Page 3 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

donnie_darko
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2010, 7:08 pm

well it's interesting. it's certainly bizarre!

eagletalon86
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Jul 2010, 8:34 pm

If given a choice of fandoms this is the one I would take, easily. I would have never known it was called "furry" back in my middle school days, nor why it struck me the way it did that I was more interested in half-human/half-animal beings more than anything else.

What I don't like is how people associate "furry" with sex, there's more to the story if people would take time to do the research and see that's it just another interest much like anime or Star Trek.

AMDeering
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Jul 2010, 10:29 pm

I find it so interesting that so many furries I know have AS. It's almost spooky.

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be?"

Faelan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Jul 2010, 5:19 am

AMDeering wrote:
I find it so interesting that so many furries I know have AS. It's almost spooky.

Looking back at the people I met face to face back in the days when I was active in the furry community, I'd say a fair share of them were on the spectrum. That was in '95-96, so none of us really knew about AS. Kinda creepy, because back then I sometimes wondered if some of the furries, myself included, had some sort of obscure mental disorder. There were just too many weird similarities. When I finally did learn about AS many years later, one of the first things that went through my head was "so that explains my furry side..."

ShenLong
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2010, 8:58 pm

I went to a convention a few weeks ago and talked to some of the furries there. They're not as weird as everyone thinks, at least the ones I talked to.

I saw this on a thread on the local 501st's(a star wars costuming and charity group) forums. Theyseem to be highly critical of costumed furries, but I think that's a bit hypocritical. They don't know about the whole fetish thing, but they just find walking around in an animal costume strange. People think walking around dressed as Stormtroopers or Sith is weird too. Image

Last edited by ShenLong on 01 Aug 2010, 9:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AMDeering
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Aug 2010, 9:12 pm

In response to the above post... LOL... those are some weird-looking fursuits. :)

I'm a furry. Furries range from normal to weird. It just depends on the individual you talk to. We're like people that way.

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be?"

ShenLong
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2010, 9:15 pm

Yes, I know that. The ones I saw and/or talked to didn't seem that weird though.

Dnuos
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2010, 11:03 pm

I'm not a furry, but I may as well come out and say that for a brief period of time, I had Otherkin beliefs - which is another "subculture" often linked to the furry culture. (Not going to say what I identified as)

I gave up those beliefs, mostly because of the distress caused by them. With a depression conflict that led to questionable results, and now finding out I'm autistic, and that I don't believe in hell (which makes things difficult at church and at home), I have enough to hide as is. While I still have my fantasies and anything's possible, it just isn't worth my time to worry about that, and just take what I have in this life. Which may not be much, but it's something...

I recall hearing about AS multiple times in that community, however. Many of them had AS, and I think I recall someone stating that the "Otherkin culture will often be linked to AS", or something like that. Certainly makes sense, with the "I belong in a different world" feeling both seem to share.

ShenLong
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2010, 12:17 am

The only mmo that I play, Istaria, is filled with Otherkin. Specifically dragonkin, because Istaria is the only mmo that i know of in which you can play a dragon. I find it funny how if you make comments against dragons, they freak out sometimes. Dragons for me equate to a favorite animal if they were real of course, nothing more. For them, dragons are their life.