Do you sometimes HATE being analytical?

Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 3 Jan 2009
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Posts: 9,896
Location: Stoke, England (sometimes :P)

14 Apr 2010, 3:34 pm

I don't HATE it but it can sometimes be a pain.
There's always what if's to everything and different outcomes to everything and I end up over thinking something and finding new what if's and outcomes and different circumstances to a scenario that should be really simple. I can enjoy analysing if I initiate it myself but sometimes the analysing just comes out of the blue anyway when I can't be bothered, I think my brain goes "wait... you haven't analysed anything in 1 whole hour! I won't let you get away with it this time, noooo!".
Because of my analytical nature I am very hard to please when it comes to films.


_________________
What film do atheists watch on Christmas?
Coincidence on 34th street.


Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 May 2009
Age: 54
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,514

14 Apr 2010, 4:40 pm

CerebralDreamer wrote:
0_equals_true wrote:
If you are hyper-analytical the problem isn't coming up with the answer, the problem is, not coming to the definitive answer. If you truly are analytical you would know they is almost always more deductions you could make. If you think that being analytical means you generally arrive at the right answer, then you probably aren't as analytical and logical as you think. Being hyper-analytical can be really tiring as you can't turn it off, it can make you neurotic if you are not careful.

That's pretty much it.

I am always sure that I am unsure.
How do you avoid the abyss of neuroticism?

Quote:
Of course, that in itself can be a lot of fun for someone who enjoys analytical thought. It becomes an addiction of sorts. (Never run out of interesting stuff to think about.)

True,Ditto, and ya'ssss.

Quote:
The only problem is where you're tossed into social situations, where analytical thought isn't the 'social norm'. People just look at you as weird and strange, which doesn't exactly helps...

It alienates.



Cactus_Man
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

User avatar

Joined: 9 Nov 2009
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 64
Location: Southern California

15 Apr 2010, 2:10 am

I'm always saying stupid s**t because of it. For instance, when trying to assimilate with a new group of friends recently, they caught onto many of my apparent quirks rather quickly, and when they'd ask about them, my answers would only get me into more trouble.

Them: "Why are those granola bars the only food you ever eat [at school]?"
Me: "They're the only practical, portable means of sustainance-"
Them: "Why don't you just say, 'Because they taste good?'"
Me (thinking to myself): "Because they're not good; they're just convenient..."

Them: "Whoa! What's up? Why are you walking like that?"
Me: "Like what?"
Them: "Why do you always walk so fast?"
Me: "Because it's efficient."
Them: "Then why don't you just run?"
Me: "Well... firstly, the hearbeat-per-minute ratio while walking at my normal pace, which is evidently a brisk pace by any other standard, is quite comfortably low relative to that achieved by running; I think at least part of this is due to my disproportionately long legs, which result in a correspondingly long stride; and secondly-"
Them: "Oh my god..."

Later on, at random (I don't really understand what I did wrong):
Them: "Dude... you are seriously the most awkward person I've ever met in my entire life. I mean, really."

And now even my "established friends" are displaying eerily similar feelings on the matter. Today was the second time I've caught the same two people talking about me behind my back via Facebook comments. Evidently I'm offended too easily, or too "defensive" as they put it (how is it my fault that they like to use sarcasm in written conversation, where it is presumably undetectable even to the NT's?), and my replies are too long. Okay, touché on the replies being too long, but I can't help it! I don't know how to say anything concisely! If I'm going to say something to somebody, then I'm going to give them the complete dossier, otherwise what's the point? If I leave out valuable information, then miscommunication (for instance, not making it clear that you're being sarcastic when you insult your friend!) is liable to occur, and it'll require twice as much wording to clear up all of the confusion later on!

I'm f**king losing it...



KJC
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

User avatar

Joined: 2 Sep 2009
Gender: Male
Posts: 51

15 Apr 2010, 2:17 am

While I think analytically, I could never really write analytical essays, this ended up giving me the only F I ever had in college.



Woodpeace
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Mar 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 535
Location: Lancashire, England

15 Apr 2010, 3:17 am

I am not analytical though I can use my analytical abilities.



Wrackspurt
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Aug 2007
Age: 41
Gender: Female
Posts: 733

15 Apr 2010, 7:20 am

I get more use out of being analytical then it annoying me, I think it annoys those around me more so.



ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 Sep 2008
Age: 67
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,403

15 Apr 2010, 9:01 am

laxx wrote:
I don't know if it is just because I get overly depressive, or because I am used to not being able to make friends, but I really think that I have let go quite a few (potential) friendships, and possibly something more serious. As I find people never make it clear how much they like you, I tend to over analyse everything that people say to me, but usually only seem to be able to see the things that suggest that they don't like me, or don't want to be friends with me (maybe because that is actually the case?), so I can't justify trying to be friendly with them.

I do that a lot too. If somebody gives me a mixed message (one part signalling they like me and the other part signalling that they don't), I'll conclude that they hate me. I have to constantly put my thoughts through a second pass of reality-checking, to iron out the knee-jerk negativity. I gather it's a common problem and that cognitive therapy can often help ease it, so I suppose that kind of internal analysing is my cost-free, one-man version of CBT. Weird thing is, I've known about my negative bias for decades, but the correction has never percolated down to my inital gut reactions, which remain as doom-laden as ever. The only change has been that I'm more fluent with the analytical correction process these days. As soon as I express my gut reaction to myself precisely, in words, the stupidity becomes obvious. So maybe this kind of social analysing isn't such a bad thing.



zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 May 2008
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,638
Location: Florida

15 Apr 2010, 11:01 am

Cactus_Man wrote:
I'm always saying stupid s**t because of it. For instance, when trying to assimilate with a new group of friends recently, they caught onto many of my apparent quirks rather quickly, and when they'd ask about them, my answers would only get me into more trouble.

