Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

samtoo
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2010, 11:38 am

I just wondered if anyone is interested in Football/Soccer.

I live in England but I don't particularly like the Premier League. I do support a team in the league though - Hull City, possibly soon to be relegated.

I like French teams, mainly Lyon. I'm very happy with how well they're doing in the Champions League this season - Semi finals for the first time ever. :)

Does anyone support any teams in Football/Soccer? Which Country does your favourite team play in?

Who will win the world cup in your opinion? Do you prefer club or international Football/Soccer?
Feel free to talk about any subject on any matter regarding the sport if you like. :)

gassy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Apr 2010, 12:05 pm

samtoo wrote:
I just wondered if anyone is interested in Football/Soccer.

I live in England but I don't particularly like the Premier League. I do support a team in the league though - Hull City, possibly soon to be relegated.

I like French teams, mainly Lyon. I'm very happy with how well they're doing in the Champions League this season - Semi finals for the first time ever. :)

Does anyone support any teams in Football/Soccer? Which Country does your favourite team play in?

Who will win the world cup in your opinion? Do you prefer club or international Football/Soccer?
Feel free to talk about any subject on any matter regarding the sport if you like. :)

Yes im a big fan of football. Im going to watch Rovers v Southampton in a couple of hours so im feeling rather excited.

Saying that my emotional support for specific teams has started to decrease in recent years (especially Man Utd who i supported when i was younger) but i quite enjoy following my local teams (apart from those pesky ****heads :D )

To be honest im starting to not enjoy the Premier League as much, and much enjoy watching other football (i usually watch random games on the betfair website since we cant get anything on our tv) leagues.

Is there anything specific you dont like about the Premier league?

Also what do you think about the situation with Hull? do you think they'll get enough points to stay up? to be honest i dont think the teams would need more than about 35/37 points to stay up this season?

i dont know a great deal about it, but i've seen it happen many times where there is a big row and the team gets closer together as a result which could very much benefit burnley. Its going to be tight and will almost definitely be two of the 6 (upto wolves) but ill need to have a look at the fixtures a little later.

Hmm, im not sure about the World cup, no doubt there will be a media frenzy saying we'll win it (until the first game when we'll probably lose and then shout Capello out - the media are so fickle :( ). But who will actually win it.....im not sure. Spain will probably be one of the favourites but how often has a team which won the Euros then gone onto win the world cup? Theres also a few others like Argentina but they havent done great in qualification, and with no Riquelme(?) will they have the creativity there? I have a feeling that if they have/keep everyone fit then the Dutch could do well, but i have no idea if they would be able to win it though.

And to the question do i prefer club or country football. I prefer club as there is more to it, with more important/competitivr games but i quite like watching internationals of the smaller teams.

Sorry if what i wrote is a little short, but im in a bit of a rush for tonight and will probably go into more detail when i get back (unless we get hammered which is likely lol)

Nice to see another footie fan here, i think theres a few around :D

samtoo
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2010, 12:48 pm

gassy wrote:
Yes im a big fan of football. Im going to watch Rovers v Southampton in a couple of hours so im feeling rather excited.

Saying that my emotional support for specific teams has started to decrease in recent years (especially Man Utd who i supported when i was younger) but i quite enjoy following my local teams (apart from those pesky ****heads :D )

To be honest im starting to not enjoy the Premier League as much, and much enjoy watching other football (i usually watch random games on the betfair website since we cant get anything on our tv) leagues.

Is there anything specific you dont like about the Premier league?

Also what do you think about the situation with Hull? do you think they'll get enough points to stay up? to be honest i dont think the teams would need more than about 35/37 points to stay up this season?

i dont know a great deal about it, but i've seen it happen many times where there is a big row and the team gets closer together as a result which could very much benefit burnley. Its going to be tight and will almost definitely be two of the 6 (upto wolves) but ill need to have a look at the fixtures a little later.

