Does anyone ever want to punch a green peace kid in the face

Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Ardent_Eccentric
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Apr 2010, 7:45 pm

I live in Denver Colorado, and when ever I walk through downtown on the 16th street I have between 3 or 4 green peace representative rudely asking me for 3 minutes of my time, and if I care about the earth or environment and do I want to do something about global worming .

Some reason the way they aggressively approach and interact with people on the street is extraordinarily agitating. And it fires up some innate defense instinct in me that makes me want to punch them in the face!

Their technique of approach seems to be universal to all the green peace representatives in town, and it seems to be quite counter productive to their causes because it really pisses a lot of people off who are approached by them.

Seriously…. now that I have experienced these representatives aggressive approach tactics. I now want to club baby seals, dispose of trash on the street,dump radioactive waste in rivers and est.… just to spite them.

Does anyone feel the same way?

?Anyone can be a monotonous brick in the wall. The real challenge is to be a squirrel. You cant build a brick wall with squirrels, a squirrel will not stay put. Even building a wall with dead squirrels would still be more interesting than a old brick wall

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2010, 7:59 pm

I just don't like pushy people. Period.

nostromo
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2010, 8:26 pm

I don't want to punch them in the face, but I do want to Karate chop them (I don't know Karate but I've seen it).
I care about the environment like most people, but the whole 'We know better than you' thing rubs me the wrong way.

Just annoy them by telling them you want to mine Yellowstone park and drill for oil in Alaska.

Celoneth
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2010, 8:40 pm

I hate people like that - they also tend not to know much about the issue they advocate for but are convinced they're right and holier-than-thou. Do I want to punch them in the face? no.. though I wouldn't mind having medieval torture techniques demonstrated on them.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2010, 8:56 pm

I don't have any use at all for them. I think they're fueled more for a need to be confrontational and obnoxious than a true concern for the environment.
A long time ago I remember them threatening to block U.S.Navy trident subs from leaving the port to conduct missile testing and the Navy had deal with that. I strongly believed then and still to this day that if any of their little boats or rafts got within so many yards of any sub that the captain should be able to legally order them to be shot and never have to get in trouble for it!

sketches
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Apr 2010, 9:00 pm

Similar to others here, I want to punch all pushy loud-mouth people in their face. I wish I had something really mean to tell them, anyway.

I run into + know several people like this and it actually does make me want to lash out when they act so radical. Even people who just state random facts about a cause -- as if it were my business -- I wish I could tell them to shut up (but they're usually coworkers). Grrrr!

You got me fired up again! This is NOT just about Green Peace! !

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2010, 9:17 pm

Look them in the eyes and with all seriousness explain that if they were committed to helping to save the environment they would commit suicide and remove their carbon footprint from "Mother Earth." 8)

Apera
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2010, 9:35 pm

I don't respect people with stupid viewpoints. I also don't respect people that act idiotically, as you depicted. So when people come up to me abruptly and start yakking about something stupid... I certainly won't take it well.

But they do not have me

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2010, 10:09 pm

I've wanted to shake people who try to spread their religion-of-choice that way. It pushes many more people away than it attracts; it's annoying; it's rude; and it gives the whole religion a bad reputation.

Christians are the big offenders around here, but various fringe cults and random "let's borrow christian symbolism and pretend" groups are also doing it.

If you're going to proselytize, do it by actually getting to know the person first. The door-to-door sales style isn't getting anything done, and "my message is important" is no excuse considering just how inefficient rudeness tends to be at getting people to listen.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

PlatedDrake
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2010, 10:17 pm

THey sound like HHGREGG salesmen . . . annoyingly aggressive, yet apparently clueless.

DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2010, 10:19 pm

Callista wrote:
I've wanted to shake people who try to spread their religion-of-choice that way. It pushes many more people away than it attracts; it's annoying; it's rude; and it gives the whole religion a bad reputation.

Christians are the big offenders around here, but various fringe cults and random "let's borrow christian symbolism and pretend" groups are also doing it.

If you're going to proselytize, do it by actually getting to know the person first. The door-to-door sales style isn't getting anything done, and "my message is important" is no excuse considering just how inefficient rudeness tends to be at getting people to listen.

This reminds me of what happened while I was at my grandparents for xmas. A whole bunch of jehovas knockd on his door and he pulled out his shotgun and just told them to leave. This was a few years back and they havent bothered him since.

Yes, I do have a DeviantArt, it is at.... http://demonabyss10.deviantart.com/

pumibel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2010, 10:30 pm

DemonAbyss10 wrote:
Callista wrote:

This reminds me of what happened while I was at my grandparents for xmas. A whole bunch of jehovas knockd on his door and he pulled out his shotgun and just told them to leave. This was a few years back and they havent bothered him since.

I like that approach, especially with JWs. When I was in California a couple of them came to my door and I was in my bikini ready for the beach. They were either distraught by my unclothed state or just too distracted to give me the spiel so they tossed me a Watchtower pamphlet and ran off. I guess handing it to me would allow me to transfer my Babylonian whore cooties to them.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2010, 10:44 pm

I have no patience for pushy people, like that.

justMax
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2010, 10:59 pm

After actually getting to personally know (and form a 7 year relationship with) a Witness, contrasted with the supposedly christian people I've met beforehand, I'm dismayed that more people WITH faith don't celebrate it.

She understands that I'm unable to believe, and while she'd like me to attend with her, she knows my reasons for not going to church.

They're honestly happy to have faith, and want to, as they say, "share the good news", but if you don't want to deal with them, just say you're not interested, and you won't be changing your mind. They'll leave, and put a comment about the address for others saying you don't want them to come by. It's really that simple.

It actually opened my eyes to the difference between faith, and religion, letting me see that my problem is with the religion side of things, if faith helps you, awesome. Don't focus on the differences between this church or that church, just be happy when you find someone else with strong faith, I say.

As for greenpeace kids, I'd ask them if they painted their roof silver, to reflect more of the visible spectrum out into space, reducing the portion their roof emits in the infrared bands, which has much less overall effect than the heat exchange between the atmosphere, and the oceans.

Then I'd ask if they ever wondered how the Earth managed to sit in such a delicate balance for billions of years, when all it apparently takes to screw everything up is a hundred ppm of CO2, though the planet didn't enter a runaway greenhouse state when the atmospheric concentration was over 2000 ppm, over 5 times higher than it currently is.

I'm sure that was totally different though, because we weren't alive then to use fear tactics as an excuse to limit the economic mobility of most of the population of the planet in order to maintain a position of power for those who built their empires on oil.

Elementary_Physics
Toucan
Toucan

24 Apr 2010, 11:02 pm

I am a little green around the edges myself, but I am not pushy and I HATE pushy people.
I am a communist though, So I can imagine how you feel when I hear anti-commie idiocy being shoved down people's throats.

justMax
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2010, 11:05 pm

Fun fact: my woman, who is a witness, is also a communist.

I've been luring her over to the side of anarchism though, the personal ownership/axiom of non-aggression are hard to deny, and the realization that all of anarchist thought flows from those two "moral statements" is a surprise to most people.