Them: "Why are those granola bars the only food you ever eat [at school]?"
Me: "They're the only practical, portable means of sustainance-"
Them: "Why don't you just say, 'Because they taste good?'"
Me (thinking to myself): "Because they're not good; they're just convenient..."

Them: "Whoa! What's up? Why are you walking like that?"
Me: "Like what?"
Them: "Why do you always walk so fast?"
Me: "Because it's efficient."
Them: "Then why don't you just run?"
Me: "Well... firstly, the hearbeat-per-minute ratio while walking at my normal pace, which is evidently a brisk pace by any other standard, is quite comfortably low relative to that achieved by running; I think at least part of this is due to my disproportionately long legs, which result in a correspondingly long stride; and secondly-"
Them: "Oh my god..."

Later on, at random (I don't really understand what I did wrong):
Them: "Dude... you are seriously the most awkward person I've ever met in my entire life. I mean, really."

And now even my "established friends" are displaying eerily similar feelings on the matter. Today was the second time I've caught the same two people talking about me behind my back via Facebook comments. Evidently I'm offended too easily, or too "defensive" as they put it (how is it my fault that they like to use sarcasm in written conversation, where it is presumably undetectable even to the NT's?), and my replies are too long. Okay, touché on the replies being too long, but I can't help it! I don't know how to say anything concisely! If I'm going to say something to somebody, then I'm going to give them the complete dossier, otherwise what's the point? If I leave out valuable information, then miscommunication (for instance, not making it clear that you're being sarcastic when you insult your friend!) is liable to occur, and it'll require twice as much wording to clear up all of the confusion later on!

I'm f**king losing it...




LOL! Those are great replies IMO. I think NT's are sometimes stupid all they ever want is a simple that was good or *insert simple sentence answer here* Why not give detail? I loved your replies BTW. :-) Awesome!! ! and to KJC and reports I don't write for the teacher it's not a paper for College in my mind I think "What if this was a book" Would this IMO interest me/an audience? Would this quote sound good this way also I toss some slight opinion example for pretend "I myself think AS is overdiagnosed but Dr. Joe Hanson based on his report found "1 out of 10 people have AS." (example BTW) notice I gave my view then said but (insert quote/statisical data) That's how I wrote and I also wrote out swearing to give emphasis the teacher wrote omit on all those sentences I was confused what that word meant LOL! BUT as I said I'm writing for readers I wanted a PUNCH I didn't want the bad guy wrote mean things in a journal he wrote f**k YOU and f**k star wars fans they are such nerds etc. (He wrote stuff like that but I had to change it to writes stuff in his journal BOO!! !!) LOL! I LOVED writing research papers. :-)



Cactus_Man
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

User avatar

Joined: 9 Nov 2009
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 64
Location: Southern California

16 Apr 2010, 12:10 am

zeldapsychology wrote:

LOL! Those are great replies IMO. I think NT's are sometimes stupid all they ever want is a simple that was good or *insert simple sentence answer here* Why not give detail? I loved your replies BTW. :-) Awesome!! !


Lol thanks! At least somebody gets what I'm talking about! That's what I love about this website.



visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 16 Oct 2009
Age: 52
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,128
Location: Vancouver, BC

16 Apr 2010, 12:22 pm

I don't hate it, but I do wonder if I am missing out. It strikes me most often at the theatre. I do a lot of performing, and directing, and so when I go to see theatre as an audience member, I look with a critical eye (not a negative eye, a critical eye). I know that being able to just "be in the moment" would give me a different experience. I wonder if it would be a better one?


_________________
--James


ursaminor
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 20 Nov 2009
Age: 153
Gender: Male
Posts: 936
Location: Leiden, Netherlands

16 Apr 2010, 2:12 pm

I actually never give such scientific answers because my reasons are usually very shallow.
When something interests me I do not care about the efficiency or the worth or the strategy of the decision, I just care about the thing that interests me.
Like Pokemon.
I bought 3 Pokemon games.
I could have gotten 1 game cheaper but I did not want to wait.



Sound
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 3 Oct 2009
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 746
Location: Seattle

20 Apr 2010, 3:14 am

0_equals_true wrote:
If you are hyper-analytical the problem isn't coming up with the answer, the problem is, not coming to the definitive answer. If you truly are analytical you would know they is almost always more deductions you could make. If you think that being analytical means you generally arrive at the right answer, then you probably aren't as analytical and logical as you think. Being hyper-analytical can be really tiring as you can't turn it off, it can make you neurotic if you are not careful.

Arrgh, yes. This.

The constant uncertainty of things, the myriad variables, those are all kinda tiring but I'm also more-or-less used to it, so it's just part of my mental environment.

What I sort of hate, though, is that I'm compelled to want to talk about all of those variables and potential analysis. Anything with inherent complexities, either concrete or vague(although, vague complexities usually reflect insufficient depth of understanding of it's fundamentals), I find myself wanting to explore it, I have to explore it more, I want to argue about it, I want to hear more about, read more about it, think about it, think about it. I can't just let go unless something else comes along to distract me.

I mean, it's a blessing in the potential in what I learn, but also it's a curse in how much energy it takes, and the social blow-back from others who don't understand the purpose of what I'm going on about.