Elliot Smith Remeberance and Recognition

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

LostNFound
Raven
Raven

16 Apr 2010, 3:09 am

Like most of the tortured souls I've fallen head over heel for, Elliot Smith is no exception. Kurt Cobain, Nick Drake, Layne Staley, Jeff Buckley...Elliot Smith. All dead by their own hand with notable exception to Buckley which is assumed inadvertent. Anyone ever see his Grace Around the World DVD? Struck me as a very possible Aspie himself. Though other than his stirring redition of "Hallelujah" most of his body of work didn't particuarly incite me. But this isn't about him. It's about E.Smith.

I can't even recall how I fell upon Smith's work. But I do know that when I did it was an affair to remember. Though many of his songs were clearly derived from a depressive person, to the depressed they felt like the finest of fabrics to wrap up in. It doesn't hurt a bit that I think his guitar composition/competency is very underrated. Some of the tunes he wrote easily rival Beatles compositions in their having equal parts direct simplicity and staggering profundity. And yet others were hauntingly beautiful.

What are your favorite Elliot Smith songs? I suppose if I had to name a few with a gun to my head I would say these.

"Miss Misery"
"Fond Farewell"
"Between the Bars"
"Wouldn't Mama Be Proud?"
"Angel in the Snow"
"Baby Britain"
"Big Nothing"
"Rose Parade"
"Sweet Adeline"
"Division Day"

Ah hell, I could go on. I also really dig his song "Pop In G" during his stint with Heatmiser. Confectionary pop angst goodness to these ears.

Wondering what some of your thoughts and favorite tunes are?

schleppenheimer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2010, 6:08 am

My daughter introduced me to Elliott Smith's music, and now whenever I hear his music (much of it is on my iPod) I always think of her, so I really love his stuff. Although I can't choose a particular song, I really enjoy hearing him and appreciate his gift. It was sad to know that his life was so hard and that it ended way too soon.

Sw3etadeline
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Mar 2023, 1:20 pm

Satellite is my all time fave song by Elliott.. I have Mic City Sons by Heatmiser which I love.. Loads of great stuff on the Grand Mal collection. I visit fiends4elliottsmith On Insta where people play covers and keep the spirit alive