NZ: Ex-cop in firing line after abuse claim

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Ahaseurus2000
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2010, 6:37 pm

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/3546286 ... buse-claim

Quote:
An independent Police Complaints Authority investigator who allegedly called a complainant "a complete a***hole" may lose his job.

Investigator Larry Reid, a former police officer, offered to resign after making the remarks about complainant Jakob Christie, and his future will be considered at a meeting of the authority's board after Easter.

Reid was investigating the case of Christie, whose neck was allegedly broken by a police baton when police broke up a noisy party in Wellington last September, and of 10 other young people. They complained that the police used excessive and unnecessary force.

Iain Morrison, father of one of the three hosts at the party, said Reid had told him that Christie "was `a complete a***hole'.

He said he had a serious alcohol problem and when he was under the influence of alcohol his behaviour was completely out of control."

Lawyer Keith Jefferies, who represents Christie, said Reid's remarks indicated a bias and meant that "a fair consideration of the complaint becomes impossible".

Gerry Cuneen, acting national manager of investigations at the authority, said the investigator (Reid) had offered his resignation and his future would be considered by the authority's board at its next meeting after Easter. Reid "has ceased all involvement with the complaint" and a Queen's Counsel was now reviewing his investigation.

The authority would decide how to proceed with the investigation after the QC's review was finished.

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2010, 1:27 am

You might think all manner of things (no enforceable law bans abusive thoughts) but unless you have a problem that makes thoughts leak out then if you are in such a post then you should keep abusive thoughts to yourself in your mind.

Even if you have a problem keeping your nasty thoughts inside your head, it is best if you try not to say such offensive things.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2010, 1:46 am

Damn, I wish cops in the US would resign so easily. Here in my city (Seattle) we had a cop on video punching and kicking a 15 year old girl and it took a lot of effort to fire him. They actually charged him with assault, but the charge was basically a slap on the wrist.

I actually think firing this guy sounds a little excessive, maybe if it were a pervasive pattern, but for one incident it seems harsh. I do think that those in authority should be held to a higher standard, but too often that's just not the case.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2010, 4:50 am

Dox47 wrote:
Damn, I wish cops in the US would resign so easily. Here in my city (Seattle) we had a cop on video punching and kicking a 15 year old girl and it took a lot of effort to fire him. They actually charged him with assault, but the charge was basically a slap on the wrist.

I actually think firing this guy sounds a little excessive, maybe if it were a pervasive pattern, but for one incident it seems harsh. I do think that those in authority should be held to a higher standard, but too often that's just not the case.

Dox47 he is not an ordinary police officer. PCA in the UK of NZ is supposed to be independent of the police their job is to handle complaints against the police and investigate them fully, there is also a separate force that investigates corruption within the police. Civil service job are not for everyone, you have to have the capacity to separate private life from the necessary impartiality in the job, and especially in the case of police not prejudice cases. It is challenging because sometimes they have to leave victims in the dark whilst the case is ongoing, the problem is if they don't they could be accused of conspiracy.

I don't understand how someone can be charged with assault and still remain the police. You would get an immediate suspension; if he is proven innocent then he can return to his job. If hit was clear cut caught in the act, then he would have been put on permanent leave.

Ahaseurus2000
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2010, 11:22 pm

Woodpecker wrote:
You might think all manner of things (no enforceable law bans abusive thoughts) but unless you have a problem that makes thoughts leak out then if you are in such a post then you should keep abusive thoughts to yourself in your mind.

Even if you have a problem keeping your nasty thoughts inside your head, it is best if you try not to say such offensive things.

I only created a thread on this because I think it is of interest to other members. I am not on any side here.