Page 3 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

happymusic
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2010, 12:11 pm

Moog wrote:

Nowadays I rather enjoy touch. I don't get enough touch. Anyone want to touch me? Penny a go.

oooohhhh...a moog penny arcade... me likes!

ursaminor
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2010, 12:43 pm

Not anyone, really.
Although I like my cat.
It is a nice cat.

FredOak3
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Apr 2010, 12:51 pm

My wife, The kids (like others mentioned as long I see it coming) other then that , that's it!

I really get annoyed by these people at work that have to pat your arm or put a hand on your shoulder. It makes me want to scream "Get out of my space!"

And it's tought the other way around. I'm not thrilled about shaking hands or being in a confined space with too many people and will try to back into a corner so as not to touch anyone.

Man, I'm such a basket case.

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2010, 12:54 pm

My girlfriend. :)

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.

persian85033
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2010, 1:29 pm

My cat's the only one I like touching me. Especially like on my arms when I'm wearing short sleeves, or my feet when I'm not wearing shoes, or my face.

"Of all God's creatures, there is only one that cannot be made slave of the leash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve the man, but it would deteriorate the cat." - Mark Twain

soaring
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Apr 2010, 1:51 pm

FredOak3 wrote:
My wife, The kids (like others mentioned as long I see it coming) other then that , that's it!

This. And nearly every dog on the planet.

FredOak3 wrote:
I really get annoyed by these people at work that have to pat your arm or put a hand on your shoulder. It makes me want to scream "Get out of my space!"

Gives me the CREEPS!

And I don't like shaking hands too much, I don't mind that much anymore, but I often simply forget to when it is expected which is quite embarrassing.

Celoneth
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2010, 2:41 pm

My cat, he's nice and soft and doesn't give me much of a choice :D don't like his whiskers though so I always have to move him around so they aren't touching me. Don't like people touching me, it feels weird.

MommyJones
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2010, 2:49 pm

ProfessorAspie wrote:
With me it's my wife. She can touch me anytime and it doesn't bother me. Sadly, I can't say that about my kids. They can really freak me out at times...tickly little fingers unnerve me. I remember my little son used to need to sleep with us once in a while and he would drive me nuts because he would reach out to touch me as he slept. Sometimes it even got me angry.
Poor kiddo. I wish I had known what my issue was back then...

Somehow, though, I never, or almost never mind my wife.

This is so my husband! Me, all the time...my son? He just touches him with his toe and he's yelling for him to stop. Makes me feel better it's not just him :)

irishwhistle
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2010, 3:13 pm

I agree about handshakes. Hands are disgusting. I'm not really a germ-o-phobe, heck, I'm not even that tidy. Hands are just really personal, and tend to be oily, sweaty, and have a little of everything else as well. And I know I'm always wiping my eyes, rubbing my face, scratching my head, etc, so really people just shouldn't be shaking my hand. I'm always itchy somewhere, there's not much I can do about it. And wouldn't you know it, where the women in my church are always hugging, guess what the men choose? Yep, the hearty handshake. Mind you, before I decided to risk seeming rude (by definition, being rude, I guess) by avoiding handshakes as much as possible, I did find that you can get a lot of a person's personality from the handshake... The lighter ones make me wonder why they bother since they obviously don't care much about it, the stronger ones, to the point of being painful, irritate me to no end because I think people should give some thought before crushing a person's hand (go figure). The ones in between are most tolerable, but it's like a lot of things I've come to avoid in recent years... after a while I just can't take the pressure of trying to figure out which type I'll be dealing with and have chosen to dispense with it rather than try to figure out how firmly to squeeze. Simple civility is enough, surely.

On a different tangent of the same topic... What about too much pressure? I agree that firm touch is better, provided you don't get someone like the crusher handshake types... if someone touches too lightly or is too overbearing, I'm going react poorly. Light touch can bring the nervous cat response, y'know, a startle. Overbearing touch is actually worse... where considerate firmness can set me at ease, roughness can trigger a fight or flight response. This is logical to me, considering what roughness means... attack, force, robbery, rape, the intent to take what you would not give if asked.

