's not really anything else that's really more innovative, and you'll hear more and more influence from hip hop in "whiter shades" of music.

old_fool
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Mar 2011, 12:26 pm

Jonsi wrote:
I'm going to revise my answer to just extreme forms of metal, rap and electronica.
This.

But I make an exception for this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqXi8WmQ_WM
because it makes fun of rap. Note: NSFW! But funny :D

Aniluv
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Mar 2011, 7:11 pm

Personally i listen to pretty much everything. I like some metal but i must say it is my least favorite. I can see why you dislike rap if you only listen to what's constantly pumped out on the airwaves, but trust me there is definitely some really great stuff out there. Lupe Fiasco for instance if you're willing to give it a chance.

Walter
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Mar 2011, 7:14 pm

Hardrock

bdubs
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

04 Mar 2011, 11:33 pm

my brother loves country but i cant stand it

Bill_Bailey
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Mar 2011, 11:01 am

I listen to most genres but if you wanted to torture me, tie me down and play Miles Davis at full volume; my head will explode

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2011, 1:56 pm

old_fool wrote:
Jonsi wrote:
This.

But I make an exception for this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqXi8WmQ_WM
because it makes fun of rap. Note: NSFW! But funny :D

I like rap and even I like that song. I have it in my iTunes library :D

I like this one better though:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xC03hmS1Brk[/youtube]

Ya gotta love satire :)

old_fool

05 Mar 2011, 4:08 pm

Asp-Z wrote:
I like this one better though:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xC03hmS1Brk[/youtube]

Ya gotta love satire :)
That one is good, but not great: Lajoie overdid the "oh, wait.." stunt. It's funny if he does it once per song.

If you really do like rap, I am 100% sure you'll like these:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AE4zF36dPxE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbAJivTHPoQ

I don't like rap, and even I liked those :D Lajoie makes fun of rap, but he is probably one of the best rappers around.