Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

nodice1996
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

20 Apr 2010, 6:26 am

I'm selling an older laptop, a Compaq nx9500. It has a 3.4ghz Intel Pentium 4, 2gb of RAM, a Nvidea GeForce Go5700, a 17 inch wide screen (16:9, 1440x900 native res.). It has a full sized keyboard with a number pad, and I'm going to be including an external PCMCIA wireless G card, wireless mouse, and travel bag in the sale. What I was wondering is what I should set the starting bid? A lot of them start at $1, but I need to get at least $150 out of this, so that I can buy a new computer.

alex
Developer
Developer

20 Apr 2010, 7:24 am

nodice1996 wrote:
I'm selling an older laptop, a Compaq nx9500. It has a 3.4ghz Intel Pentium 4, 2gb of RAM, a Nvidea GeForce Go5700, a 17 inch wide screen (16:9, 1440x900 native res.). It has a full sized keyboard with a number pad, and I'm going to be including an external PCMCIA wireless G card, wireless mouse, and travel bag in the sale. What I was wondering is what I should set the starting bid? A lot of them start at $1, but I need to get at least $150 out of this, so that I can buy a new computer.

start it at $1. people will drive up the price

danieltaiwan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Apr 2010, 8:27 am

2$ :)

By the way you should keep that laptop and just install Linux on it. I did that to my old one now runs twice as fast.

I would recommend Xubuntu for Distro to use.

danieltaiwan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Apr 2010, 8:31 am

nodice1996 wrote:

3.4 ghz 8O for a Laptop? That's crazy. You should just upgrade the hard drive. Do you have the discontinued Pentium Extreme Edition?! !! !
Do you know how much gamers would pay for that laptop? Cause Pentium Extreme Edtion is a gamer classic. Can be overclocked to over 5.0 Ghz with water cooling and even 9.0 Ghz with Liquid Nitro. I've seen pentium extreme edition go for 1000$ just for processor. I think that was for the 3.8 Ghz though.

pumibel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2010, 2:50 pm

I am tempted to buy this from you straight out so you can avoid ebay. Is this a good setup for a graphic designer or would gamers be more interested?

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2010, 3:01 pm

@ that price, I would consider it personally as well.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

nodice1996
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

20 Apr 2010, 4:06 pm

1st of all, I don;t want to install linux. Even if it made it faster it would do no good for gaming, and it will sell better with windows on it. It's a good computer for graphic design, but it has some overheating issues with gaming. Any overclocking would probably kill it, even though the overheating seems to be in the video card. Also the battery life is terrible, at an hour and a half at most, averaging 1 hour. Should I set the minimum sell price to $150 and start the bidding at $1-$5. or just start it without that. Also the $150 is what I need minimum to get a new computer, I would like more if at all possible, which is why I would prefer ebay. Also, how long should I have the auction last?

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2010, 4:36 pm

If you sell through eBay and use PayPal, then you'll need to set a higher minimum selling price. A reserve auction will have listing fees of over 2% of the minimum selling price; closing costs will take another 9-12% of the final selling price. A "buy it now" option might help but will cost extra. You may recoup a little with "S&H" charges, but in order to net what you need going that route.... your realistic minimum selling price on there should be around $180. Ebay and Paypal each take a cut, so even if you sold it to a member here w/o using eBay you will be having a cut taken out.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

K_W
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 Apr 2010, 11:51 pm

Start the bidding at $150, provide GOOD pictures and a complete description and it will sell nicely. If I had not just bought a laptop I would buy it from you right now.