Do other AS people / kids have a hard time falling asleep??

Page 3 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Stonecold
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2010, 6:10 pm

I have terrible insomnia. If I don't take my sleep meds, I stay up all night in bed trying to sleep.

deefor
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Aug 2010, 9:39 pm

League_Girl wrote:
I have sleeping issues and I don't really do anything about it because I don't work. I just go to bed whenever I want. When I worked, I used sleeping aids. But I had to stick to my schedule by keeping my bed routine the same on my days off or the pills would have quit working.

I'm in the same position. Unfortunately, it becomes a problem when you need to go to an appointment or meet someone at a time when you want or need to go to sleep. I think I might try melatonin. The weighted blanket sounds good too, but I already have a double duvet on a single bed that performs a similar function.

Avarice
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2010, 6:13 am

My advice to those who can't sleep? When you go to bed, read. Read a book you're interested in and put it down when you're too tired to read more than a page. Don't look at a screen in bed except for an alarm clock with red LEDS, not green.

I fall asleep in about 5 minutes this way.

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2010, 7:31 am

Do I have a hard time falling asleep :?:

Sometimes but I have an even harder time just GOING TO BED :roll: :arrow:

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2010, 7:53 am

Noise doesn't distract me when I'm in bed.

Generally it takes me about 4 minutes to get to sleep, (after switching my DVD/video off), and I hardly wake up all night, until the morning.

I actually don't have difficulties with falling asleep because I wear myself out all day with anxiety.

Ashellin
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Aug 2010, 8:20 am

I take ages going to sleep, though my migraine medication helps (I get migraines when I get stressed, which mainly due to AS stuff is pretty often, so I take preventative meds every day now. 45mg of amitryptyline is what I currently use, and you take it before bed and it makes you a little drowsy.) I've never tried melatonin, and I'm not sure you could get it here in the UK without a prescription, though I may ask next time I'm at a chemist's. It sounds like it might be worth a try, as it usually takes me at least an hour to get to sleep even with my usual meds, if my mind is feeling particularly unwilling to relax. It doesn't help that I tend to gravitate towards a nocturnal sleep pattern either. It's also interesting hearing about the weighted blankets idea; I've never been able to sleep without a cover over me but I didn't know that was an insomnia remedy. Guess I'm lucky for once living somewhere that it's cool enough even in summer that you need a cover.