Do you hate the mainstream view of College?

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Cyanide
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2010, 2:10 pm

Janissy wrote:
Cyanide wrote:
Why are so many college students like that? Because a lot of people are too pathetic to be able to have fun without being intoxicated.

Why are so many of those people in college? Because college has been dumbed down to let in anyone who's rich enough or can take out enough loans to pay for it. It's all about profits these days, and more students = more profits. In the olden days, it was only the few and the intelligent who went to college (mostly).

My parents went to college in the olden days- the end of the 50's. I have enjoyed leafing through their college yearbooks. Their yearbooks feature photos from football games, after-game parties and in one photo; students drinking beer on the college campus. They were intelligent. They came from a selected group. They got good grades and had useful diplomas by the beginning of the 60's. And they drank at football game after-parties and on the campus grounds, in photos. These things are not mutually exclusive.

Yeah, but I doubt that all they did in their free time was party, which seems to be the norm nowadays.

Poeticromance
Toucan
Toucan

14 Apr 2010, 2:09 am

Drinking is an easy way to let loose. It gets awkward to be in a building with numerous people you barley know. Thats how I see it in their point of view. Drinking, clubbing and parties aren't the best. I've done them, there not so great.

Some people are also BORING and thats the only way they know how to have fun. I go to community college, so there isn't much parties. I also mainly talk to the "rocker" kids. So, I mainly go to local shows on the weekend xD

Psygirl6
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Apr 2010, 5:32 pm

I always see college, or any grade as work for your future. I do not know how someone could get drunk all night and have to study, get up for an 8am class while doing all that partying. I know we need a break once in a while, but think of the consequences to all of that partying. If these kids did something stupid like got arrested and they were going to school to be a lawyer or doctor, it will go on their record. Me, I rather save the partying for the summer. Less distraction on my schooling.

Poeticromance
Toucan
Toucan

15 Apr 2010, 1:03 am

Psygirl6 wrote:
I always see college, or any grade as work for your future. I do not know how someone could get drunk all night and have to study, get up for an 8am class while doing all that partying. I know we need a break once in a while, but think of the consequences to all of that partying. If these kids did something stupid like got arrested and they were going to school to be a lawyer or doctor, it will go on their record. Me, I rather save the partying for the summer. Less distraction on my schooling.

Idk anyone who parties THAT MUCH. Some people party every Friday and Saturday night. Then Sunday-Thursday is all sober. Those kids still manage to fail though, lol. I like your way though. Party over Summer and work during the school year.

PrisonerSix
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2010, 9:13 am

zeldapsychology wrote:
I'm sure not ALL College students behave like this but I'm curious WHY is it football,partying,drinking etc? I remember out with my older sister I saw a calendar (with Orange/blue face guy for the FL Gators) I said that's sad she said why "I said College should be about doing your work and getting a career not football/partying/drinking etc. She said well most people don't think like you (this was before finding AS mind you YA WP!) So why do you think mainstream has this view and what's the point of this IMO "wild" behavior aren't you there to make something of yourself? What happen to your "I want to become a lawyer or *insert field here* and IMO if you are complaining of your field now QUIT! Because IT'S JUST GOING TO GET HARDER! FOR GOD SAKE I DIDN'T EVEN HAVE AN AA AND I WANTED TO READ THE TEACHERS 98 PAGE DISSERTATION (Never got to but REALLY WANTED TO!! !!)

I had the same view about college, that work should come first, and I never had any desire to party, go to football games, or any of that stuff. However, since I lived with my parents, I got it crammed down my throat because my sister liked to do those things. It was always a fight everytime I didn't want to go to a game with her, go barhopping, etc. My parents even tried telling me if I didn't go out, I'd become warped and unable to be around people. When she moved out, they stopped cramming this stuff down my throat but when she came back, it started up again.

It always bothered me they did these things to me. It was like they didn't care about my feelings on anything, that it was all about my sister. Ironically, I used to get picked on high school because I didn't like to party. I was looking forward to that being overwith once I graduated but it wasn't, it just changed to being picked on by people I went to school with to being picked on by my parents and my sister. It never made any sense.

Those years would have been happier if I had just been left alone and allowed to be myself.

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

groupoidification
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Apr 2010, 4:27 am

Seeing some pretty cliche judgements on here; one might really question the worth of going to college if you just want to shut yourself in a room and study all day. Believe it or not, successful students learn to balance their time between a healthy social life and their work/study life, and obviously too much to either side can be catastrophic. I think being a student is much more than just attending classes, but also part of the tradition of doing things you may very well only be able to do in college, i.e., such "wild behavior" as partying of course, but also things like activism and community service, or extemporaneous speaking/debating. I don't mean to be discouraging, but after most people graduate and pursue a career all of these things tend to take a backseat. Anyone who takes college as anything less than a (rather expensive) gift probably shouldn't be going to college; if they want to work, they should get a job.

