Data on 'Star Trek NG' tried to be more human but what about

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Sirius
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Apr 2010, 9:01 pm

going in the opposite direction? I have always had the fantasy of being the 'Anti-Data' if you will, which means instead of a robot trying to be more human and emotional, a person instead trying to overcome their emotions to being more mechanical and efficient.

Sometimes I feel like I am a robot trapped in a human's body and the robot wants to break out and process and facilitate and it doesn't give a damn in the world about all the babbling these hairless chimps go on and on about. :twisted:

Ok, I get the bumbly mumbly about being more human but to me, I would rather be a good machine!

Anyone else have thoughts in going in the other direction?

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2010, 9:17 pm

I always felt like a cat, meerkat or animal trapped in a human body

ProfessorAspie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Apr 2010, 9:26 pm

Sirius wrote:
going in the opposite direction? I have always had the fantasy of being the 'Anti-Data' if you will, which means instead of a robot trying to be more human and emotional, a person instead trying to overcome their emotions to being more mechanical and efficient.

Sometimes I feel like I am a robot trapped in a human's body and the robot wants to break out and process and facilitate and it doesn't give a damn in the world about all the babbling these hairless chimps go on and on about. :twisted:

Ok, I get the bumbly mumbly about being more human but to me, I would rather be a good machine!

\

what is a robot's (in your sense of the word) motivation?

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2010, 9:28 pm

I used to try to be a robot. It's not much fun really.

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2010, 10:08 pm

Sirius wrote:

The society expect more and more of us to be good machines. And I am opposed to that!
I don't want to become a emotionless robot who only care about being perfomant and burning all humanity he got in process. I can't compete with most peoples on the "perfomance" thing anyway. So I prefer be a human being who still know what tears and smiles are.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2010, 10:28 pm

Sirius wrote:

Wouldn't that be Spock from ST-TOS?

jamesongerbil
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2010, 11:07 pm

Ha, my nickname is Data. What ever works for you. This thread shows variety in personalities, it's cool.
It's not like I'm emotionally vacant, though, only that i have trouble interfacing with other people and end up interfacing from a technical perspective. Sometimes its fun. I like to chop fruit in a technical way and people seem to like the result. Random? Now I'd want some fruit if it weren't bed time. XD Mmm... yummy.

Spock wanted to be more like his Vulcan side. I can see why he struggled so and I think he was a great Vulcan, especially for having human impulsivity in him. Vulcans developed such great control over themselves. (it's like he had the opposite of Aspergers :lol: ) And of course Kirk had to go call him "most human" at his funeral... :roll:

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2010, 11:12 pm

Um thetydid that with the orginal...Spock, they even mention that when Data and Spock met

Leander
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Apr 2010, 11:26 pm

A long time ago, before I knew what Aspergers was, I occasionally entertained the idea that I could be some sort of android. More recently I had to have a chest x-ray, and couldn't help imagining a situation where it came out showing a mass of tubes and other synthetic things where the organs were supposed to be. It could make for a pretty interesting science fiction story.

I have no desire to be more robot-like myself, though. I remember hearing a story about a man who, after recovering from having a tumor removed from his brain, was left unable to experience emotion. But instead of becoming more efficient, he became "pathologically indecisive", unable to make even mundane choices like what brand to buy while grocery shopping. With no gut feelings to guide him he just wasted hours analysing every facet of decisions that were largely unimportant. Apparently the brain just doesn't work right without feelings guiding it.

outlier
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2010, 3:54 am

That's what the boy did in the episode "Hero Worship" where he emulates Data and suppresses emotions. He is perplexed that Data wants to become more human.

alana
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2010, 4:03 am

I identify with Data. More his bad qualities than good ones. I feel like my whole life has been spent on the holodeck.

sarek
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

21 Apr 2010, 5:16 am

Going in the opposite direction? Is that not the Vulcan way?

The highest goal in life is the achievement of Kolinahr. Which means living completely logically and making all your decisions without emotion.

Actually both Sarek and the famous Spock himself ultimately failed in that endeavour for various reasons.

What beyond reality

musicboxforever
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2010, 5:40 am

Alot of Startrek episodes and character journeys seem to be about a quest to understand "humanity." One that comes to mind is Seven of Nine. I wonder how bad it would be being Borg. I don't think it would be that bad, if it weren't for the assimilation of other species. If you could voluntarily become Borg, maybe that would be ok.

sarek
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

21 Apr 2010, 4:03 pm

musicboxforever wrote:
Alot of Startrek episodes and character journeys seem to be about a quest to understand "humanity." One that comes to mind is Seven of Nine. I wonder how bad it would be being Borg. I don't think it would be that bad, if it weren't for the assimilation of other species. If you could voluntarily become Borg, maybe that would be ok.

No thanks please. I value my individuality way too much. I am the exact opposite of that. I often have the feeling that most people are sheep in a herd, so willing to give up parts of themselves to fit in.
To me that is an appalling thought. If there is any startrek race you can compare the NT world to, its the Borg.

What beyond reality

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2010, 8:45 pm

you're not anti data you're spock

Athenacapella
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Apr 2010, 8:52 pm

the whole contrast was always fascinating. You wouldn't have heartache, anger, hurt, sadness, loneliness, sorrow ... but you also couldn't have happiness, either.