Contracts, the workings of law, and selling your soul.

Page 4 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2010, 9:11 am

Celoneth wrote:
No, because if a party decides that the piece of paper that has X's soul on it, does not actually contain the soul in their opinion - how do they prove/disprove that?

Umm.... I was simply saying write this into the contract, so that way the deal is still for a soul, and there is no question at all about the legal arrangements to do this. I would imagine though, that if selling souls using various mechanisms were common, then nothing would ever have to be written into the contract about this matter.

A contract between parties does not establish economic value - that would render the entire issue of consideration to be useless as parties could just offer nominal consideration for their promissory exchanges. [/quote]
Well, the rule is against nominal consideration though. I am not sure that whatever process used to make it so that a soul is considered sold would count as just nominal consideration though. After all, if the selling party actually agreed in the existence of souls, it is hard to see how this would not have very high value to them.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2010, 10:29 am

Dealing in souls is, of course, a bit difficult to tie down. But how about another area that's related and somehow in common practice.
Suppose I opened a travel agency and sold a trip to Heaven after you were dead. It would be a verbal contract and the price for the trip was that you performed the rest of your life to conform to the rules the travel agency set down in its book of rules. Is that a valid contract?

Celoneth
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2010, 10:57 am

Quote:
Umm.... I was simply saying write this into the contract, so that way the deal is still for a soul, and there is no question at all about the legal arrangements to do this. I would imagine though, that if selling souls using various mechanisms were common, then nothing would ever have to be written into the contract about this matter.

So basically you're selling a piece of paper that has the word "soul" in it or something similar - technically that could be valued - price of the paper, etc.

Quote:
Dealing in souls is, of course, a bit difficult to tie down. But how about another area that's related and somehow in common practice.
Suppose I opened a travel agency and sold a trip to Heaven after you were dead. It would be a verbal contract and the price for the trip was that you performed the rest of your life to conform to the rules the travel agency set down in its book of rules. Is that a valid contract?

That's a good question.. I guess if there was some kind of service provided it could be? I'm not Christian so I could be wrong, but performing "last-rites" or forgiving people for sins is part of a priest's duties - and that is something you can contract for. Still would be a performance and evidence issue. How do you prove that the agency has actually caused the person to go to Heaven? How do you determine a breach? And if you do that, can't you sue every religious entity that promotes life after death for fraud or breach of contract if your loved ones don't end in paradise after following the rules. In the U.S. courts cannot constitutionally determine if religious beliefs are valid so it wouldn't be possible here at least.