Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

KellyMiller
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Apr 2010, 8:28 pm

I am a forty-something married mom of three boys. My oldest son, Eddie, was just diagnosed last Wednesday with Asperger's Syndrome. He also has ADD.

Ever since Eddie was in third grade, we've suspected he had some issues that needed addressed. One of our friends, a teacher, had worked with Asperger's children in the past and recognized the symptoms. He recommended we have Eddie evaluated for the disorder. At that time Eddie didn't have enough of the hallmarks for a firm diagnosis, but his doctor did feel he had ADD, so we began treating him for that and decided to watch him to see how he did.

Over the years, his symptoms began to get worse and worse. The progression was slow, but we began to see that he had problems the treatment for ADD was not helping. He began to talk to himself more and had trouble interacting appropriately with peers. He gets fixated on one thing for a while and clings to it tenaciously; it's all he can think about. He cannot take criticism or correction well, even if it's offered in the gentlest way. He hits himself on the head and verbally abuses himself. When things go wrong, which is most of the time because his ADD causes him to be excessively disorganized, he withdraws heavily.

It's been very painful to watch him struggle, especially when he puts himself down. My husband and I have tried everything we know to help him without success. Now we finally understand why Eddie is struggling and what we have to do to help him.

First step is to take him to a behavioral pediatrician to get a "firm" diagnosis. Then we can discuss medication and therapy to help Eddie learn coping skills.

Some of my family was upset at the diagnosis, but I am not. Instead, I am immensely relieved. Now I can help my baby in a meaningful way! I'm looking forward to visiting here for support and tips on how we can further help Eddie.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2010, 9:03 pm

KellyMiller wrote:
First step is to take him to a behavioral pediatrician to get a "firm" diagnosis. Then we can discuss medication and therapy to help Eddie learn coping skills.

There is no medication effective for Asperger Syndrome. Some aspects of AS mimic both ADD and OCD.

Article: Psyche Meds Drove My Son Crazy <LINK

AspieForty
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

16 Apr 2010, 9:44 pm

KellyMiller wrote:
I am a forty-something married mom of three boys. My oldest son, Eddie, was just diagnosed last Wednesday with Asperger's Syndrome. He also has ADD.

I am a forty-something divorced-widower mom of three kids. My youngest son was diagnosed Aspergers + ADD this past year, Autumn 2009.

KellyMiller wrote:
The progression was slow, but we began to see that he had problems the treatment for ADD was not helping. He began to talk to himself more and had trouble interacting appropriately with peers. He gets fixated on one thing for a while and clings to it tenaciously; it's all he can think about.

These days they also hand out ADD or ADHD diagnosis like candy. I'm not saying he isn't, I just hope they got that part of the diagnosis correct...

KellyMiller wrote:

I am happy for you that you've got a firm diagnosis. Once you have the I.E.P. in place at school, and they've adjusted the environment to suit his needs, things are going to be a lot smoother for your son and you as well.

KellyMiller wrote:
Some of my family was upset at the diagnosis, but I am not. Instead, I am immensely relieved. Now I can help my baby in a meaningful way!

That is wonderful. My son was agitated before his I.E.P. and did not like school. Now, he is telling me (the past couple days) how much he enjoys school and likes his teachers.

Welcome and best of luck in everything Image

"Chaos, Panic, Pandemonium, My Work Here Is Done."

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2010, 11:41 pm

Welcome to WP!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Scientist
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2010, 4:25 am

Hello KellyMiller, welcome,

I hope you will find the information and support you need, here on WP.

Enjoy your stay on the Wrong Planet!

Interests: science, experimental psychology, psychophysics, music (listening and playing (guitar)) and visual arts

Don't focus on your weaknesses, focus on your strengths

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2010, 6:37 am

Welcome to WrongPlanet, and welcome to my time warp. :)

Botti
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2010, 9:22 am

Hello there from an adjacent state. :lol:

JetLag
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2010, 11:09 am

Welcome aboard the Wrong Planet, Kelly.

SnowWhite88
Deinonychus