Do you agree with my parenting style?

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

AnAutisticMind
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

21 Apr 2010, 2:35 pm

as a man with aspergers, I really can still remember the ridicule of my strange acting in public.Once someone sees you do something inappropriate,(in school, on the street, etc) they never forget it.AND ALWAYS REWMIND YOU! :twisted:

i am teaching my 8 yr old moderately functioning autistic how to behave in public. he understands everything. my wife and i constantly correct him when he stims in public, or makes noises, or does anything inappropriate . we tell him that "in public", that is not what we do

my reasons are to teach him how to properley function in the real world, which is not a pretty place. i also dont want him to endure the humiliations i did as i was growing up from lack of social understanding.

however, he is allowed to stim and be as autistic as he wants to be in the privacy of his own home, within reasons of course. i feel he needs to live out his autism in a private way and never change who he really is

i just want him to learn how to act appropriately in public. sure he has to mask who he is in public and act as nuerotypical as possible. but we feel that is the best way to help him in a very cruel world.

anyone else use this philosophy...is it wrong?....a better way?

thanks

gramirez
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2010, 3:02 pm

Sounds perfectly fine to me.

Kajjie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Apr 2010, 3:05 pm

Do you explain why you tell him not to stim in public, so he can make decisions as he gets older? I am 19 and I have decided to 'act autistic' when I'm at uni because people there don't seem to care.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2010, 3:29 pm

Depending of course on what the stim is, I see no innate problem with stimming in public. If I wasn't able to rock back and forth on the balls of my feet sometimes, I would have panic attacks in public, which would be far more embarrassing.

I don't think teaching someone to repress who they are is healthy, unless it involves a self expression that's likely to get them in trouble. If you think you're going to teach an Autistic to hide their Autism so well no Neurotypical person would ever identify them as different, you might as well be trying to disguise an elephant as a sparrow.

I took as much sh*t as anybody for my peculiar behaviors, but repressing them would only have caused me more anxiety than I already had, and my natural anxiety level is pretty high. You just gotta let other people's razzing and nagging roll off you, screw 'em if they don't get it. They're going to discriminate against anybody that's different - holding your true personality in so nobody will notice is an exercise in futility that will quickly make you miserable.

But my two cents won't get you a gumball... :wink:

j0sh
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2010, 4:14 pm

As long as it's done in a loving manner, I think it's a good thing. I think the reason I've functioned as well as I have is because of the CONSTANT corrections I got from my mother. I'm not saying that being on the receiving end of those constant corrections was fun, but I do think it has something to do with my success in living independently as an adult. Unfortunately, she didn't understand why I was different, so those corrections weren't always very loving.

Here's the main reason why I think what you're doing is ok/good:

It seems like some people who were diagnosed early in life and were over-sheltered their entire childhood don't stand a chance in the real world; because they were over-sheltered. They spend the first 18 years of their life in an environment where anything goes and everything is attributed to having AS. Then when they try to leave this overly sheltered environment, they don't understand why the entire world doesn't accommodate them like they are used to.

When you are out in the real world as an adult, people don't cut you slack. They automatically assume the worst and first impressions are huge. It would be nice if things were different, but they aren't. A boss isn't going to hire someone that is doing some kind of bizarre behavior in the waiting room or in the interview. It's just how life is, and life is seldom fare.

If you can prepare your son for reality, in a loving manner, you are doing him a service. It's about survival in the real world we live in.

My 2c

pumibel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2010, 5:12 pm

AnAutisticMind wrote:
as a man with aspergers, I really can still remember the ridicule of my strange acting in public.Once someone sees you do something inappropriate,(in school, on the street, etc) they never forget it.AND ALWAYS REWMIND YOU! :twisted:

i am teaching my 8 yr old moderately functioning autistic how to behave in public. he understands everything. my wife and i constantly correct him when he stims in public, or makes noises, or does anything inappropriate . we tell him that "in public", that is not what we do

my reasons are to teach him how to properley function in the real world, which is not a pretty place. i also dont want him to endure the humiliations i did as i was growing up from lack of social understanding.

however, he is allowed to stim and be as autistic as he wants to be in the privacy of his own home, within reasons of course. i feel he needs to live out his autism in a private way and never change who he really is

i just want him to learn how to act appropriately in public. sure he has to mask who he is in public and act as nuerotypical as possible. but we feel that is the best way to help him in a very cruel world.

thanks

I think this is a very healthy way to handle his autistic behaviors. This way he feels accepted by those who love him and understands that he has to control certain behaviors in public. This is not so different with NT kids. You teach them inside and outside voice and not to run around the store as they would at home. I like that you don't limit his slimming at home. I think a lot of parents in my day tried to abolish all "strange" activities whether public or private.

willaful
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2010, 5:18 pm

The phrase "constant corrections" is a red flag for me. My experience with my son is that too many corrections can make him feel really lousy. If your constant corrections are causing your child anxiety and low self-esteem, you won't be doing him any favors. I'm not saying that they *are*, just that it's something to be aware of.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2010, 6:00 pm

My parents were like that, about my Cockney accent. They kept on telling me not to speak in a nasal tone. "Don't talk through your nose! You're talking through your nose, again!" It made me feel very lousy. That whole Summer of 87, when I was 12, I'd wake up each day, wondering how many times my parents were going to tell me not to speak in a nasal tone, that day, instead of thinking about what a nice day it was, or I'd better run into the living room, because The Monkees would soon be on. I was in denial about the fact that I speak with a Cockney accent, from that point, until I've started college. I told my friends and teachers, that I sounded like The Beatles. I've even heard some kids say that I didn't sound like The Beatles, behind my back, as I would leave my regular classes, to go to more regular classes. A Kinks Fan who sounds like The Beatles. How about a Sex Pistols Fan who sounds like Willie Nelson?

