Page 1 of 4 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

lotuspuppy
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2010, 7:50 pm

Counter to most universities' claims of diversity, most student bodies are homogenous. Rather than being diverse in thought, most students belong to one category: dumb. It's not that they aren't intelligent (a few are), but most students do not realize what a privilege college is.

For instance, I am taking a public speaking course where we are presenting speeches in a particular format. My professor loves to sugarcoat things, but she saw a few speeches she didn't like, and ripped her teeth into students. One student, on the verge of tears, asked her why she thought so poorly of his speech. Her justification? She has been a professional for over 20 years, and he was not.

Later, she confided in me that this particular student wouldn't get the full benefit for the class. Sure, he may get a grade he can live with, but he wouldn't get the experience to go with it. I must say I agree. Kids go to college all the time, and treat it as a joke. What angers me the most is that it cheapens the worth of a degree for people like me, who are taking advantage of college.

But this is not shocking to anyone here, I presume. We all know dumb people go to places they don't belong, and stand in the way of intelligent souls.

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2010, 8:14 pm

I always thought college students were far more mature than high schoolers, and that the peak of stupidity in college was displayed in fraternities, but I guess I'm wrong. I'm probably in for a surprise when I start college this fall. 8O

Ancalagon
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2010, 8:57 pm

lotuspuppy wrote:
For instance, I am taking a public speaking course where we are presenting speeches in a particular format. My professor loves to sugarcoat things, but she saw a few speeches she didn't like, and ripped her teeth into students. One student, on the verge of tears, asked her why she thought so poorly of his speech. Her justification? She has been a professional for over 20 years, and he was not.

Later, she confided in me that this particular student wouldn't get the full benefit for the class.

There isn't any excuse for the teacher acting like that. Public speaking is something many people are terribly afraid of. Driving students near tears, then trying to make yourself feel better by complimenting yourself on being so much more experienced than your students is not something that I can respect.

I'm also mystified by what she meant by 'full benefit of the class'. Did she mean that she doesn't like teaching people that aren't any good at public speaking? That would just reflect poorly on her teaching skills.

I agree with the central premise of your post -- there are too many stupid people in college. However, unless I massively misunderstood something, your teacher is one of them.

Metal_Man
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2010, 9:34 pm

There are a tremendous number of stupid people in college but as you get into the higher level classes most of them wash out.

AnotherOne
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Apr 2010, 10:48 pm

dumb people can not help it, but i absolutely do not understand intelligent people who do not have better things to do but critique the dumb ones. how about grand theory or solving cancer or fusion?

DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2010, 10:59 pm

AnotherOne wrote:
dumb people can not help it, but i absolutely do not understand intelligent people who do not have better things to do but critique the dumb ones. how about grand theory or solving cancer or fusion?

those discoverys arent worth being wasted on the stupid. If you cant tell that I am being sarcastic, too bad.

Yes, I do have a DeviantArt, it is at.... http://demonabyss10.deviantart.com/

lotuspuppy
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2010, 11:55 pm

Ancalagon wrote:
lotuspuppy wrote:

Later, she confided in me that this particular student wouldn't get the full benefit for the class.

There isn't any excuse for the teacher acting like that. Public speaking is something many people are terribly afraid of. Driving students near tears, then trying to make yourself feel better by complimenting yourself on being so much more experienced than your students is not something that I can respect.

I'm also mystified by what she meant by 'full benefit of the class'. Did she mean that she doesn't like teaching people that aren't any good at public speaking? That would just reflect poorly on her teaching skills.

I agree with the central premise of your post -- there are too many stupid people in college. However, unless I massively misunderstood something, your teacher is one of them.

Regarding my instructor, I must disagree with you there. The particular class in question was an advanced course, and was a free elective. Most of the people in the room were communications majors, and needed a background in public speaking. The strength of her intellect is not relevant, because this is a preprofessional course. She was the one who worked for twenty years in crisis communications, including on Capitol Hill. We have not. Besides, she is nice compared to those in the working world. She may have been stern, but at least she took the time to critique us. If we gave a bad presentation to a client, he simply would not hire us.

A teacher acting like that in an intro course would be out of line, as there are all types of students here. With this course, the students should have been prepared to work and try speaking, with a possibility of failure. If the course weren't hard, it'd be meaningless.

lotuspuppy
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2010, 12:02 am

Descartes wrote:
I always thought college students were far more mature than high schoolers, and that the peak of stupidity in college was displayed in fraternities, but I guess I'm wrong. I'm probably in for a surprise when I start college this fall. 8O

Nah, it's not hopeless. Not all colleges are built the same, for one thing. You just have to find your niche. Besides, all students generally are more mature in college. People will leave me alone no matter what I do or what I look like.

