Page 2 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2010, 1:51 am

I wanted to mention, for people with a low pain threshold, you can ask your doctor for a prescription cream called Emla to numb the area before an injection or blood test.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2010, 1:56 am

bee33 wrote:
I wanted to mention, for people with a low pain threshold, you can ask your doctor for a prescription cream called Emla to numb the area before an injection or blood test.

unfortunately, you won't find that marvelous stuff [EMLA] outside of a very few places, like private hospitals where rich patients can demand it. being a member of "group death" for many years, they never had it.

oliverthered
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2010, 2:14 am

I mixed,
when it hurts is hurts a lot, and that could be something as little as the slightest touch, or even imagining something.
other that that I don't really feel pain, from scratches and the continues bumps cuts and grazes, standing on nails, etc.. due to my clumsiness to the more serious things like broken bones (that didn't even hurt at-all)

I also have something a little like fibromalgia, sometimes I get really nasty pain from normal / light pressure, just from lieing down for a hour or so, even when I turn over I get the pain on the opposite side, feeling like someone has stabbed a razor sharp, glowing hot needle into my heal etc...

flurry
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

25 Apr 2010, 2:17 am

in my case, it depends on the type of stimulus. i have a high threshold for temperature - take what i've been told are scalding hot baths, that a half an hour later a family member cannot get into after me because it's still too hot. likewise, i put an ice pack on my lower back recently as i strained it, when i took it away my skin was completely frozen - i gave myself frostbite and for the next week my skin proceeded to turn black and blue and then scar over. it was sort of a shock to me, as the whole time i had the cold pack on, it felt really good.

oliverthered
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2010, 3:05 am

flurry wrote:
in my case, it depends on the type of stimulus. i have a high threshold for temperature - take what i've been told are scalding hot baths, that a half an hour later a family member cannot get into after me because it's still too hot. likewise, i put an ice pack on my lower back recently as i strained it, when i took it away my skin was completely frozen - i gave myself frostbite and for the next week my skin proceeded to turn black and blue and then scar over. it was sort of a shock to me, as the whole time i had the cold pack on, it felt really good.

I used to be able to east chilli powder / cayane pepper power strait out of the jar by the spoonfull and not even taste a thing 'well it had a mild, woody taste like paprika'

Now I can barely eat anything with much dried chilli in it, but fresh chillies not a problem. Give me a nice hot thai any day no problem, give me anything above a 'mild' indian and I'm not eating it.

LostNFound
Raven
Raven

25 Apr 2010, 3:38 am

oliverthered wrote:
flurry wrote:

I used to be able to east chilli powder / cayane pepper power strait out of the jar by the spoonfull and not even taste a thing 'well it had a mild, woody taste like paprika'

Now I can barely eat anything with much dried chilli in it, but fresh chillies not a problem. Give me a nice hot thai any day no problem, give me anything above a 'mild' indian and I'm not eating it.

I gotta ask. What is the big difference between a hot Thai or a mild Indian? Sounds like the same boat to me. Those are Indian, I believe, that are the dried peppers in the Wanchai Ferry Orange chicken I love making. They are horendous hot if you chew one. Not a big problem since they taste awful anyhow.

I love hot peppers. My chronic heartburn gets in the way of persuing them though. Tabasco is about as hot as I'll go on a semi regular basis. I touched a bit of Dave's Insanity to tip of my tongue once and I believe I drooled incessantly for a good 10 minutes. That's just not fun.

LostNFound
Raven
Raven

25 Apr 2010, 3:42 am

oliverthered wrote:
flurry wrote:

I gotta ask. What is the big difference between a hot Thai or a mild Indian? Sounds like the same boat to me. Those are Indian, I believe, that are the dried peppers in the Wanchai Ferry Orange chicken I love making. They are horrendous hot if you chew one. Not a big problem since they taste awful anyhow.

I love hot peppers. My chronic heartburn gets in the way of persuing them though. Tabasco is about as hot as I'll go on a semi regular basis. I touched a bit of Dave's Insanity to tip of my tongue once and I believe I drooled incessantly for a good 10 minutes. That's just not fun.

oliverthered
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2010, 4:29 am

LostNFound wrote:
oliverthered wrote:
flurry wrote:

I gotta ask. What is the big difference between a hot Thai or a mild Indian? Sounds like the same boat to me. Those are Indian, I believe, that are the dried peppers in the Wanchai Ferry Orange chicken I love making. They are horrendous hot if you chew one. Not a big problem since they taste awful anyhow.

Dried pepper give a prolonged hotness, fresh peppers give a sharp but very short lived hotness. to me anyway.
It's not so much the heat pre-say of the dried peppers, more the heat over the time it lasts.

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2010, 7:29 am

I had my bottom wisdom teeth out with a local and the tops ones out under GA and as soon as it wore off I was bouncing around the house as usual. My mum was like "WTF? You just had surgery!"

