Resources for Parents on the Spectrum (AS)

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Gigi830
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Apr 2010, 1:08 pm

My husband and I are new parents. We also both have AS. I am having a hard time adjusting (organizational and routine-wise, otherwise LOVE parenting :D So "in love" with our son <3 ). I am having a hard time finding resources for Asperger parents. Anyone know of any good sites or books on AS in general AND Asperger parents? I'm still new to AS (just was Dx a few weeks ago) so I'm new to researching it. Not sure where to look. Any suggestions? TIA :)

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2010, 2:22 pm

I'm not sure there is one, but the need is there. There's a thread here somewhere that never quite got off the ground and if it did I think it would be AS parents commiserating with other AS parents and not a lot of practical expert advice. I've been recently worrying about how I'm supposed to teach my son some practical life skills (grownup stuff) that I never learned myself.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2010, 2:57 pm

I think if you post a specific issue you are struggling with, all the parents here will help you brainstorm. Some of our parents are AS; some are not, and all can probably at least share how they do it, so you have ideas to pick from and try out.

Zsazsa
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2010, 6:33 pm

I don't know your specific needs but there are some very good books that have recently been published. These books are"

"An Asperger Marriage" by Gisela and Christopher Slater-Walker with a forward by Dr. Tony Attwood, Ph.D

"Alone Together...Making An Asperger Marriage Work" by Katrin Bentley with a forward by Dr. Tony Attwood, Ph.D

"Our Journey Through Asperger Syndrome...a roadmap" by Lise Pyles

"So Odd A Mixture...Along The Autistic Spectrum in Pride and Prejudice" by Phyllis Ferguson Bottomer and forwards by
Eileen Sutherland and Dr. Tony Attwood, Ph.D

Your local library may be able to obtain any of these books for you if you are interested...

Best of luck to you!