Is it a aspie thing to get upset over a little thing?

Page 2 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

superboyian
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2010, 1:05 pm

TallyMan wrote:
superboyian wrote:
... it definitely happens alot, but normally ...

I am upset because of the way you have joined the words "a" and "lot" together incorrectly to form one word "alot". This might be a little thing to you but I'm quite annoyed! Spelling mistakes are unacceptable on this forum. :wink: :lol:

LOL! :lol: you made me laugh then. Many people in the UK actually put alot instead a lot and that's what I have seemed to have picked up. Even my friends do it, especially the teachers occasionally, I normally just ignore the spell checker when it comes to these words. :lol:

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2010, 1:30 pm

Lene wrote:
the things or actions I focus on often are wrong, but that I give them too much importance in the scale of things, and that I would be happier if I learnt to shrug them off .

But the Devil's in the details - "oh, it's only one thermal tile, don't worry about it. The shuttle has thousands of those." :roll:

Dammit, these little things are important. They're f**king crucial. :evil:

But I've found myself telling other people "Don't sweat it, it's not worth getting your blood pressure up about." I guess it's matter of perspective and knowing when to 'pick your battles'.

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2010, 3:52 pm

Willard wrote:
Lene wrote:
the things or actions I focus on often are wrong, but that I give them too much importance in the scale of things, and that I would be happier if I learnt to shrug them off .

But the Devil's in the details - "oh, it's only one thermal tile, don't worry about it. The shuttle has thousands of those." :roll:

Dammit, these little things are important. They're f**king crucial. :evil:

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic, but yeah, it does feel a bit like that :lol: . It's as if small actions are premonitions of a much larger problem and need to be fixed right away or the actions will get worse further down the line. It's a bit like that saying 'nip it in the bud'.

The thing is, when I explain that the action upsets me, it seems too trivial to the other person to take it seriously. And I suppose I should just sit tight and wait and see if the actions do get worse later on, or if this time was just a once off. But it's like, to continue using your analogy, sitting in the cockpit of the shuttle crossing your fingers and hoping nothing else falls off.

Edit; just a thought, but I wonder if people with aspergesr are more likely to act like this because of the way we learn social skills. We don't 'pick them up on the job' as much as NTs, but learn them as a foreign language. Would this make us more likely to see associations in behaviour where others don't? Or perhaps we haven't seen enough behaviours so we try to correlate all actions to the limited behaviours we have observed?

ValMikeSmith
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2010, 4:07 pm

Toolbars are not trivial.
They are trojan horse viruses and it is often very hard to get rid of them.
I'd be pissed if someone infected my computer with a virus too.

They look so trivial and convenient though don't they? :evil: :evil: :evil:

edit:Clarifying that these evil faces are about toolbar, not anyone who posted.

Last edited by ValMikeSmith on 05 Apr 2010, 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2010, 4:11 pm

ValMikeSmith wrote:
Toolbars are not trivial.
They are trojan horse viruses and it is often very hard to get rid of them.
I'd be pissed if someone infected my computer with a virus too.

They look so trivial and convenient though don't they? :evil: :evil: :evil:

Didn't know that :? . That's the thing though, did the OP's aspie point that out, or did he just have a meltdown? I think we give other people too much credit sometimes and expect them to know what we know all the time. NTs definitely do that to us as well, but because they are the majority, it's more acceptable beacuse there's a chance most people do know.

Sometimes we have to learn to cut down our feelings and views into bite-sized chunks, flavour them with diplomacy, and spoon feed them to the person we are talking to.

millie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2010, 4:17 pm

I get very affected by the small details and can easily take offense because of hypersensitivity. And i note on WP, this seems to be fairly common amongst many. It's a different style of being - it makes for a lot of incredible mind power and sensitivity and insight in people here which I find fascinating and stimulating, and it also makes it hard for us to connect with each other at times. At times, it seems the only unifier is this incredible sensitivity to detail. What a funny paradox.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2010, 4:23 pm

I get upset over details from time to time. I think that it's part of my nature.

Anastasia
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Apr 2010, 4:25 pm

Oh God yes I can get upset over the most silliest things and can stay upset for weeks over it. As a kid I remember my mother always telling me I'm too thin skinned and that I should grow a skin and that always made me feel worse. So now as an adult if someone says anything to upset me I just keep quiet about it, don't know if thats a good thing or not. :?

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2010, 4:47 pm

I can't think how many times I have wanted to throw my computer across the room. Some things on here have pissed me off in the past I wanted to scream and make a post but I knew it start a drama so I kept it to myself. I don't know if it's considered a little thing or not. I can never tell.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2010, 4:50 pm

League_Girl wrote:
I can't think how many times I have wanted to throw my computer across the room. Some things on here have pissed me off in the past I wanted to scream and make a post but I knew it start a drama so I kept it to myself. I don't know if it's considered a little thing or not. I can never tell.

This.

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2010, 5:40 pm

I disagree, I think that we do not necessarily get *more* riled up/upset about things than other people, I think that the things we get upset *about* are different.

There's an important distinction there.

As a person, I generally get less upset in general than most people, but the things I do get upset about are different. If someone 'snubs' me, or gossips about me behind my back, or says something mean about my hairstyle, or if some celebrity dies, or if a sad people scene happens in a movie, or even (and it pains me to say this) someone one of my friends or family members knows dies I don't tend to get upset, whereas others do. However, the things I get upset about other people don't.

Generally speaking, I find the amount of time I spend upset overall, is less. I think maybe many aspies might spend more time overall upset, but I don't think that's because of our inherent nature, I think it's because society is insensitive to the things we get upset about, and sensitive to the things the majority of people who are not us get upset about. I think it really depends on the individual.

Bluefins
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2010, 6:30 pm

Yes, and it's a NT thing to get upset over people getting upset over little things. Just accept the correction and move on, there's no need for them to start arguing about it either.

Athenacapella
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Apr 2010, 7:50 pm

I've definitely toned it way down over the past 5 years, but yes, this is classic me.

dt18
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Apr 2010, 9:26 pm

I've been told that time and time again. I'm guessing it is an AS thing myself.

Avarice
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2010, 9:53 pm

I get very upset over small things, sometimes I want to throw a fit and throw something when eating dinner with family because I can hear chewing.

My computer irritates me, people irritate me, everything irritates me.

superboyian
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2010, 11:02 am

Avarice wrote:
I get very upset over small things, sometimes I want to throw a fit and throw something when eating dinner with family because I can hear chewing.

My computer irritates me, people irritate me, everything irritates me.

The part of the quote in bold is currently the thing that is irritating me right now.