Do you sometimes HATE being analytical?

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2010, 11:30 am

IMO it's great for doing a research paper you analyze how you want to say/put something into your own words what to quote etc. (I had fun with them in College) but being analytical in LIFE can be a pain! Knowing for example mom will gripe at me (what time did you get up OMG 11AM I've told you that's too late etc.) or (What have you done today? Me: X,Y,Z her: that's all why didn't you do something more like *insert other thing* me: uh I don't know) etc. I already know how a conversation might play out it's annoying!! !! Also playing out 1,000,000 ways to deal with my life issues and how life might go is annoying instead of DOING something I'm analyzing if I do this/that,this/that what if I said this/that etc. IT'S ANNOYING!! !!

Julian94
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Apr 2010, 12:09 pm

Me too, its espesially annoying in movies because after ten minutes of watching i generaly know how the rest is.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2010, 12:25 pm

If you are hyper-analytical the problem isn't coming up with the answer, the problem is, not coming to the definitive answer. If you truly are analytical you would know they is almost always more deductions you could make. If you think that being analytical means you generally arrive at the right answer, then you probably aren't as analytical and logical as you think. Being hyper-analytical can be really tiring as you can't turn it off, it can make you neurotic if you are not careful.

CerebralDreamer
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2010, 12:32 pm

0_equals_true wrote:
If you are hyper-analytical the problem isn't coming up with the answer, the problem is, not coming to the definitive answer. If you truly are analytical you would know they is almost always more deductions you could make. If you think that being analytical means you generally arrive at the right answer, then you probably aren't as analytical and logical as you think. Being hyper-analytical can be really tiring as you can't turn it off, it can make you neurotic if you are not careful.

That's pretty much it.

Of course, that in itself can be a lot of fun for someone who enjoys analytical thought. It becomes an addiction of sorts. (Never run out of interesting stuff to think about.)

The only problem is where you're tossed into social situations, where analytical thought isn't the 'social norm'. People just look at you as weird and strange, which doesn't exactly helps...

Wedge
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2010, 1:03 pm

I´m analytical. I remember talking to my hs friends they were more emotional and I would always come up with a logical answer. My college friends are more geeky so it is easier to get along with them because they are always talking about scientific stuff or about work.

Ardent_Eccentric
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Apr 2010, 2:41 pm

My last job at an engineering firm required my analytical skills and they came in quite handy … But I would agree that in a social context analytical thought is more of a hindrance. At times I would have a girl hit on me and instead of using my intuitive feelings I would over analyze the situation, take to long to think of what’s happening and miss out on the opportunity of having a date with the girl because it took me too long to figure out what was being said to me by the girl… yeah…hyper analysis is no good in a intuitive thinking world… I need to think more illogically.

?Anyone can be a monotonous brick in the wall. The real challenge is to be a squirrel. You cant build a brick wall with squirrels, a squirrel will not stay put. Even building a wall with dead squirrels would still be more interesting than a old brick wall

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2010, 3:13 pm

I hate it, when that happens to me. I wish that I could let my thoughts run free, instead.

ProfessorAspie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Apr 2010, 3:22 pm

not really. can get too tired to analyze things properly at times. but I enjoy it, generally.

arielhawksquill
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2010, 8:19 am

I am analytical, but it doesn't stop me from doing things. For instance, if your analytical mind tells you that your mom will be mad because you didn't do something, then you are forewarned and can do the thing and avoid her getting mad at you in the first place.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2010, 8:50 am

I analyse a lot in day-to-day life, I like it, gives me something to do, and is interesting :)

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2010, 8:52 am

I hate the hesitation it causes since it's a slow process and takes a lot of time. It's best to leave it to your intuition when you're actually doing something (socializing).

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2010, 11:23 am

These days I always get a sinking feeling whenever I start to think about something in depth (which I do a lot). Its a feeling that I'm about to (metaphorically) disappear up my own backside and waste a load of time over-analysing things. Doesn't really stop me, it just stops me enjoying it so much.

Recently I was reading back through my old diaries, and I kept finding huge chunks of analytical stuff that I didn't have the patience to read. I kept wondering why I'd ever thought it was worth writing down, yet at the time of writing it all made perfect sense for me to do so, and I'd really thought it was important. Most of it is very hard to follow now that I've moved on a bit.

So yes, I do kind of hate being so analytical. It can be very useful stuff, but there's more out there than analysing. Sometimes I fear I'm turning into the Nowhere Man from Yellow Submarine. :( One thing I really liked about recreational drugs is that they tended to block the analytical side of me and forced me to have a bit of fun instead (not that I'm advocating that as a remedy).

It's like being trapped in a cold scientific box while the rest of the world is living in warm artistic sunshine that I can only glimpse through tiny holes.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2010, 12:04 pm

zeldapsychology wrote:
IMO it's great for doing a research paper you analyze how you want to say/put something into your own words what to quote etc. (I had fun with them in College) but being analytical in LIFE can be a pain! Knowing for example mom will gripe at me (what time did you get up OMG 11AM I've told you that's too late etc.) or (What have you done today? Me: X,Y,Z her: that's all why didn't you do something more like *insert other thing* me: uh I don't know) etc. I already know how a conversation might play out it's annoying!! !! Also playing out 1,000,000 ways to deal with my life issues and how life might go is annoying instead of DOING something I'm analyzing if I do this/that,this/that what if I said this/that etc. IT'S ANNOYING!! !!

I will never be as analytical as I want to be. I don't want to be Spock. I want to be his daddy, Sarek.

ruveyn

laxx
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Apr 2010, 2:31 pm

I don't know if it is just because I get overly depressive, or because I am used to not being able to make friends, but I really think that I have let go quite a few (potential) friendships, and possibly something more serious. As I find people never make it clear how much they like you, I tend to over analyse everything that people say to me, but usually only seem to be able to see the things that suggest that they don't like me, or don't want to be friends with me (maybe because that is actually the case?), so I can't justify trying to be friendly with them.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2010, 3:27 pm

Can't say I do. On the movies, I enjoy betting on whether the director will get it right = agree with me.

In interaction, yes, it is frustrating when people will not wait for me to get it clear - but that is their problem more than mine.

I go more for "How can they live that way?"

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2010, 3:34 pm

I don't HATE it but it can sometimes be a pain.
There's always what if's to everything and different outcomes to everything and I end up over thinking something and finding new what if's and outcomes and different circumstances to a scenario that should be really simple. I can enjoy analysing if I initiate it myself but sometimes the analysing just comes out of the blue anyway when I can't be bothered, I think my brain goes "wait... you haven't analysed anything in 1 whole hour! I won't let you get away with it this time, noooo!".
Because of my analytical nature I am very hard to please when it comes to films.