Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

TheLastVictorian
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Apr 2010, 6:57 pm

Has anyone had experience taking online courses/programes? Are they "worth anything?" in terms ofrecognition in the job market?

Daniella
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Apr 2010, 4:15 pm

I've done this "Professional Webdesigner" course once. Even though I learnt quite a lot, I don't think they're worth much compared to, for example, college. And it wouldn't have been enough to get any "real" job, I learnt most of the things I know myself, still. I don't think putting a course on your CV would get you the job if there's competition. But if you have some spare time to kill, it can't hurt either. It's a nice little extra.

Try looking for one where you actually get certified. The course I did led to two certifications from an independent party (CIW).

Ancalagon
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2010, 5:40 pm

About a year ago I did a little research on online-only degrees for the field I'm interested in. It turns out that very few schools offer completely online bachelor degrees in my field, but a fair number offer them for masters/phd level.

It probably makes a big difference what you're interested in studying.

I have no idea how that all works out in the job market.

astaut
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2010, 12:37 pm

I haven't done an online degree, but I have taken some online classes. There are some pros and cons, but I found that usually the cons outweighed the pros. It depended a lot on whether the teacher was experienced in doing online classes. I will be taking an online Trigonometry course this summer from a teacher I have had before and she was good because she's an experienced teacher. I've had two other courses that weren't good because the teacher's weren't experienced. I know someone who is looking for an entirely online degree and is having trouble finding one. I also don't know how online degrees hold weight in the job market.

Do you know what degree you want to go for? Do you mind if I ask why you want to go online instead of in person? I did online because I have some health problems and attendance is hard so I took a couple online. I have a much better experience in class, though.

astaut
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2010, 12:39 pm

Whoops, double post...

Last edited by astaut on 28 Apr 2010, 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheLastVictorian
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Apr 2010, 6:29 pm

I was looking into an online certification program because I am fairly bound to home at the moment but have a couple of hours a week 'extra.' (It's too late to enroll in the summer session now for the programmes I was looking at anyway, but I'm still curious about the whole thing, in case I"m still in the same work/living situation in the fall.) I was looking at taking classes that could lead to certification through the University of Guelph (thats in Canada)

I do intend to go to college later on, I was just wondering about online courses between now and then, to try and keep my brain from going all mushy.

What others have said here jives with my own perceptions - that online-only certification probably won't hurt, but no serious employer is going to hire you for a serious job if you have an online ceritifcation, and the next guy has a bricks-and-mortar certification.

Perhaps I should just teach myself Esperanto! 8)

astaut
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2010, 10:33 pm

TheLastVictorian wrote:
I do intend to go to college later on, I was just wondering about online courses between now and then, to try and keep my brain from going all mushy.

I think that could work out just fine, taking some classes online for now and doing some other in the classroom later. If you decide you want to do them all online, I don't know how that differs in the eyes on an employer (an online degree). Having a class to keep up with is a good way to keep yourself entertained when you're restrained to the house...however, with most courses you have to go to the college to take proctored tests. You might as well go to an adviser and ask some questions and see if it would be something you would be interested in.

AspieBri
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Apr 2010, 1:49 am

Esperanto estas la plej granda! Tre amuzo. :D

Here's something: http://www.back2college.com/onlinedegrees.htm

Hope it helps. I'm planning on enrolling in the Univ. of Phoenix online, but they have campuses. I'm pretty much homebound, too. If I were to get better, I could attend a campus or do both. I don't know much about schools in Canada, though.

groupoidification
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Apr 2010, 4:30 am

Sorry if this isn't directly applicable, but Stanford has a rather neat program called the Online High School. They also have some other various distance programmes for K-12 students which can be done on an individual course basis.

tina.mary911
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Jul 2020, 8:16 am

Hello,
I am a new member here and I enrolled my daughter to an online school recently and so far she has been very happy. So we are glad we took the decision. And I was what wondering kind of experience have you had so far. We are fairly new to this online school world but the fact that they have been very flexible and accommodating towards my daughter's health issues has been a great help. She did well in elementary but didn't transition well to middle school (due to bullying). So far she as been very happy with the change and looks forward to submitting her assignments online. The best part for us seeing her happy to learn again which is precious.

usagibryan
Toucan
Toucan

27 Jul 2020, 8:50 am

I got my AA in IT from University of Phoenix, I was pressured by my mom because I was a NEET living at home. Afterward I learned about UoP's bad reputation and now I'm embarrassed by my degree. I didn't even get any job offers in IT until I got my A+ and MCP certifications anyway. That's not to say online education is a bad thing, if anything it makes sense during this pandemic and if it's a good school why not? This is just my personal experience.

I would love to get my BS in Computer Science but idk how I would be able to afford it or do it while working, especially while I'm still currently saddled with student loan debt.

"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age"

sorrowfairiewhisper
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2020, 9:59 am

I’ve thought about it before but knowing my luck, the internet will lag or something will pack up or be taking from me ( devices)