Valoyossa
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2010, 9:26 am

My hands are like made of Asbest. I can put them into boiling water.
I'm pretty resistant. I don't take any painkiller pills.
But I don't like to suffer, like some people do. If I feel pain, I'm resistant, but I don't look for pain, I keep away from it.

----
My Industrial Love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBo5K0ZQIEY

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2010, 12:01 pm

I have a very high pain threshold. There was one week that I twisted my ankle on a Monday. I went on the afternoon walking club, with some people from my clubhouse, that Thursday, like nothing happened.

cmate
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Apr 2010, 6:44 pm

Same here, high pain threshold.
Though there are certain things that I have a super sensitivity to - my head for example, it is VERY sensitive. But the rest of my body, I swear you could stab me, or hit me with a hammer. No problem.
Yet, I am very light touch sensitive --- aka romantic touch.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2010, 7:01 pm

auntblabby wrote:
bee33 wrote:

unfortunately, you won't find that marvelous stuff [EMLA] outside of a very few places, like private hospitals where rich patients can demand it. being a member of "group death" for many years, they never had it.
You can ask you regular doc for a prescription and buy it at the pharmacy (I have Medicaid and it was covered). Then you can apply it yourself before going for a blood test. (Of course that only works if you know ahead of time that you'll be going for a blood test.)

The hardest part might be getting the doc to take you seriously, since they kind of roll their eyes...

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2010, 7:22 pm

I had to have blood drawn two months ago and the nurse says, "All done!" I swear I only felt the tournuqutte thingy but never felt the needle. When I was at the doctor's for dizzy spells they checked my blood sugar and after they said, "All done!" I go, "That's it?" and the nurse said yes. I swear I did not feel a thing. I'm getting a hystorectomy to stop periods because I can't cope with them and you still bleed on birth control. I bet I won't need as much pain medication as regualr women. Temple Grandin had one and she says it didn't bother her as much as it was supposed to. I wanted to hold a snake at Petsmart and it bit me. I only knew it did because I saw blood.

I want a tatoo and people keep telling me how bad it will hurt and I just roll my eyes. My best friend says I should get the words "Don't tread on me" with the little rattlesnake.

Last edited by PunkyKat on 25 Apr 2010, 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

budgenator
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Apr 2010, 7:24 pm

High threshold here, I once lit my hand on fire, I looked at it burning the flames were a foot high and I remember thinking "Wow, I'm not screaming like a school girl". Getting peeled like a banana in the hospital now that hurt, Pictures are on the 3rd page of my photos if your into gross out shots.

oliverthered
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2010, 11:51 pm

Thinking about myself and other ASD people I know or have talked to and from what I have read.

It would seem that people with ASD have acute perception of their senses, to a greater or lesser degree. That could be either an over sensitivity, or and under-sensitivity or more neuro-typical.

So for instance,
I have a very low threshold for some pain, such as wind (farts, burps, trapped wind) or pain caused by thought and more anxiety related emotions, perception of behavior in others, patterns.
I have a very high threshold for more general emotions, and perception of emotions in others, many other types of pain (such as broken bones that I don't even realize I've done), all the bumps and cuts I get or standing on nails and that kind of thing I don't notice at all, but some things I do notice and boy do they hurt. When I do have an emotional response I'm usually completely dis-functional maybe for a couple of years afterwards, often my responses aren't even cognitive there completely physical and as such I don't even realize it's an emotional response.

Some things have changed throughout my life, for instance I could eat dried chili and not even notice, now I find it increadably strong. At the Age of 15 I stopped feeling the cold, I've only felt cold on one occasion since then, and I felt unbearably cold.
When we had that heat wave in the UK one year, I didn't really notice anything, but usually I break into a heavy sweat and find things really uncomfortable even at temperatures below 20Deg C.

Some things are more normal, such as my humor response (my humor isn't typical, but my response isn't acute), response to pressure (though I can be very sensitive to touch, only managed to sleep with someone touching me earlier this year, do get something that seems a little like fibromalgia)

I bet the people with low pain thresholds have high thresholds in other areas, I should imagine that near any kind of sensory perception could be affected. (I haven't mentioned sight and sound and my perceptions are a little more mixed and harder to pinpoint and have also changed over the years and sometimes even over the course of a few months)

Other senses include things like knowing where you hand / foot etc.. is with you eyes closed (I actually get some visuals along with that), orientation and balance (I've stepped into a 3 foot deep ditch in the pitch black that I didn't know was there until a few friends came crashing down after me hurting themselves quite badly, I can't remember ever really falling over except on time in a puddle of mud which was apparently quite a sight as everyone knew what was going to happen but I managed to hold it for such a long time), reflex, sense of time, cognitive awareness as well as many other more, sight and sound are themselves composed of many separate senses.