Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

barddeekin
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Apr 2010, 6:58 am

I am a bit addicted to learning foreign languages.
I am now learning Polish, which is extremely hard! It has lots of sounds that my English mouth has never had to make before.
I am good at learning nouns because i use a mnemonic memory technique which makes it hard to forget the words you learn, but learning adjectives and verbs are the challenging bit. Also learning the rules of the grammar are a challenge. One day I might be brave enough to try and learn a non-European language!
The best way to learn the basics in a language - get the audio courses by Michel Thomas. Well, his method works best for my learning style anyway.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2010, 8:04 am

sure with i had your facility for learning things in general- i have to pound stuff into my brain before any of it sticks. :(

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2010, 8:53 am

barddeekin wrote:
I am now learning Polish, which is extremely hard! It has lots of sounds that my English mouth has never had to make before.

Say something in this language to me :D

dt18
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Apr 2010, 9:18 am

barddeekin wrote:
I am a bit addicted to learning foreign languages.
I am good at learning nouns because i use a mnemonic memory technique which makes it hard to forget the words you learn, but learning adjectives and verbs are the challenging bit. Also learning the rules of the grammar are a challenge. One day I might be brave enough to try and learn a non-European language!
The best way to learn the basics in a language - get the audio courses by Michel Thomas. Well, his method works best for my learning style anyway.

I'm trying to learn Polish myself...the Polish I know now is fairly limited. I am first generation American in my family. I've been to Poland 5 times now and love it there.

SamwiseGamgee
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2010, 11:35 am

I'm currently learning German and I would have to agree that Michel Thomas is the way to go. I learned so much in the beginner course and I'm going to start the advanced one soon. It's kind of funny because the students in the recording repeatedly get some things wrong and a few times I found myself yelling at them because they were wasting time on the recording that could have been used for Michel to teach me more. :lol:

ProfessorAspie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Apr 2010, 11:48 am

me too. Although once I "learn" the language, I don't come back to it, and get rusty.

barddeekin
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Apr 2010, 12:44 pm

I actually intended for my original post to be a reply to an already existing topic about language learning but I buggered that up. But it's okay, it seems to be doing well as a topic itself.

I am okay at speaking basic polish, now I need to learn how to write it.

Valoyossa
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2010, 12:53 pm

Chodźcie do polskiego tematu!
(Come to Polish thread!) :D

----
My Industrial Love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBo5K0ZQIEY