If your an aspie, how did you meet your partner?

Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2010, 12:53 am

I guy I work with met his wife at a bus stop in Germany.

Also some douche I know was approached by a girl who was crossing the road next to him.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

13 Apr 2010, 12:55 am

Well, I met the guy I am currently seeing, at an Aspie support group. I had recently watched "Mozart and the Whale," and wondered if I could find a support group for Adults on the Spectrum, and be lucky enough to meet someone there, just like in the movie. My boyfriend had been thinking the same thing! He joined several months before I did, and one rainy day I came in to the group, late. He said that he was interested in me when I first walked in. He is very shy, though, and did not make a move until nearly 4 months later. But once we started dating, we grew more and more attached. When we watched Mozart and the Whale again, together, we both nearly cried.

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2010, 1:16 am

I met my girlfriend at the university's Anime Club. We were really good friends for about half a year, only really started a romantic relationship this past month. Apparently she started having feelings for me after I helped her out of a depression that was from Christmas Break to about February. All I really did was be there for her, listen to her vent sometimes and give advice when I knew what to do (not often), but according to her that was probably the best thing anyone's ever done for her.

It was kind of funny too, she was having some romantic problems around V-day so I found her a card at the local Hallmark shop and gave it to her. The card was one of those light-and-sound contraptions, and it depicted Cupid flying into a high-tension power line. We both had a great laugh over that one.

Anyways I kinda noticed she was going out of her way to spend time with me, such as walking me back home after an Anime Club meeting. I didn't really think of it as anything other than friendliness until after a lengthy conversation in my front driveway about Higurashi (her favorite anime) and then as she turned to leave she kissed me on the cheek. That was kind of the missing puzzle piece that allowed me to piece together all of the other signs that she liked me.

Anyways, the next day I met her at Union for dinner (there's a Chinese buffet inside that most of the Anime Club members frequent), and we talked a bit, and then she walked me home again... only this time I took the initiative and kissed her back, which lead to about ten seconds of passionate kissing in the middle of my driveway. Anyways, one thing lead to another, and now we're pretty much lovers.

Come to think of it, I remember after that first kiss I almost slapped myself silly for humming the lines to "Sakura" by Nirgilis (a J-pop song that was one of the opening themes to Eureka Se7en, you know the one that went "Sayonara fall in love" or something sappy like that.)

...wow. That's a long post. Sorry guys, didn't mean to write a memoir here. Anyways, if you're in college get involved in clubs and stuff, that way you'll meet people with similar interests. A similar interest is always a good starting point for a friendship and then a relationship (the both of us are serious otaku, so that was our way of bridging the gap.)

Hope some of this helps.

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.

Gremmie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2010, 2:21 am

I met my first boyfriend in university halls. We were friends for a while and he introduced me to roleplay then decided he had feelings for me. I figured I should give it a go but it didn't work out so well.

My current boyfriend I met on an irc channel for a small unofficial society we ran for a term or two. I'd been a member of the society and on the channel since the beginning, then one day after the society had finished but the channel still existed he started working with the guy who ran the society and got invited into the channel.
For the first few months we didn't really talk much. Then we realised that our music taste was quite similar. We spent a lot of the summer going to gigs and pubs, even when we couldn't convince anyone to come with us. I didn't think there was anyway he'd be interested in me and he didn't think I'd be interested in that sort of thing. Eventually we worked out that we were actually both interested.

I definately agree about joining societies if you're at university. I know quite a lot of couples that first met at the roleplay society or the sci-fi society.

Roxas_XIII - best signature ever :D

Bataar
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2010, 1:42 pm

Sound wrote:
Bataar wrote:
Come on. Someone has to have a story of meeting in a grocery store or bookstore, etc. Something I can use for encouragement :)

Grocery/book stores are good for finding somewhat like-minded people. The only problem is that everyone there is in keep-to-yourself mode. If you want to meet anyone that way, you have to be really outgoing. It ain't gonna happen on accident, not in that atmosphere, even though it might have the right 'kind' of people for you.

I know, believe me, I know. :)

That's why I was/am hoping someone posts something along those lines. I mean when it's not a viable option to meet someone through friends, work, school, or online, what are you left with?

Sound
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2010, 2:26 pm

No doubt. ><
Well, in that endeavor, I wish you luck. It takes some balls to do that, so I look forward to hearing of your fortunes.

superboyian
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2010, 5:16 pm

I met my girlfriend from school and those were the best times of my life... Basically I had a crush on her first and I tried to ask her out but I couldn't and she also rejected it.

I then tried again but failed... It was until that very day when I went to the pantomime and she asked if we could hold hands, and that's when we became closer and closer to the point till we then ended up asking each other out, beautiful experience ever. :D

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2010, 6:34 pm

Gremmie wrote:
Roxas_XIII - best signature ever :D

Haha, thanks. You know you can actually find the song on iTunes?

At any rate, one of my friends introduced me to Portal, and I've been saving up money to get it... probably will get the Orange Box for Xbox 360. But that's a little off topic. If you want to talk about it more feel free to shoot me a PM.

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.

kate123A
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2010, 7:14 pm

well I met him when he came to live with my ex boyfriend. He didn't speak English well and needed a tutor and I need help with my pre-cal A class and thus we spent time together. In the end he went home and 13 months later we got married and maintained the relationship over internet/video. It's been 8 miserable/good years.