Man had sex with 15 year old autistic girl; jailed

Page 1 of 4 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Ahaseurus2000
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2010, 9:39 pm

I think the man was going after the daughter in the first place, meeting the mother was the means to the end. Abusive men can be very charming and persuasive, and can hide abuse very well. At the same time, did the mother give any information about her daughter on-line (including that she has a daughter) before meeting this man? If so, that can be regarded as irresponsible to the point of endangering a dependant / minor.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2010, 9:51 pm

Reminds me of that story Lolita except I don't think this girl necessarily shared the same passionate feelings this man had for her. -_-

pandd
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2010, 12:07 am

Ahaseurus2000 wrote:
I think the man was going after the daughter in the first place, meeting the mother was the means to the end. Abusive men can be very charming and persuasive, and can hide abuse very well. At the same time, did the mother give any information about her daughter on-line (including that she has a daughter) before meeting this man? If so, that can be regarded as irresponsible to the point of endangering a dependant / minor.

Actually it is the norm to tell complete strangers that one has children, their ages, and their genders. This kind of information is casually shared not secret squirrel.

MotherKnowsBest
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2010, 3:57 am

Katie_WPG wrote:
There are details that are missing from the story.

If the age of consent in England is 16, then what he did was illegal. If it's 14 or 15, then her being autistic would be the sole factor that would make it illegal.

Is that "fair"? Regardless of the ethics of what this man did, you can't deny that there has been a long history of trying to desexualize disabled teens and adults by making it a crime to have even consensual sex with them (or even going as far as forcible sterilization and punishment for expressing sexuality).

There is nothing in the story that suggested that it was non-consensual. Odd? Yes. "Taking Advantage"? Probably. But did she view it as a violation? Who knows?

The age of consent is 16. And then there is the grey area of being in a position of authority. A teacher who had sex with a 17 year old pupil would be in big trouble. In this case, as well as the age, is the abuse of position in that he was involved with the mother and the girl called him Dad.

Ahaseurus2000
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2010, 12:11 am

pandd wrote:
Ahaseurus2000 wrote:

Actually it is the norm to tell complete strangers that one has children, their ages, and their genders. This kind of information is casually shared not secret squirrel.

OK, but consider: This man could have been searching deliberately for a little girl to abuse. Is it wise, then, to point out at an on-line meeting site that you have a child?

I just thought, where on-line did they meet?

lotusblossom
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2010, 3:33 am

Ahaseurus2000 wrote:
pandd wrote:
Ahaseurus2000 wrote:

OK, but consider: This man could have been searching deliberately for a little girl to abuse. Is it wise, then, to point out at an on-line meeting site that you have a child?

I just thought, where on-line did they meet?

most people would say on their dating site if they had kids or not as lots of men are put off by kids and people view it as important, even aspieaffection asks if you have kids.

I dont think not telling people would protect ones kids anyway as Ive known several women who were abused by their step dads and their mums obviously trusted them enough to marry them, these men are just good tricksters and there is not much protection against lyers.

In the UK single mums can check the sex offenders register for this very reason but you need to have 'due cause' and they could lie about their name so I dont think its helpful.

And its hard to protect kids completely, in my town this week a 14 year old girl was held down by 3 men while a 4th asulted her on her way home from the park. The only way to protect them from that sort of thing would be to not let them out of the house.

Men who abuse kids find their way into peoples families and kids clubs and lie and manipulate to get their way. I think the best way round it is for kids to feel they can talk to parents about someone makeing them feel uncomfortable so abuse can be stopped before it happens. I know when I was a teen a teacher kept trying to kiss me and grope me and no one beleived me and thought I was makeing trouble, that sort of dismissing of children has to stop.

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2010, 11:59 pm

Do British prison inmates try to rape pedophiles like the American/Canadian inmates do? The American prison system has to keep them seperate by the inmates are resorcefull and get them once in a while. :twisted:

callmecuriousorNT
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Feb 2012, 3:55 pm

to people who don't really know about or understand
autism (you can't blame them)
when they hear autism they get a certain ideal
of what an austin person is in their head
and it's usually not flattering or like they arent
capable of taking care of themselves etc

and then she's 15. too young for him. innapropiate

so hearing
someone whose NT having sex with an autistic 15 year old
sounds like she was tooken advantage of because of her age
and the autistic thing

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

03 Feb 2012, 11:13 pm

It does not say how severe her autism was...if she was like LFA with severe cognitive disabilitites, which is possible, then even if she was 18, she techically could not give informed consent.
However even if she was HFA/AS, at 15, her emotional/social development would have been delayed to that of a 12-13 year old. Plus as a female with HFA, as a teen I had a really hard time reading sexual non-verbal signals and was in sexual situations that I did not want to be in, but did not have the social skills to maneuver out of that situation. I didn't really know how to set boundaries and ended up in situations I had no idea how to get out of. I did not want to have sex, but did not know how to convey that to some lust-hungry teenage boy 2 years older than I was.
So its not about desexualizing those with disabilities as it is truly being able to give consent or not give consent

Jojo

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2012, 3:07 am

Jojobean is absolutely right. The girl's autism would not have been mentioned if it was not a factor in her ability to consent or possibly even comprehend what he did.

Sylkat

abacacus
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2012, 3:12 am

Age of consent in most places is 18 or 16, either way he broke the law.

I wonder how functional she is.

I'm stunned by the short sentence, when will society start to punish criminals to the extent they deserve?

You will reap what you've sown.

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

04 Feb 2012, 11:43 am

Sylkat wrote:
Jojobean is absolutely right. The girl's autism would not have been mentioned if it was not a factor in her ability to consent or possibly even comprehend what he did.

Sylkat

thank you.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2012, 12:31 pm

In a lot of places the age of consent is 13-15. I don't see the big deal here myself. 15 year olds are capable of giving consent, they're not children, and having sex with one doesn't make you a pedophile.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2012, 5:57 pm

I think the age difference and the fact that she is underage and so young points to him being a pedophile. I am not endorsing what he did at all. I think he needs to be put away where he gets to be on the receiving in for a while.

I do want to say something about consent and AS though. I am also not advocating underage sex either. I lost mine when I was 15. I have AS, but nobody knew what it was then. I was perfectly able to consent, in fact it was my idea. (thats a whole 'nother story which I'll tell on another thread if somebody wants to know) I am wondering about the girls funtioning level who was in the story. When they say "autistic" people automatically assume that the person is lower functioning and cannot consent. Autism seems to have become synonomous with the idea of lower functioning and cognition.

Here is an example. Age differences between teenagers who are dating seem to be fairly common. Girls who are around 15 or 16 many times, date boys who are around 18 or 19. Sometimes they do have sex. Sometimes they are in relationships when they do so. If an NT 15 yo girl and 18 yo bf have sex, yes that is statuatory rape. However would most people automatically assume that coersion was involved? Probably not if they had been dating a while. Change the story and make the girl autistic and everybody assumes that he used her for sex and that she didn't consent because she didn't have the ability even if it's pointed out that she has AS and might be on the higher functioning end of it. People still equate autistic with inability to consent to things.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2012, 6:01 pm

OliveOilMom wrote:
I think the age difference and the fact that she is underage and so young points to him being a pedophile.

Not really. The age of consent is 16 in the UK but it is often not enforced as long as it's not an abusive relationship or the guy isn't older.

Really, it depends on how much she understood what was going on aside from the age of consent issue.

Longshanks
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2012, 6:10 pm

What's really disgusting is that if it was a woman doing this to a boy the woman would only get a slap on the wrist.