AnAutisticMind
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

21 Apr 2010, 7:19 pm

gramirez wrote:
Sounds perfectly fine to me.

thank you, as long as "love' is the ends to the means

AnAutisticMind
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

21 Apr 2010, 7:29 pm

Kajjie wrote:
Do you explain why you tell him not to stim in public, so he can make decisions as he gets older? I am 19 and I have decided to 'act autistic' when I'm at uni because people there don't seem to care.

here are his main stims, so you tell me

1- he flaps his arms like a bird when he gets excited, lol....is quite a sight, lol......we gently tell him, 'arms down", and he abides until the next time....at home he can do it within reason

2- he sometimes grabs his crotch with both hands and pulls up a couple times(never in any sexual undertone, he just grabs his package, lol...and he never saw michael jackson before either, roflmao), roflmao....what do you think of that one?..he always gets a firm,"no touching our privates'..AND AT HOME!! !!

3- he sometimes makes noises that cause other children to look at him ,and in their stares say, "WTF is wrong with you"..this breaks my heart in pieces as i remember those same looks without a clue when i was a kiddo.....I WILL NOT LET THIS HAPPEN TO HIM as much if i can help it...i have had 7 year old children make a near 50 year old man in tears mocking my son with those same eyes i saw decades ago....NO WAY!! !!

AnAutisticMind
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

21 Apr 2010, 7:31 pm

Willard wrote:
Depending of course on what the stim is, I see no innate problem with stimming in public. If I wasn't able to rock back and forth on the balls of my feet sometimes, I would have panic attacks in public, which would be far more embarrassing.

I don't think teaching someone to repress who they are is healthy, unless it involves a self expression that's likely to get them in trouble. If you think you're going to teach an Autistic to hide their Autism so well no Neurotypical person would ever identify them as different, you might as well be trying to disguise an elephant as a sparrow.

I took as much sh*t as anybody for my peculiar behaviors, but repressing them would only have caused me more anxiety than I already had, and my natural anxiety level is pretty high. You just gotta let other people's razzing and nagging roll off you, screw 'em if they don't get it. They're going to discriminate against anybody that's different - holding your true personality in so nobody will notice is an exercise in futility that will quickly make you miserable.

But my two cents won't get you a gumball... :wink:

thanks will, see above

that is why i give him the freedoms to be himself at home , yet try to differintiate with another more complex world outside. :roll:

AnAutisticMind
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

21 Apr 2010, 7:33 pm

j0sh wrote:
As long as it's done in a loving manner, I think it's a good thing. I think the reason I've functioned as well as I have is because of the CONSTANT corrections I got from my mother. I'm not saying that being on the receiving end of those constant corrections was fun, but I do think it has something to do with my success in living independently as an adult. Unfortunately, she didn't understand why I was different, so those corrections weren't always very loving.

Here's the main reason why I think what you're doing is ok/good:

It seems like some people who were diagnosed early in life and were over-sheltered their entire childhood don't stand a chance in the real world; because they were over-sheltered. They spend the first 18 years of their life in an environment where anything goes and everything is attributed to having AS. Then when they try to leave this overly sheltered environment, they don't understand why the entire world doesn't accommodate them like they are used to.

When you are out in the real world as an adult, people don't cut you slack. They automatically assume the worst and first impressions are huge. It would be nice if things were different, but they aren't. A boss isn't going to hire someone that is doing some kind of bizarre behavior in the waiting room or in the interview. It's just how life is, and life is seldom fare.

If you can prepare your son for reality, in a loving manner, you are doing him a service. It's about survival in the real world we live in.

My 2c

brilliant josh, you said it better than i ever could....clap, clap, clap

my immense love and devotion for him is all there is

AnAutisticMind
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

21 Apr 2010, 7:35 pm

pumibel wrote:
AnAutisticMind wrote:

thanks

I think this is a very healthy way to handle his autistic behaviors. This way he feels accepted by those who love him and understands that he has to control certain behaviors in public. This is not so different with NT kids. You teach them inside and outside voice and not to run around the store as they would at home. I like that you don't limit his slimming at home. I think a lot of parents in my day tried to abolish all "strange" activities whether public or private.

your wisdom goes wothout saying...thanks

AnAutisticMind
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

21 Apr 2010, 7:40 pm

willaful wrote:
The phrase "constant corrections" is a red flag for me. My experience with my son is that too many corrections can make him feel really lousy. If your constant corrections are causing your child anxiety and low self-esteem, you won't be doing him any favors. I'm not saying that they *are*, just that it's something to be aware of.

thank you mother willaful, lol

you bring up a great point

ours' is done out of love and for his future...nothing else matters

but i do see your point and it is a good one...if it is done out of a parents' embarassment or to ridicule, it is a detriment

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2010, 8:09 pm

willaful wrote:
Yes, I agree with this. It's important that you don't correct him so often that he feels like he can't do anything right. That often happens when you are asking people to do very difficult things that they can't do when they are having a bad day; so they feel very helpless when they fail at them.

I also agree with the people who say that it is very important to tell him why you are teaching him these things--not that his autistic tendencies are shameful in and of themselves, but that some people do not understand that they are okay to do.

re. suppressing stims: Re-directing the more obvious ones rather than suppressing seems to be a sensible approach here. If he is so used to suppressing them that he can't do them when he needs them, he is going to be in a world of trouble.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

willaful
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2010, 8:43 pm

AnAutisticMind wrote:
you bring up a great point

ours' is done out of love and for his future...nothing else matters

but i do see your point and it is a good one...if it is done out of a parents' embarassment or to ridicule, it is a detriment

Oh, I'm sure it is done out of love! You don't want him to suffer like you have. But feeling like you can't do anything right is a real burden. So finding a balance is the tricky part.