Page 3 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

imbatshitcrazy
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2010, 11:50 am

My favorite Disney film is The Lion King. There are many reasons why I like it, including: the songs, the animation, and Mufassa is voiced by James Earle Jones (the voice of Darth Vader in the Star Wars movies)

jerojas87
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Jul 2010, 12:33 pm

Alice In Wonderland

KaiG
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2010, 2:56 pm

I like Tarzan, Aladdin, Lady and the Tramp, and most recently The Princess and the Frog. I don't count Pixar movies as Disney.

Underachiever
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Jul 2010, 3:13 pm

Pocahontas, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Mulan, and Tarzan - all so nostalgic. :D

tcorrielus
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2010, 9:25 am

The Lion King, Hunchback of Notre Dame, Little Mermaid, Toy Story, Monsters Inc,

imbatshitcrazy
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2010, 10:24 am

I also like the Toy Story series with my favorite being 3

BrandonSP
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2010, 8:18 pm

My favorite Disney movies are Tarzan and The Hunchback of Notre Dame. I also love the music from The Lion King even though the movie itself isn't really Disney's best.

Sadly, given how terrible The Princess and the Frog was, I'm not too optimistic about the future of Disney's animation department.

KaiG
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2010, 9:31 pm

You didn't like The Princess and the Frog? What exactly was wrong with it? I mean, come on, it had an Art Deco song sequence and a Prince who was actually the deuteragonist of the film! It had a Jazz Age-inspired soundtrack, a great (if criminally underused) villain, good characters and character development, and the quality of the animation was second to none. Pause it anywhere and you can really see the effort the animators made in every frame.

BrandonSP
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2010, 10:33 pm

KaiG wrote:
You didn't like The Princess and the Frog? What exactly was wrong with it? I mean, come on, it had an Art Deco song sequence and a Prince who was actually the deuteragonist of the film! It had a Jazz Age-inspired soundtrack, a great (if criminally underused) villain, good characters and character development, and the quality of the animation was second to none. Pause it anywhere and you can really see the effort the animators made in every frame.

First, the songs were almost all unbearable for me to listen to, with the possible exception of the villain song (and even that was mediocre). Secondly, even though it's set in the Jim Crow era, the movie barely acknowledges the presence of racism with one character's vague reference to Tiana's "background". Thirdly, the moral of the movie seemed to be "women need men in their lives to be happy", a sexist and patriarchal message.

I will admit I did like Tiana as a character though.

KaiG
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2010, 10:57 pm

BrandonSP wrote:
First, the songs were almost all unbearable for me to listen to, with the possible exception of the villain song (and even that was mediocre). Secondly, even though it's set in the Jim Crow era, the movie barely acknowledges the presence of racism with one character's vague reference to Tiana's "background". Thirdly, the moral of the movie seemed to be "women need men in their lives to be happy", a sexist and patriarchal message.

I will admit I did like Tiana as a character though.

Your opinion on the soundtrack is just that. Musical taste is subjective, and personally I found a lot to like in TPatF's songs. In fact I think it's one of my favourite Disney soundtracks. I like jazz from the 20s-40s, and find gospel music interesting, so and I found it refreshing. Also, it had Keith David singing. Anyway, you can't use such a subjective thing as proof of a movie being "terrible" unless you're referring to your opinion alone.

I'd also have to disagree about the moral. Tiana didn't specifically need a man, she just needed to stop being a workaholic. Her father had encouraged her to dream big and never to forget to help her dreams along by working hard, but over the years she had perverted his philosophy into "never wish, never have fun, only work is important". It was her main character flaw. Naveen just happened to represent the opposite, a person who only knew how to have fun, and never worked at all. Both characters grew over the course of the film by teaching each other the part of life that they'd been previously rejecting. Nobody said Tiana specifically needed a man, they just encouraged her to be true to her feelings, since by about halfway through the movie she had fallen in love with Naveen but was refusing to admit it.

I'll give you the fact that the movie barely acknowledged racism, but so what? It wasn't the point of the story at all, or even particularly relevant; what exactly do you want from a Disney film? A searing critique upon racial prejudice and an exploration of the racial divide and history of black oppression in the 1920s American South? In a fairy tale about a Frog Prince? Why?

BrandonSP
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2010, 11:16 pm

KaiG wrote:
I'd also have to disagree about the moral. Tiana didn't specifically need a man, she just needed to stop being a workaholic. Her father had encouraged her to dream big and never to forget to help her dreams along by working hard, but over the years she had perverted his philosophy into "never wish, never have fun, only work is important". It was her main character flaw. Naveen just happened to represent the opposite, a person who only knew how to have fun, and never worked at all. Both characters grew over the course of the film by teaching each other the part of life that they'd been previously rejecting. Nobody said Tiana specifically needed a man, they just encouraged her to be true to her feelings, since by about halfway through the movie she had fallen in love with Naveen but was refusing to admit it.

Well, it seemed to me that when they said "what you want is not what you really need", they were referring to Naveen as the thing she "needed".

Quote:
I'll give you the fact that the movie barely acknowledged racism, but so what? It wasn't the point of the story at all, or even particularly relevant; what exactly do you want from a Disney film? A searing critique upon racial prejudice and an exploration of the racial divide and history of black oppression in the 1920s American South? In a fairy tale about a Frog Prince? Why?

They could have at least chosen a setting where blacks did not suffer from racial oppression. Why not, say, precolonial Africa?

tb86
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2010, 10:30 am

Disney Hand Drawn Movie
The Lion King

Disney Pixar
Toy Story Trilogy

Live Action
Pirates Of The Caribbean: The Curse Of The Black Pearl

Non Pixar
Bolt

Helixstein
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2010, 2:36 pm

http://www.disneymovieslist.com/

-Toy Story Trilogy
-Eight Below
-Wizards of Waverly Place : The Movie
-Ratatouille
-Finding Nemo
-Brother Bear
-How to Train your Dragon

Helixstein
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2010, 2:38 pm

http://www.disneymovieslist.com/

-Toy Story Trilogy
-Eight Below
-Wizards of Waverly Place : The Movie
-Ratatouille
-Finding Nemo
-Brother Bear
-How to Train your Dragon

Werecrocodile
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Sep 2010, 4:32 pm

Beauty and the Beast

tb86
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2010, 7:02 pm

How To Train Your Dragon is Dreamworks not Disney.