I once had a college roommate, a rather hefty girl back when I was tall and thin and fairly weak, decide it would be funny to take a running leap at me when I was bent down writing something in the snow with my finger. So one minute I'm forming words and the next I am face down in a snow drift with this moose on my back. I panicked, thrashed, got out and onto my feet and screamed, I mean primal scream here, "WHY DID YOU DO THAT?" and turned and pelted home as fast as I could run. By the time the bunkies caught up with me I was sitting and drawing repetitive shapes in my sketch pad... over and over and over...

I ask you, do other people, attacked without provocation, roll over and start laughing? She meant no harm, I don't doubt that. There may have been some latent irritation, I certainly wasn't a sweet girl, not careful with my words. But it had been a long time since the rough and tumble days of my childhood. Anyway, I don't get it.

The world loves diversity... as long as it's pretty, makes them look smart and doesn't put them out in any way.

There's the road, and the road less traveled, and then there's MY road.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2010, 3:57 pm

DavidM wrote:
Moog wrote:
happymusic wrote:

Nowadays I rather enjoy touch. I don't get enough touch. Anyone want to touch me? Penny a go.

Can I give you a little stroke on the knee? :flower:

/me indicates money tin and proffers leg.

StuartN
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2010, 3:17 pm

Mostly it is either yuck or irritating, sometimes painful (although I guess the pain comes from flinching to avoid touch). And I absolutely hate those social hugs, especially from people I know well but only through work (office hugs are the most excruciating intrusion). There is a strong sense of insecurity.

I generally do not mind being touched by dentists, nurses, doctors and so on when they have explained precisely what they are going to do beforehand, or I know what they are going to do. I actually like the physical contact in a safe context.

WoundedDog
Raven
Raven

07 Apr 2010, 5:54 pm

I used to be very openly affectionate, but that has changed in recent years.

I have one friend who likes to cuddle. We're perfectly fine with taking our meds together and cuddling/talking for hours on end. Nothing romantic at all. In fact, it's curbed my urge to be in any romantic relationships at all.

Besides her, I'm very uncomfortable with people touching me anymore. There are various sensitive spots that make me flinch involuntarily upon contact. I was touched by someone I was just introduced to the other night and I got very hostile and snippy with her when she touched my arm.

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2010, 10:22 pm

My bearded dragon. When she was a baby, it was a tickly sensation when she would scurry across my hands and arms. She's just about all grown up now and her claws are now actualy claws. She's gotten used to me and is now content to just sit and be cuddled. I love how she feels and the soothing "energy" that emits from her. I love how her back is prickly and her underside is so soft and "squishy". She is handfed and sometimes she will miss the worm and get my fingers instead. Her little tounge coming out and touching my fingers feels so neat. She is my favorite thing to touch and be touched by.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2010, 6:01 am

Anybody as long as I don't dislike them and as long as they don't take me by surprise. And they have to be reasonably clean.

It can seem strange if I don't know them well, but not so strange that I'll feel unhappy about it.

Agnieszka
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2010, 6:05 am

I like being touched and I guess almost anybody could touch me but my favourite touchers ;) are my husband and daughter of course :)

persian85033
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2010, 1:25 pm

soaring wrote:
And I don't like shaking hands too much, I don't mind that much anymore, but I often simply forget to when it is expected which is quite embarrassing.

I actually met some other aspies, and shook hands with a couple of them, and I think they shake hands like me. I don't like handshakes and I was a bit taken aback. I don't really 'shake', I just hand out my hand, keep my fingers apart, let the other person take it, shake, and let go as soon as possible. They seemed just as reluctant to shake hands, and didn't really shake. Our palms just touched for a minute, and we quickly withdrew.

"Of all God's creatures, there is only one that cannot be made slave of the leash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve the man, but it would deteriorate the cat." - Mark Twain