Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

autumnsunset
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Apr 2010, 2:23 am

Mary is Max is based on two unlikely characters meeting. Max has aspergers and Mary lives in dysfunctional family. The movie is fantastic.

Has anyone else had the opportunity to watch it?

skonamis
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Apr 2010, 5:09 am

I have seen it. This movie really is fantastic.

SamwiseGamgee
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2010, 1:46 pm

I haven't watched it recently but I have seen it and I really enjoyed it.

faithfilly
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2010, 4:30 pm

I've watched it a few times. I enjoy it very much, even in spite of the sad ending.

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2010, 11:15 pm

No but I've always wanted too.

faithfilly
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2010, 7:53 am

Here's one place to watch Mary and Max.

Asyn
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Apr 2010, 9:27 pm

One note: don't watch this if you are already down, especially if you are dwelling on being an Aspie. I cried the whole movie, and lost it completely at the end.

But it was because I related so well with Max. Ironically, Max is the happier of the two, but it still wasn't a pleasant experience.

I wish I could get others to watch it though, as I would feel it would make others understand us Aspies better.

faithfilly
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2010, 9:48 am

Asyn wrote:
One note: don't watch this if you are already down, especially if you are dwelling on being an Aspie. I cried the whole movie, and lost it completely at the end.

But it was because I related so well with Max. Ironically, Max is the happier of the two, but it still wasn't a pleasant experience.

I wish I could get others to watch it though, as I would feel it would make others understand us Aspies better.

I agree with your advice. I wish I could get others (NTs) to watch it too. I'm thankful that at least my Aspie son (21 yrs. old) watch it with me.

Agnieszka
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2010, 9:59 am

Thanks for reminding me that I was going to see it :D ;)

Wedge
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2010, 6:37 pm

My psychologist keeps me telling to watch this movie and how it is a great movie. I was reluctant in watching it because I like action and non-intellectual movies but maybe I will give it a try and watch it tomorrow with my mom.

LosFrida
Toucan
Toucan

25 Apr 2010, 4:04 am

I love this film. My mom and I saw it in the theaters and I bought it when it was relased on DVD. Awesome movie.

colonel1fan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Jun 2011, 11:06 pm

I finally saw this movie and thought it was great. Very strange movie at times, but I loved the depiction of the characters. I kept thinking that Mary had AS, but I guess she wasn't supposed to have it, although I kept thinking how the way that she didn't have any friends and only liking the color brown made it seem like she had AS. Overall, great movie.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2011, 3:15 am

I had actually watched Mary and Max sometime last year with my wife, and a friend who had brought it over. I personally really enjoyed it. My friend thought I'd like to see it, after I had told him that I had been diagnosed officially with Asperger's.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Deemar

09 Oct 2018, 12:29 pm

This is a musical playing in a theatre here in Calgary right now, has anyone seen it? I'm wondering if I should go check it out, tickets are $60 - $100 each.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2018, 12:58 pm

I watched it and I really liked it a lot.

I could relate to Max in a lot of ways because I have Aspergers too. His penpal friendship with a girl who lived on the other side of the world reminded me of a friendship I had on the internet with a guy in California who had Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy. I met him online when I was 14 and he was in his 20's and it was somehow easier for me to open up to him by sending typed messages than it was for me to talk to anybody in real life. We were very good friends for years and often bought each other presents for Christmas and for our Birthdays. Sadly he passed away in 2013 from heart failure and I was devastated to have lost my best friend but I was also grateful to have met him.

It just goes to show that sometimes the most unlikely people can end up becoming the best of friends.

1stSauce
Toucan
Toucan

09 Oct 2018, 10:15 pm

Great casting too!! !