Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

asdsa
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Apr 2010, 2:42 am

Language, as a subject, has always fascinated me
and it's my dream to be able to speak another language fluently
the problem is, i'm terrible when it comes to trying to learn a language

At first, i'm really enthusiastic and can easily learn new words and phrases, but after a while, my interest just seems to taper off.
I always seem distracted by some other subject that takes my interest, and it seems like i will never be able to achieve my dream
I've actually gone through several languages, but...
I've always have had difficulty doing things that i wasn't interested in
sometimes i feel so lazy

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2010, 5:54 am

I have the same problem. I know the basic phrases for several languages, but like you after I get to a certain point, I just can't focus. I think it is better to learn from a tutor in a class though because (I assume you are the same) teaching yourself is difficult and books can be quite vague or confusing.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2010, 6:07 am

if somebody dropped you into another country, you would be forced to learn the local language and quickly. you need something to force you to keep at it, something like a friendly pen pal from another country to give you an incentive to keep plugging away at it.

gina-ghettoprincess
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2010, 6:30 am

Try to find a language that you can stay motivated to learn. Is there a language you maybe have more reason to learn, like maybe it's spoken in a country where you visit a lot, or would like to visit?

I don't really have this problem, I never really get bored of languages. Except in a few cases where I have learned a bit and then got bored and given up, that was when I didn't really have enough motivation. For example, the language I progressed least in was Finnish. My initial interest was because I had about two Finnish songs on my iPod that I liked, which it turns out isn't enough for me to stay interested. I probably wouldn't ever find myself in a situation where Finnish would be useful to me (though I probably would visit Finland at least once in my life, the same could be said of most countries, because I am fascinated by foreign countries in general). My main problem is not so much that I get bored of one language, but that I get interested in new ones, so I attempt to learn loads of different languages at once, which means I don't really do well in any of them. I don't do that anymore, though, I'm focusing on one at a time, it's much better this way.

My main language is Spanish, which I chose because I have visited Spain a few times and would like to visit again, and because I love Spanish music, and because it is one of the most widely-spoken languages on the planet (I think it is fourth, after Mandarin Chinese, Hindi, and English).

y es como un semestre"

Followthereaper90
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2010, 11:57 am

auntblabby wrote:
if somebody dropped you into another country, you would be forced to learn the local language and quickly. you need something to force you to keep at it, something like a friendly pen pal from another country to give you an incentive to keep plugging away at it.
pen pal? for god sake its 2010! use msn! :twisted:

Kaysea
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2010, 12:04 pm

I can learn language very easily by reading it, but it is almost impossible to do so by hearing it spoken. Perhaps purchasing a book in the language you wish to learn, along with a "Language X - your native language" dictionary, and read the book with the help of the dictionary. Good luck.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2010, 2:35 pm

I've always wanted to learn French. I might save up my money, and do that, at my local community college.

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2010, 3:25 pm

You could try reading children's books and comics in the language you're interested in - the more context you have to work out words you don't understand, the better.

The year is still young.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2010, 4:54 pm

I didn't take French in high school. I'm almost afraid to take it, at my local college. What if I flunk it, and all that money would be wasted? I'd like to learn it, though.

SpongeBobRocksMao
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2010, 5:05 pm

Languages is one of my special interests. I'm good at learning some and terrible at learning some others. I've been learning Spanish for 3 years and I'm very good at it, but I tried French once and failed at it.

SpongeBobRocksMao!

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2010, 5:40 pm

Spanish is my main focus right now as far as a foreign language is concerned. I'm currently in my third year in high school of taking Spanish (only two years of a foreign language are required) and I'm gradually progressing. Also, I currently live in Texas, and Latino people make up a substantial portion of the population of Texas, so learning Spanish would really benefit me. I'm considering taking further Spanish in college because I don't want to stop after three years of learning so much and gradually let everything I have learned slip away from me. I'd also like to visit Spain some time in the near future.

If I ever master the Spanish language, I don't know if I'd consider taking up another one. If I were to, I'd consider Japanese because I've had an interest in Japanese culture for years. But I also know that learning a language that is related to Spanish, like French or Italian, would be much easier than jumping into a language that has no relation to Spanish whatsoever. I guess I'll worry about that once (and if) the time comes.

bonuspoints
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Washington state - *Do I get bonus points if I act like I care?*

06 Apr 2010, 8:38 pm

I love studying foreign languages. The one I know best is Spanish (or possibly ASL). I sailed through all my language classes, but I rarely have the opportunity to use them and so my ability/fluency fades...

Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live. - Oscar Wilde