Body language is a stupid language!! !

Page 3 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2010, 6:18 pm

anbuend wrote:
I also think I picked a lot of it up during the time when words made zero sense to me. I relied hugely on patterns of movement and tonal and other auditory patterns in people's voices. There is some evidence that autistics with receptive language delays are better at this than autistics who understand language better. That has been a big error in some studies, they like using the autistic people who can use words, and most autistic people who can use words don't have these receptive language problems. For many autistics we can do either words or body language but not both at once and many autistics end up using words all the time and body language never, and that becomes the stereotype.

Fascinating! My daughter was fairly significantly language delayed. She has language now, but it took awhile and is still somewhat idiosyncratic (invented words, backwards pronouns). But she doesn't seem to have the problems reading body language that the doctors led me to expect. She has no idea what she's supposed to do in social situations and avoids them, but it's not because she has no idea if somebody is happy, angry, sad, confused etc. She reads those well enough. She just doesn't know the social protocol involved and that makes her very nervous. She can certainly read me well enough. When she was less language-confident, her teachers had those PECS drawings of people emoting and she would point to one to show how she was feeling. Then when she talked more and became a schoolkid, she would come home from school and describe a fellow student's face and their body labguage and I would tell her the expected social response. (Still do. She's still a schoolkid.) The problem was never body language. It has always been what to do in response to the body language.

I figured this was just because nobody ticks off all the autism-trait boxes. But I never stopped to consider why she was better at reading body language than the doctors and books would have me believe. Before she talked (or talked in more than single words), she stared intensly at people all the time. She wasn't one of those kids that stared at ceiling fans or spinning wheels. She stared at people with such an intense stare and such intense eye contact that she didn't get an autism diagnosis for a while because they were looking for zero eye contact and eyes directed at the spinning fans. I don't know why I never connected her good ability at seeing body language with her long time spent staring at people but not talking. But I didn't. Now that you connect it, it does make perfect sense!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2010, 7:05 pm

I'm amazed that they even call it a language.

AmberEyes
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2010, 11:57 pm

visagrunt wrote:
What is stupid is the degree to which people fail to realize that not everyone understands their body language.

I think that there may be several different "non-verbal dialects" or body languages.

Some people could have "muted" versions of certain body languages or more limited facial expression repertoires. For instance, I've noticed that jealous gestures are absent from families and cultures that don't practice jealousy. These people wouldn't understand the need for this gesture and would therefore have difficulty interpreting ideas like jealousy. It would seem irrelavent to their lives. This is what I've noticed anyway.

If a body language element is missing from a culture, does that mean that the culture is "emotionally deficient"?

I'd say no: the culture would be qualitatively socially and emotionally different.
Coping mechisms and social structures would be different.

This is why I think it's a mistake and an oversimplification of reality to lump all body languages together and assume that everyone automatically knows everything about each one.

Spazzergasm
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2010, 11:43 am

Noncon4mist wrote:
I once read in a mens magazine that if a woman flares her nostrils, she's horny. What a load of tosh.

Haha, what? What bullshyt! I flair mine when I've been excersising, am shocked by someone's action or when yawning. XD