Hmm, im not sure about the World cup, no doubt there will be a media frenzy saying we'll win it (until the first game when we'll probably lose and then shout Capello out - the media are so fickle :( ). But who will actually win it.....im not sure. Spain will probably be one of the favourites but how often has a team which won the Euros then gone onto win the world cup? Theres also a few others like Argentina but they havent done great in qualification, and with no Riquelme(?) will they have the creativity there? I have a feeling that if they have/keep everyone fit then the Dutch could do well, but i have no idea if they would be able to win it though.

And to the question do i prefer club or country football. I prefer club as there is more to it, with more important/competitivr games but i quite like watching internationals of the smaller teams.

Sorry if what i wrote is a little short, but im in a bit of a rush for tonight and will probably go into more detail when i get back (unless we get hammered which is likely lol)

Nice to see another footie fan here, i think theres a few around :D

Ah so does that mean you're a Rovers fan? Is this Bristol Rovers? Or Southampton? Or do you follow another team?
I used to like Man Utd but I don't really like them these days.
I sort of have a liking for Shrewsbury but I don't follow them at the moment as such.

Ah yes I go on a website myself called www.rojadirecta.com which gives many streams for live football - I think they're risk free... the best ones are justintv and web(flash) and such... but they're not always reliable, but you should be able to watch games from a choice of many leagues on this website.

I guess I just find the league pretty dull in terms of league positions with the same teams, although it's been more interesting this year... I don't like the money pumped in and I find it annoying really how dominant English teams have been in the champions league over the years... I guess it's ok for there to be dominant leagues, although I don't really want there to be one, but in my opinion it's been far too over run by English teams in recent years.

Well I hope we do. :D I'm thinking Hull have a chance... I'm going to watch them away at Birmingham soon which should be fun... I hope lol.
Aye this season points have been hard to come by for relegation fighters, so a few rounds of 3 points gained for Hull would be very nice.

Ah yes the media can disrupt things for England, and I hope the team can deliver. I would like us to win but there's an array of teams I wouldn't mind winning also.
Argentina are brilliant but are they without Riquelme you say? Also Maradona indeed doesn't look to be a very effective manager at the moment... of course Messi and a bunch of talented players may help them progress far.
Spain are fantastic indeed... I'm going for a typical prediction of Brazil winning it lol. :lol: Might not happen of course. Holland are indeed a contender... I'm not sure what to expect from them but if they keep under achieving it means they're good so one time they should achieve to their standards... could be this time, who knows.

I think I prefer International football but Club football is still exciting to me, especially with Lyon.

No that's ok that's pretty detailed but if you'd like to write more then cool. :)
Well i wish you luck, which ever team it is you support. :D

Topcat16
Raven
Raven

13 Apr 2010, 3:48 pm

if messi had played for spain(he did have a choice), they'd have it in the bag already, argentina will go out early i think, i hope spain(way too good a team not to reach the semis at least) or england win

samtoo
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2010, 4:03 pm

Topcat16 wrote:
if messi had played for spain(he did have a choice), they'd have it in the bag already, argentina will go out early i think, i hope spain(way too good a team not to reach the semis at least) or england win

Wow I could imagine that... the combination of Xavi and Messi is already brilliant as it is for Barcelona, so if they played on the same team that'd be lethal.

Of course - I acknowledge that there's a team out there but some players certainly are brilliant, and I think you are right - Spain with Messi should be favourites and maybe just win everything if they had him. :)

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2010, 4:06 pm

I'm a bitter blue. :wink:

The year is still young.

Amadeus
Raven
Raven

13 Apr 2010, 4:15 pm

Toon Army! Back in the premiership where we belong. :wink:

Though, this thread should really be in the Health, Fitness and Sport board.

samtoo
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2010, 4:16 pm

Ambivalence wrote:

Chelsea? Ah interesting. A bit better than Hull. lol
Good luck for the remainder of the league, if Chelsea is the team you're referring to.

