Getting other travelers to stop following me?

Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2010, 12:58 am

I think it's just something that happens when you travel. People latch onto other travelers in part because they feel anxious. They want companionship but also they can't figure out train schedules, subways, etc. Sometimes they expect you to hold their hand and guide them...

But yeah, I think just say you need to explore on your own.

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2010, 9:35 pm

lie, go early

CleverKitten
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2010, 8:09 am

If you don't want these people around, why not just say, "I just want to be left alone," with heavy emphasis on "alone."

Who cares if they percieve you as a jerk? You don't want them around anyways, and it's not like you'll see them over and over again in life. :shrug:

Check out my blog: http://glanceoutthewindow.blogspot.com/

Surreal
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Apr 2010, 10:44 am

Wow...yeah...I rather like being alone while I travel.

Even if I travel with friends, I usually get to the destination ALONE...on a separate flight or in my own car.

And then, once I reach the destination I spend a certain amount of time there ALONE. And I am quite satisfied in being by myself. It is really refreshing to spend that time with me versus having to focus on being in a social situation with someone else.

Some people often think you're being selfish when you explain this; fortunately friends of mine understand me.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2010, 7:15 pm

Reducto wrote:
I've been doing a lot of traveling and one thing that keeps happening, particularly when I stay in a hostel, is that someone will start following me around. They'll find out I'm going to dinner and tag along, or see me by myself and start talking to me. I often just want to be alone and they WILL NOT leave. They want to keep talking and doing things together.

Is there any way to get them to leave me alone without hurting their feelings or making them think I'm a complete freak?

Somewhere between there and dinner a redlight would eventually go on in my head "OH! This person wants to be my friend!"

But you could always tell them you're on a religious/spiritual pilgrimage and kind of need some time alone to reflect but "maybe we can meet up and chat a bit later"

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2010, 4:28 am

People are social animals. Dont talk to them, or give them a reply they do not expect when they adress you: Once when i was abroad, a woman wanted to speak English with me, i told her (in her own language) that "i am not English or American" - that conversation died fast and i could escape that social situation fast :)