Page 1 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2010, 5:07 pm

All my life I have had a high pain threshold, like at my old job. I was a metal polisher removing scratches from machined parts. The friction caused the metal to get hot. The bosses and managers would ask to see a part so I would hand it to them only to see them yell and put the part down. They would laugh shaking their heads at me and asking what the hell I put on my hands not to feel the heat. I would also have fellow employees telling me I think your hand is bleeding again. I was always cutting them on steel and brass stock. They were always worried that I was going to get really hurt and ignore it.

LP0rc
Raven
Raven

24 Apr 2010, 5:14 pm

High pain threshold here, too. I sometimes wonder if part of being HFA is distraction by focus, or perpetual shock.

alana
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2010, 5:21 pm

yep. I don't know why, I just do. If it's pain I can know is going to happen I can experience it from a logical standpoint as just another sensory experience (like needle sticks at the doctor or whatever).

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2010, 5:41 pm

alana wrote:
yep. I don't know why, I just do. If it's pain I can know is going to happen I can experience it from a logical standpoint as just another sensory experience (like needle sticks at the doctor or whatever).

My mother was relieved when I was a baby because I never screamed when I got shots.

pschristmas
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2010, 6:47 pm

High threshold, here, too. It runs in my family.

TheDeviantOne
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Apr 2010, 6:55 pm

If only I had high pain threshold, because in my case, it's pretty low, which is especially annoying at the gym. This would be so useful when it comes to lifting and moving stuff, since too often do I feel that people think I'm just "in the way".

The Internet; human stupidity at its finest...

Darkword
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2010, 7:35 pm

I generally do as well, although pain that comes from cold sources I can feel pretty intensely.

Apera
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2010, 9:24 pm

I've always had a very low threshold... at least for pain. I might have a greater tolerance for some other things...

But they do not have me

Elementary_Physics
Toucan
Toucan

24 Apr 2010, 10:45 pm

More so cripplingly low for me. Even watching someone get hurt sends me into screams and convulsions.
I am a 17 year old who screams her head off getting a shot that I can barely feel

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2010, 10:57 pm

I also have an extremely low threshold for pain. I cannot stand getting needles or even having my teeth scraped during a cleaning at the dentists.
My sensitivity to touch stimuli is very high in general. That is my only real sensory issue. Other than that I am not hyper (or hypo) sensitive to anything.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2010, 11:08 pm

daydreamer84 wrote:
I also have an extremely low threshold for pain. I cannot stand getting needles or even having my teeth scraped during a cleaning at the dentists.
My sensitivity to touch stimuli is very high in general. That is my only real sensory issue. Other than that I am not hyper (or hypo) sensitive to anything.
I'm exactly the same. I'm afraid of getting blood tests because they are so painful. But I'm only hypersensitive to pan when it's on my skin. I had really bad sciatica pain last year and I could deal with it because it didn't involve the skin.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2010, 11:13 pm

i come from a family of stoic numb people. tremendous physical insults cannot cause them to lose their cool composure. moi, on the other hand, screams like a little girl when i get bee-stung, and when i stub my toe i go YOWYOWYOW! getting an injection takes all my effort to not swoon from utter sharp stabbing pain.

dt18
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Apr 2010, 11:45 pm

I have the opposite problem. I have a very low pain threshold. Every little thing hurts.

Zeek
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2010, 11:49 pm

I have high pain threshold too. Well injections hurt but in general, like if I have really bad tonsilitis (which I often get) all it is to me is a dry throat. When I broke my wrist I didn't cry til I was alone. Tempratures do get me down though. If I have a temprature I just can't focus. It's odd.

pyzzazzyZyzzyva
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Apr 2010, 12:38 am

I have always had a high pain threshold. For most types of pain, I can recognize the pain, but just choose to ignore it. It'll 40 degrees F outside and I'll be wearing shorts and a T-shirt. Physically, I feel goose bumps and shiver, but mentally, I ignore it.

LostNFound
Raven
Raven

25 Apr 2010, 1:50 am

I don't do nearly as well with extremes of hot or cold like I once did. I do have a very unusual tolerance to dull/blunt pain sometimes enjoying it. I regulary get some pretty hideous bruises only for a family member to notice and exclaim "what the hell happened?!" More often that not I haven't a clue. I think I bruise easily anyhow. Sharp pain, not so tolerable.

Somehow it feels right that those on autistic spectrum could fairly easily disavow an assortment of otherwise painful acts. For lack of a better word, pain is really just an illusion is it not? If your mind isn't focused on the pain signals seems natural that it would be much more tolerable.

Last edited by LostNFound on 25 Apr 2010, 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.