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2010, 4:24 pm

samtoo wrote:
Ambivalence wrote:

Chelsea?

City. An epithet for us that's often in the mouths of supporters of another Manchester team, whose name escapes me (think they play in gold and green?) :wink:

(edit) Though truth be told, I bounce in and out of football mode just like everything else, and at the moment I've barely any interest. :? Be different if I still lived there, I'm not really committed enough to do a three hundred mile round trip to watch.

The year is still young.

heckeler06
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2010, 4:52 pm

I support Stoke City FC.

I used to prefer International football, but now I am startling to enjoy club more.

For World Cup: I have no idea who will win. For an outside bet, I think Denmark has a good chance of going pretty far--they seem to have a good squad and seemed to be consistent in qualifying [but I'm biased, I just want to see them do well because of Sorensen, Stoke's keeper]. That being said, there are a half dozen favorites that are much better.

I'll be cheering for the US, but will be happy if we win a game.

Samtoo: What did you think of Phil Brown? Did you think he deserved to be sacked? What do you think of the new manager?

samtoo
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2010, 5:12 pm

Amadeus: Ah Newcastle. :D With any luck you will do better this time round - you certainly beat competition in the Championship. :)
Oh I didn't see that section... you're right though. Shall we move it I wonder?

Ambivalence: Ah Manchester City. :D Yes they may be playing in the champions league or europa league next season. They may do well. :) Let's see. Man City certainly have a good crop of players to perform to a high standard... will be interesting to see how they perform.
Ah right I see - I tend to drift with some interests, although I tend to stay a lot with football lol.

Heckeler06: Ah Stoke. :D Much much better season than Hull's. :lol:
Denmark, that's interesting. I remember predicting Greece to win Euro 2004 based on their qualification's to the competition lol. :D That was a real one off prediction for me so perhaps Denmark can go far... maybe even do what Greece did... let's see.
The US may be in with a chance if they can produce the form they did in the Confederations Cup... I wouldn't count on England having an easy time with them.

Even if Hull would get less points now if they had Phil Brown than Iain Dowie, I still favour Phil Brown personally. What Phil did with Hull was monumental, and I don't think it's a good idea to have gotten rid of him... he will get good offers for sure, perhaps with teams better than Hull.
I do however trust in Iain Dowie's ability - he's a good manager.

Who do Stoke have at the helm?

heckeler06
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2010, 11:12 am

samtoo: Yup, Stoke have done quite well this season--I've been happy.

Stoke City FC's manager is Tony Pulis. I have been pleased with him--he buys good players at good prices, gets results, is honest and frank in his interviews, and he got Stoke to the prem and kept them there. His team selection can be a bit frustrating though.

I hope the US football team gives England a rough time in the World Cup!

--David

_Square_Peg_
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2010, 1:20 pm

I love soccer! (I call it that since I'm from the US).
I don't really have a favorite team, but I have a lot of fun watching it and playing it.

eroberts
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Apr 2010, 5:39 pm

Supported Sheffield United all my life and go to every home game (Since i have a season ticket) and go to a few away games a season when I can afford it.

We're terrible at the moment but hopefully we'll improve and get back to the Premier League, can't see it happening for a long time though.

heckeler06
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2010, 6:04 pm

Hey eroberts: What do you think of Cresswell, Camara, and Simonsen playing for Sheffield United? How have they been doing?

Amadeus
Raven
Raven

14 Apr 2010, 8:00 pm

samtoo wrote:
Amadeus: Ah Newcastle. :D With any luck you will do better this time round - you certainly beat competition in the Championship. :)

Oh I didn't see that section... you're right though. Shall we move it I wonder?

Nah - funnily, this has gotten more attention being in the Game board than most Football ones do in the Sport board.

I’m hoping we can keep on going with staying strong at home and not fall back to losing the lead once we’re playing in the Premiership again.