Page 1 of 5 [ 71 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2010, 1:31 am

I personaly cannot stand the color yellow all by itself. Too much of it makes me get a headache and feel naucious. Espicaly if it is a darkish "goldenrod" color. I wonder if it's because it was one of the colors of my elementry school where I was so horribly bullied. But then the kid in The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime hated brown and yellow as well. Is hating certian colors, speficaly yellow, common to autistics?

Neon304
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 Apr 2010, 1:47 am

I think yellow may be one of the least common favorite colors among people in general, but as far as someone hating it, I'm not really sure. It will be interesting to see how people post though.

crocus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Apr 2010, 2:07 am

In colour psychology it's been found that certain shades of yellow painted in rooms will make people irritable and can cause discomfort and conflict and in tests people fought more in yellow rooms. It can make some people physically ill.

It's usually considered a cheery colour but can be overwhelming on the central nervous system for some people, especially if the saturation is strong.

I like yellow in nature, as in flowers mixed in with other colours. Other than that, I'm not fond of yellow. I would never paint a room in my home yellow. Small amounts of the colour here and there are ok though.

It's also one of two colours (including orange) I absolutely never wear because they look hideous on me.

Friskeygirl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2010, 2:09 am

Aren't meerkats yellow?

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2010, 3:58 am

You weren't traumatized by Sponge Bob, were you? :D I'm OK with regular yellow color or orangey yellow, but not the darker yellow like mustard, or bright neon yellow. They look kinda acidic and feel harsh to my eyes.

When my sons were babies my mom bought them a stuffed Sponge Bob. I opened the gift box and looked at it and nearly cried due to its color and sheer ugliness. Honestly it gave me goosebumps. I blurted out "where on earth did you get this?" I thought it had to be some sort of passing down the gift chain thing. She was affronted and said "What I bought it at the toy store of course. It was very popular." I said "You BOUGHT that?" Then I begged her to please return it. When she finally agreed I was so relieved.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

21 Apr 2010, 4:32 am

This is amazing. I hate yellow too. And it's particularly upsetting to me because I love van Gogh, and I've read about how he needed that particular yellow to be in his paintings so he stood hatless in the glaring summer sun until he saw that yellow, and then he would paint what he saw.

I get all my eyeglasses tinted very lightly with blue - that makes the world look like it's supposed to be. How do I know that? I've wondered - is there some sort of imbalance in my vision now that I didn't used to have? The light blue gets rid of the mustard colour in everything. I make similar changes to all light bulbs.

Kajjie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Apr 2010, 4:35 am

I smiled when I saw this thread - I generally dislike the colour yellow and my family and friends and I joke about it. I can tolerate and accept yellow things - I have a toy duck which is yellow and I love that toy duck (it feels very soft). Like most people associate red with anger and yellow with happiness, I associate the colour yellow with anxiety. Although most people say yellow is a happy colour, I have read many things now where people associate it with anxiety. Interestingly, the British Sign Language sign for 'yellow' is similar to the sign for 'worried'.

And yes, SpongeBob scares me. It's also just really disgusting. I don't know how a cartoon can be disgusting, but it is - it's like looking at pus or something.

JCpatriots
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Apr 2010, 4:35 am

I'm not a huge fan of any kind of bright colours, such as lime green, bright yellow, etc. I have sensitive eyes and the bright colours have always bugged me. Even headlights at night, some nights low beams on cars are UNBEARABLE. :/

y-pod wrote:
You weren't traumatized by Sponge Bob, were you? :D

Lol, that's funny. :D

Friskeygirl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2010, 4:42 am

pink colors make me dizzy and ill to my stomach

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2010, 6:29 am

Yellow and brown are my two least favourite colours. I will not wear brown, or yellow. Yellow is too hard on my eyes, and the colour, brown brings back unpleasant memories.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

21 Apr 2010, 7:16 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
Yellow and brown are my two least favourite colours. I will not wear brown, or yellow. Yellow is too hard on my eyes, and the colour, brown brings back unpleasant memories.

Exactly and precisely, me too!

Avarice
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2010, 7:25 am

I hate synthetic yellow, the kinds in paint. I do like natural yellow though, such as in flowers.

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2010, 8:10 am

Friskeygirl wrote:
Aren't meerkats yellow?

No they are gray or various shades of brown depending on subspecies or "breed".

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2010, 8:14 am

CockneyRebel wrote:

Yellow and brown were the school colors. Why couldn't they have picked something pretty like blue and white?

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2010, 10:49 am

Claradoon wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:

Exactly and precisely, me too!

But, your avatar is yellow... 8O

pumibel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2010, 5:06 pm

I love yellow. I think anyone who canwear yellow should. It is the color of the sunshine. It adds light to everything. When I do highlights in my drawings I use yellow or yellow mixed with white. It may not be a good idea to look at a big block of solid yellow for too long, driving the rods and cones crazy in your eyes, but it is a great color IMO.