Recommend good horror movies/books I should see/read?

Page 2 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

ED-209
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

30 May 2010, 11:47 am

Tequila wrote:
Or what about this?

I'm feeling the Fulci love! I just watched the new Blu-Ray of "City of the Living Dead" and loved it more than ever. However, Fulci is kinda an acquired taste/advanced viewing.......

Films I would recommend are

-Let the Right One in
-Audition
-From Beyond
-The Thing
-Henry:Portrait of a Serial Killer
-Re-Animator
-Ringu-Japanese not the remake
-Pulse(Kairo) -Japanese not the remake
-Near Dark
-The Original Romero Zombie Trilogy (Night, Day and Dawn)

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

30 May 2010, 12:59 pm

Ditto to "28 Days Later", "Silence of the Lambs", "The Exorcist", "Jacob's Ladder", "Ring" ( the japanese version ), "The Shining", "The Thing", and Cronenberg, especially "The Fly", ... but also "Scanners", and "Rabid", aswell as "Don"t Look Now" ( Nicholas Roeg ), which is brilliant and terrifying, "Prince of Darkness" and "The Fog" by Carpenter again, ( of "The Thing" ), plus "Dark Water" ( japanese version again ) and "The Omen".

Favourite horror books; King definitely, ( eg. "Dreamcatcher" ), and Peter Straub's "Ghost Story" made an impression, and the ghost stories of M.R. James too, also "The Green Man" by Kingsley Amis, and Philip K Dick's short stories often seem like horror stories to me, ( amazing ).

Docion
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Jan 2013, 12:12 pm

Always the odd person out, didn't know Get diagnosed till two years ago. Never heard of Aspergers really before that. I dedicated my verylife to horror cinema. At one time own a small mailorder company dedicated to searching for copies of rare titles, and music label that licensed and restored some interesting soundtracks. I scored a few z shot on video horror flicks as a composer also, and wrote for a few fanzines. Been out of the loop almost fifteen years save for collecting. Somewhere around 7000 movies at present. My life passion is the Italian stuff. Fulci especially. It's difficult to find folks who understand the drive not only to watch but participate and create. I'm tired of stagnating and looking to get back on track with it asap. Hoping the diagnosis will be empowering, not feel so crushed by eccentricity and use it as a strengthto build a life path. Looking for like minded souls who understand what this life is like to correspond with and have mutual support. Thanks much for reading this.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2013, 2:31 am

I absolutely love horror!
Great movie that may not have already been mentioned include
House On Haunted Hill. That's the remake. And for God's sake, stay away from the sequel! Fantastically horrific imagery.
Cthulhu. Probably hard to find on DVD, as it's on Here, which deals in gay movies, and thus probably limited. But it's definitely worth effort to find it, as it's one of the best Lovecraft movies out there.
Angel Heart. Great detective story that turns out to be a supernatural horror flick. One of Mickey Roarke's best movies. Robert De Niro is at his top form.
Surveillance. Where the monsters are human.
Dagon. By the makers of Re-Animator, it's a very good Lovcraftian production.
From Beyond. Ditto.
Behind The Mask. Great horror mockumentary.
Dark City. Sci-fi/horror film. Homage to German expressionism.
The Hitcher. Surreal serial killer movie, with Rutger Hauer at his best. For God's sake, stay away from the remake!
Bubba Hotep. Hilarious horror/comedy, with the great Bruce Campbell and Ozzie Davis.
Grimm Love. Inspired by the real life horror story of a cannibal murderer and his willing victim.
The Cabinet Of Dr. Caligari. Both the original black and white German original, and the American remake. Like seeing a bad dream.
I'm sure there are others.

As for fiction-
Have you ever read anything by H.P. Lovecraft? His fiction is perhaps unlike anything written prior, and he has many modern imitators, especially when it comes to his Cthulhu Mythos. Stephen King, Clive Barker, Ramsey Campbell, and a slew of other horror writers have acknowledged his invaluable influence.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

TheBlueEyedAlien
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Feb 2013, 7:09 pm

I'm not one for horror, but I did recently found out about an interresting comic, I beleive. I don't know if anyone else has mentioned these stories before me but, incase no one has, have you read Johnny The Homicidal Maniac? I took interrest in it. Especially since the creator of Invader Zim made Johnny's character. :wink:

AliceInAspieland
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Feb 2013, 11:31 pm

Old gothic literature. It's brilliant. I'm typing about Poe, Shelley, Gaskell, Radcliffe and Stoker, as examples.

More contemporary examples would include Poppy Z. Brite, Angela Carter, Mark Z. Danielewski, Anne Rice, Stephen King, Joe Hill, Susan Hill. Are some I've read.

Hopefully I haven't repeated what others have written.

Docion
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Feb 2013, 5:14 pm

Check out Baghead. Not a horror but a good story about wannabe film makers with horror elements. Strong character design, felt semi improvisational, amazing actors for such a small picture. More a friendship movie in the end. Don't expect gore or intense horror because the setup is misleading. Its a film about people and personality types, not a slasher with a bag over his head. Very unique.

truth101
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Feb 2013, 4:56 pm

Horror is my chosen subject, I've got 334 on DVD.

There are some really good found footage films that are great for scares but you only really watch them once. I find for gore,blood and guts go for the French films. Here's a list of some really good films

Found footage films
#rec 1 and 2
#v/h/s
#grave encounters 1 and 2(maybe not 2 as much)
#haunted changi (filmed around a haunted hospital)
#norior the cruse

Foreign films
#inside
#martyrs
#infection

Its hard to give a list of good horrors cause everyone likes different styles, I know people who hate the wrong turn films even the 1st one but on the other hand I know people who love those films

DarkSkies
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Mar 2013, 5:01 am

Love horror films , some of these have sickened me

A Serbian Film
Salo
Irreversible
August Underground Mordum
Martyrs
Guinea Pig Series
Grotesque
Melancholie Der Engel

They're quite extreme but if you love horror..

glow
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2013, 6:53 am

I would have to be blunt that horror films only have one purpose. to scare you off the lounge sofa more than once. the worst ive seen-

the exorcist
i know what you did last summer
the texas chainsaw massacre
duel - which absolutely freaked me out
the shining - good plot strange events
cabin fever
Dead calm
the butterfly effect.
jonny darko
and anything with zombies in them

glow
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2013, 12:51 am

i am missing the original thread option on this subject so im going to try and correct myself in the following areas of movie bluff and try to act accordingly.. :lol:

Do not watch the following if you are prone to fits and suicide attempts.

1) The HAUNTING

2) The OTHERS

3? THe Deep blue sea (least i think thats what its called)