In my case, my niche is centered around a professor here (an Aspie, of course). He's the closest one can find to a polymath these days, and is incredibly compassionate and intuitive. He's taught me so much, too.

Ancalagon
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2010, 12:51 am

lotuspuppy wrote:
Regarding my instructor, I must disagree with you there. The particular class in question was an advanced course, and was a free elective. Most of the people in the room were communications majors,

That explains a lot.

Definitely an advanced course should be harder than an intro course. I'm taking an intro to programming course, for pre-requisite purposes, even though I know a lot about programming and have been doing it, off and on, for a decade and a half. It presumes no prior knowledge about programming, and is incredibly easy, but you would not believe the whining about how hard it is.

I can't wait until I get to the harder courses that actually make me use my brain.

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2010, 1:17 am

Yes and my parents don't think I will be able to get into college. My neighbor's daughter told me her high school computer teacher lets them play games for the entire class and I guess college computer students do too becuase some of my brothers college friends who TOOK COURSES in Powerpoint couldn't even do a third of the things I did with it and I was just fourteen at the time. Dumb people. Why do some people even bother going to college and if I supposedly can't keep up but am "so smart" how do they manage? I bet they cheat.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2010, 4:29 am

Quote:
Her justification? She has been a professional for over 20 years, and he was not.

That's not a reason. If his speech was poor, and she knows what she is talking about, she should be able to articulate ways in which he could improve.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2010, 6:43 am

Who_Am_I wrote:
Quote:
Her justification? She has been a professional for over 20 years, and he was not.

That's not a reason. If his speech was poor, and she knows what she is talking about, she should be able to articulate ways in which he could improve.

Those were my thoughts too.

DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2010, 7:06 am

Lene wrote:
Who_Am_I wrote:
Quote:

Those were my thoughts too.

well it could be a case of maybe the other person had plenty of chances to improve, but is too stupid to take the chances seriously, so the instructor got fed up with the student for being too stupid to learn it. Why am I posting this you ask? maybe its to try to show both sides of the arguement, since everyones just supporting the student when there is really not enough background info to determine anything. So i just decided to give a situation in which it may be justifyable from the instructors point of view..

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2010, 7:31 am

Colleges/Universities are social constructs, not educational constructs.

For all their talk of "diversity" they really have zero tolerance for anyone who is not "diverse" in the commonly accepted "norms."

Hence, you stand out, you are the ideal of what they claim to embrace, but you are ridiculed and rejected. All opportunities post-graduation are tied to how "connected" you were in school, not how much you stood apart.

Being different still = BAD in their view. Conformity is the key to prosperity...even if it means dropping 40 IQ points to fit in.

DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2010, 7:34 am

zer0netgain wrote:
Colleges/Universities are social constructs, not educational constructs.

For all their talk of "diversity" they really have zero tolerance for anyone who is not "diverse" in the commonly accepted "norms."

Hence, you stand out, you are the ideal of what they claim to embrace, but you are ridiculed and rejected. All opportunities post-graduation are tied to how "connected" you were in school, not how much you stood apart.

Being different still = BAD in their view. Conformity is the key to prosperity...even if it means dropping 40 IQ points to fit in.

thats the sad truth of the matter. Society is so f*****g ignorant that it shouldnt exist but sadly it does.

mysassyself
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2010, 8:21 am

I agree with the general idea of the dumb people, although I love being dumb at things I'm dumb at.
I'd extend the idea, as a previous poster initiated, to saying that the whole of humanity is not as 'smart' as it's supposed to be.
Neither am I, by implication, but that's ok.

I'm smart enough to know that once I reach the point in a university course where I realise how dumb the course is and how irresponsible and unappreciatively everyone else is behaving, it means I can use it to my advantage, simply my study, do well and then the bi-fold effect of that will hopefully be people will think I'm ace because I can do so well at university which is 'so hard'.

I mean, really, isn't that how it really works?! I think so. I don't think I have to dit in with the social structure. I have more confidence than that. And more courage. They say courage is not the absence of fear, it's feeling the fear and doing it anyway.
Then, in my case, accepting whatever results I'll get at the end of semester :roll:

A Thursday child ..