Do you hate the mainstream view of College?

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2010, 7:23 am

I'm sure not ALL College students behave like this but I'm curious WHY is it football,partying,drinking etc? I remember out with my older sister I saw a calendar (with Orange/blue face guy for the FL Gators) I said that's sad she said why "I said College should be about doing your work and getting a career not football/partying/drinking etc. She said well most people don't think like you (this was before finding AS mind you YA WP!) So why do you think mainstream has this view and what's the point of this IMO "wild" behavior aren't you there to make something of yourself? What happen to your "I want to become a lawyer or *insert field here* and IMO if you are complaining of your field now QUIT! Because IT'S JUST GOING TO GET HARDER! FOR GOD SAKE I DIDN'T EVEN HAVE AN AA AND I WANTED TO READ THE TEACHERS 98 PAGE DISSERTATION (Never got to but REALLY WANTED TO!! !!)

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2010, 7:27 am

Because NTs seem to think drinking, partying, etc, is "fun", and they all want to fit in with each other.

PlatedDrake
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2010, 7:41 am

Its called media, and supposedly the media thinks college should be about enjoying life as opposed to actually doing schoolwork. Mind you, what the media shows is limited and there are only a few movies/shows which portray college as the institution its supposed to be. When i was in college, roommates may go out once every few evenings just to get off of campus, or head out into the nearby city for the weekend and not be back until Sunday. Bear in mind, its also a bit of a social institution like any other school and you have to learn the ever so annoying "social networking" in order to get by (seems its impossible to get by on your own these days).

arielhawksquill
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2010, 8:58 am

Those people who drink and party also often end up with degrees.

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2010, 9:08 am

arielhawksquill wrote:

IMO that's sad!! ! Your focus should be school and ONLY school!! ! I understand the concept of getting away etc. maybe Spring Break to Disney or the beach (minus alcohol) but I think the "wild" behavior is silly and it's sad it's the "norm"

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2010, 9:11 am

zeldapsychology wrote:
arielhawksquill wrote:

IMO that's sad!! ! Your focus should be school and ONLY school!! ! I understand the concept of getting away etc. maybe Spring Break to Disney or the beach (minus alcohol) but I think the "wild" behavior is silly and it's sad it's the "norm"

I agree with you TBH, it's stupid.

Wedge
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2010, 9:39 am

In my college the wild behaviour only lasted until the end of the first year. That is when everything is easy. The more you progress the more people start thinking about studying (the classes get harder) and people start thinking about work. I guess most students lose interest in parties and games when they are older, they have to focus on studying and on jobs.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2010, 9:59 am

Asp-Z wrote:
Because NTs seem to think drinking, partying, etc, is "fun", and they all want to fit in with each other.

I'm not an NT in the slightest but I think parties are fun. I hardly go to any because I don't get invited to them, the last one I went to was an old friend's 16th and I loved it.

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2010, 11:19 am

zeldapsychology wrote:
arielhawksquill wrote:

I think, this is what folks thought in the older days before the summer of love during the 60s. This is the older way of thinking. The honest truth is things are so upside down in our country and the world. The truth is all that is foolishness. Your better judgement is saying that. This makes me wonder. Who has the mental illness here?

Cyanide
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2010, 11:29 am

Why are so many college students like that? Because a lot of people are too pathetic to be able to have fun without being intoxicated.

Why are so many of those people in college? Because college has been dumbed down to let in anyone who's rich enough or can take out enough loans to pay for it. It's all about profits these days, and more students = more profits. In the olden days, it was only the few and the intelligent who went to college (mostly).

ursaminor
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2010, 12:09 pm

I am glad that drinking leads to more stupid behaviour because it deteriorates your brain.
It can also make you die.
It is a poison.
All the things that are its pros are its cons.
It can make you more confident because you are too stupid to see the consequences.
Although, apparently, a red wine every night over dinner seems to be quite healthy.
But I confess that I do not work all day for school.
I am happy that this has not made my grades go down.
Other people have noticed that my perfectionism is usually just cynicism and does not motivate me to do better.
I hate all views that are not identical to mine.
My views on work are the same, do not bug other people, simply get on with your work.
And at home you can play with your trains or get intoxicated or interact socially.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2010, 9:58 pm

This is why college has been irrelevant for so long. Not that partying never went on, but now it's a right of passage to go to college for the keggers and Spring Break orgies of sex and booze.

No wonder most employers have no regard for the piece of paper you get at the end unless they know your school has exceptionally high standards. I know people who can get A's with minimal effort...they really didn't "earn" their grades with hard work.

However, I have since learned that the college experience is all about social networking. What you should be taught in college is how to socialize and climb your way to the top. Not that grades have no meaning, but the sad reality is that probably over 90% of the jobs out there will hire the "best qualified" of the "people they like." This generally means you are smarter and better than everyone else, but if you don't "win over" the people who will make the hiring decisions, you won't be selected because they want someone who "fits in" more than the most talented person available.

Had I known all of this, I'd have never gone to college....or at least I would have had totally different priorities.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2010, 9:20 am

Cyanide wrote:
Why are so many college students like that? Because a lot of people are too pathetic to be able to have fun without being intoxicated.

Why are so many of those people in college? Because college has been dumbed down to let in anyone who's rich enough or can take out enough loans to pay for it. It's all about profits these days, and more students = more profits. In the olden days, it was only the few and the intelligent who went to college (mostly).

My parents went to college in the olden days- the end of the 50's. I have enjoyed leafing through their college yearbooks. Their yearbooks feature photos from football games, after-game parties and in one photo; students drinking beer on the college campus. They were intelligent. They came from a selected group. They got good grades and had useful diplomas by the beginning of the 60's. And they drank at football game after-parties and on the campus grounds, in photos. These things are not mutually exclusive.

LoveMoney
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Apr 2010, 10:12 am

Very narrow minded reactions here.
And I love the deduction done by some people here.

²Why are some people here so offensive against NT's because they like to go party in college.
If you want to study: good for you, if somebody wants to go party: good for him. Some guys here want to make strict rules in everything, everybody needs to act that way, everybody needs to think that way.

Try to be more objective.
Or maybe thats my problem, I try to be too rational and don't really have a subjective opinion about stuff. Even if I would have a opinion about this I come back to ², so I actually have a opinion about it, an opinion that is not single minded.

lotuspuppy
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2010, 12:32 pm

I hate that most high school kids see college as a chance to let loose and drink non-stop. Sure, college has ample leisure time away from parents, but it is meant as a time of learning. I personally feel that most people should take a year off from school, work, and then go to college. The partying may still be there, but at least the student will have a different perspective of his leisure time (and truly see it as leisure time).

What irks me more is that colleges give students a sense of entitlement, then send them into the real world on the belief they will be the next senator or CEO. That really bothers me, because it's not true. Anyone can be a senator or a CEO, but most people can't put in the time and effort. Most people shouldn't, either.

Cyanide
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2010, 2:10 pm

Janissy wrote:
Cyanide wrote:

My parents went to college in the olden days- the end of the 50's. I have enjoyed leafing through their college yearbooks. Their yearbooks feature photos from football games, after-game parties and in one photo; students drinking beer on the college campus. They were intelligent. They came from a selected group. They got good grades and had useful diplomas by the beginning of the 60's. And they drank at football game after-parties and on the campus grounds, in photos. These things are not mutually exclusive.

Yeah, but I doubt that all they did in their free time was party, which seems to be the norm nowadays.