Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2010, 8:57 pm

I was considering this for when I got back into College but wasn't sure how I'd go about doing it or even what I'd talk about to a group of people on the spectrum. Interests vary for everyone Aspie or not so if any would be interested in Psychology or some other field I like I'm not sure but perhaps meeting a fellow Aspie (perhaps develop a friendship/relationship) sounds good since You (on WP atleast) seem to understand me and IMO perhaps would understand my quirks. :-)

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2010, 3:28 am

Does it count if I am the only member :?:

jeffhermy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Apr 2010, 5:25 pm

There are no support groups in my area so yea I was going to start one, was the reason I started seeing the local case manager here so I could work with her into making a support group through the county ran mental health center. Then I got the message that I was going to be moving, so I gave her my info and hopefully she uses what info I gave her to make a support group for this county, cause I won't be here in 3 weeks.

So nope, but pretty darn close to doing it.

aspiegirl2
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2010, 9:35 pm

I've been trying to start a support group on my campus and so far it's been taking a very long time for them to respond. I told the would-be advisor (who happens to be my psychology advisor) about it and he's trying to do something. The reason why I'm starting a support group is because the closest one I could find nearby was about $150/month, which is expensive for students. I wish that they would make it at least a little bit cheaper. I'm crossing my fingers for the group because it's been about 5 months since I submitted my completed application. I don't know if they're just choosing not to do anything or if they are having that hard of a time deciding if they want to pay for a group like this. I'm thinking of switching it to a social anxiety group, possibly calling it "The Wrong Planet Society", with Alex's permission of course (if the words wrong and planet together are copyrighted). Anyways, good luck with finding a group. Starting up one on your campus will be hard, but with the right support and elbow grease it would probably be worth it. Also, I just saw your message today in my inbox. Sorry I didn't see it. I should be able to respond back by tomorrow. Good luck with finding a group!

I'm 24 years old and live in WA State. I was diagnosed with Asperger's at 9. I received a BS in Psychology in 2011 and I intend to help people with Autistic Spectrum Disorders, either through research, application, or both. On the ?Pursuit of Aspieness?.