theist and atheist. Are these words really needed?

Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2010, 4:15 pm

waltur wrote:
it's important to understand that there is a distinction between things that are different. this is especially true when such things are contradictory. as much as atheists would like to think theism shouldn't be considered "default," we have to admit that it is the norm.

+ 1 for demonstration of cogitation.

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2010, 4:59 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
There are no apothecaries around today, nor cartwrights, so currently these words have no meaning. Lets abolish them from the new prescriptivist dictionary.

Really there is a wheelwright and cartwright in my town, and I know of several apothecaries.

Theistic nomenclature is so prevalent today because religious believe is once again trying to hold back society, and introduce laws based upon religion. The natural upshot of this in a far more enlightened world is opposition from those who want science and reason to prevail. So the atheist vs theist debates that are raging on the internet and finally spilling out into the public arena have a very definite cause and purpose. It is not some manufactured debate

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2010, 5:04 pm

chaotik_lord wrote:
I would think it should be mentioned on a first date, if it is that important, wouldn't it be best to know that you are in agreement?

If you are on a date and if you want to get laid, I presume anything that would make the partner unpleasent should be avoided in that regard and it would screw up your plans :P, in other words, don't ever disagree... I mean, always pretend to agree. ;)

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2010, 10:36 am

waltur wrote:
Great link of atheist quotes ordered by awesomeness

it's important to understand that there is a distinction between things that are different. this is especially true when such things are contradictory. as much as atheists would like to think theism shouldn't be considered "default," we have to admit that it is the norm.
Turning the thread into a links thread:

http://www.atheistcartoons.com/

MrDiamondMind
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

Location: Encapsulated within a skull; covered in sheets of skin

08 Apr 2010, 6:07 pm

Should you call a person who doesn't collect stamps a non-stamp collector? No. Why? Because the difference between collecting or not collecting stamps is worth s**t.

Should you call someone who doesn't believe deities exist an atheist? Yes. Why? Because that's the difference between believing that a space wizard created the cosmos, and that reality is ultimately human-centered, versus believing that no such sky/space wizards/daddies exist, with the universe not giving two s**ts about humanity and what it can ultimately grasp & achieve.

Also, most humans believe in cloud magicians, so the term becomes necessary with all points mentioned.

you_are_what_you_is
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2010, 6:40 pm

Michaels wrote:
So why should we have words to refer to whether or not people believe in god(s)?

Why not?

I find the words to be quite useful, and for me, that's a good enough reason to keep using them.

waltur
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2010, 9:22 pm

MrDiamondMind wrote:
Should you call a person who doesn't collect stamps a non-stamp collector? No. Why? Because the difference between collecting or not collecting stamps is worth sh**.

Should you call someone who doesn't believe deities exist an atheist? Yes. Why? Because that's the difference between believing that a space wizard created the cosmos, and that reality is ultimately human-centered, versus believing that no such sky/space wizards/daddies exist, with the universe not giving two s**ts about humanity and what it can ultimately grasp & achieve.

Also, most humans believe in cloud magicians, so the term becomes necessary with all points mentioned.

^^what he said^^

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2010, 10:22 am

waltur wrote:

Theism is more common, but it is learned belief and behavior. There is nothing in physical reality that supports it. In fact we are all born atheists. No baby ever was born believing in God, god or the gods. Not once.

Now why theism dominant? Historically man was ignorant. From ignorance, came fear and from fear came the belief in the gods. So the source of theism is ultimately an ignorance of how nature operates. It is only in the last few hundred years that the human race has an effective working method for figuring out what nature is and how it works.

ruveyn

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2010, 10:29 am

ruveyn wrote:
waltur wrote:

Theism is more common, but it is learned belief and behavior. There is nothing in physical reality that supports it. In fact we are all born atheists. No baby ever was born believing in God, god or the gods. Not once.

Now why theism dominant? Historically man was ignorant. From ignorance, came fear and from fear came the belief in the gods. So the source of theism is ultimately an ignorance of how nature operates. It is only in the last few hundred years that the human race has an effective working method for figuring out what nature is and how it works.

ruveyn

The concept that each of us theorizes freely from babyhood to reach conclusions about the cosmos is rather unreal. Religion is indoctrinated by family and social organizations. Perhaps a few people figure it out independently.

Last edited by Sand on 09 Apr 2010, 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2010, 2:42 pm

ruveyn wrote:
No baby ever was born believing in God, god or the gods. Not once.

I was born believing I was a god.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2010, 2:49 pm

greenblue wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
No baby ever was born believing in God, god or the gods. Not once.

I was born believing I was a god.

Uh-oh, time to coin the word "auto-theist". :P