If some people want to think of it in a horribly stripped down, perverse sort of utilitarianism, a lot of these people are actually building up valuable social capital which often does lead to opportunities, something absolutely necessary for practically anyone who runs for a public office or even a CEO position. If one wants to be left to themselves or only do this or that, that's their prerogative, but it really has little to do with academic success. Rather, a lot of people here would do good to learn how to get along with people better, since even in a academic position, one's success largely rests on their ability to not only produce work independently, but also to demonstrate their worth to the research community, collaborate with others and to attract students to continue their work (not to mention getting grants lol). This can mean a level of friendship and intimacy with some people, but on the larger scale it means being on good terms with a wide variety of people who may not be your friends. If you think it's hard tolerating these rather tame people in college, then what'll happen when you can't go forward with some important research project (and perhaps your career) since you couldn't get along with the other collaborators?

This ridiculous fear and ignorance of alcohol (which ironically is one of the main reasons for its widespread abuse in the US) seems really childish, along with these throwbacks to the olden days. Not long ago college was a club for affluent white (protestant) males, and one can observe remnants of this in the eating clubs and secret societies which persist today.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2010, 2:25 am

lotuspuppy wrote:
I hate that most high school kids see college as a chance to let loose and drink non-stop. Sure, college has ample leisure time away from parents, but it is meant as a time of learning. I personally feel that most people should take a year off from school, work, and then go to college. The partying may still be there, but at least the student will have a different perspective of his leisure time (and truly see it as leisure time).

What irks me more is that colleges give students a sense of entitlement, then send them into the real world on the belief they will be the next senator or CEO. That really bothers me, because it's not true. Anyone can be a senator or a CEO, but most people can't put in the time and effort. Most people shouldn't, either.

This!! ! I have lost count of the number of times I've been trying to tell people that! Alan Sugar and Richard Branson did badly in school, for example.

Schooling is in no way connected to being successful outside of employment. If you want to be a doctor or a lawyer, yes grades are important. If you want to be an entrepreneur, it does not matter what you get in school at all.

petitesouris
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 May 2010, 1:08 pm

groupoidification wrote:
Seeing some pretty cliche judgements on here; one might really question the worth of going to college if you just want to shut yourself in a room and study all day. Believe it or not, successful students learn to balance their time between a healthy social life and their work/study life, and obviously too much to either side can be catastrophic. I think being a student is much more than just attending classes, but also part of the tradition of doing things you may very well only be able to do in college, i.e., such "wild behavior" as partying of course, but also things like activism and community service, or extemporaneous speaking/debating. I don't mean to be discouraging, but after most people graduate and pursue a career all of these things tend to take a backseat. Anyone who takes college as anything less than a (rather expensive) gift probably shouldn't be going to college; if they want to work, they should get a job.

If some people want to think of it in a horribly stripped down, perverse sort of utilitarianism, a lot of these people are actually building up valuable social capital which often does lead to opportunities, something absolutely necessary for practically anyone who runs for a public office or even a CEO position. If one wants to be left to themselves or only do this or that, that's their prerogative, but it really has little to do with academic success. Rather, a lot of people here would do good to learn how to get along with people better, since even in a academic position, one's success largely rests on their ability to not only produce work independently, but also to demonstrate their worth to the research community, collaborate with others and to attract students to continue their work (not to mention getting grants lol). This can mean a level of friendship and intimacy with some people, but on the larger scale it means being on good terms with a wide variety of people who may not be your friends. If you think it's hard tolerating these rather tame people in college, then what'll happen when you can't go forward with some important research project (and perhaps your career) since you couldn't get along with the other collaborators?

This ridiculous fear and ignorance of alcohol (which ironically is one of the main reasons for its widespread abuse in the US) seems really childish, along with these throwbacks to the olden days. Not long ago college was a club for affluent white (protestant) males, and one can observe remnants of this in the eating clubs and secret societies which persist today.

personally, i do not find it attractive when someone passes out in their own vomit.

it is true that some people manage to party and get A's, which is really annoying. luckily, i do not go to a party school, so everyone is as stressed out as i am.

also, preaching the values of cooperation is empty. i am very cooperative when there is a purpose in cooperating, yet if there is no purpose in conforming, such as when i was in high school, i am a virulent anticonformist.

it is possible to be a nonconformist without lacking principles. all these morons in the media think they are so original, yet most of them act the same, so the media is just another attempt at thought control and what seems original to those in hollywood is merely lack of maturity

deep-techno
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2010, 8:30 am

I totally agree with the view that is being depicted by this thread.

I hate how university is being constantly misportrayed as a place where people get drunk and have a good time. At school we had a tutorial about drugs and alcohol and it was along the lines of finding new friends at university and avoiding those who might do that sort of thing. I hated it because it gave the impression that taking large risks such as 'getting wasted' is one of the only ways to make initial friends at university! I hate how there are so many pictures on websites such as Facebook, as well as from the general media, that give the opposite impression of what university life is supposed to be about!

Just why is there so much emphasis on university/college being an opportunity to drink? It's utter bollocks! I understand that alcohol is okay in moderation, as well as small amounts of it, but I hardly see the point in intoxicating myself with it!

However I do believe that a balance between fun and study at university is required, even more so because the students have more responsibilities of being adults. But the right balance needs to be found, because many students tend to become geared towards the fun side.