Why are school days meant to be the best days of your life?

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2010, 4:26 am

I'm sure you've all heard people saying that school days are the best of your life.

My question is: why? What's meant to be so great about them? I think school is crap, and I spend my time out of school either learning to program or researching the stock market - if anything, I want to mature and get onto those more important things ASAP! I'd much rather be an adult who can make his own choices and do this own thing instead of going to school and worrying about exams all the time.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2010, 4:50 am

I think it's because it's the time when you are still young enough to have your parents look after you and you're still growing and learning. I think it's saying you don't have a lot to worry about when you're still at school age. Just a guess.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2010, 6:07 am

My high school years were the worse years of my life. I'm living the best days of my life, right now, 20 years later. :)

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2010, 6:22 am

School days were not great for me either.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2010, 6:23 am

Because you get to hang around with vicious little animals and have loads of stupid education stuffed in your head against your will and you get to experience boredom and despair to an excessive degree.

I don't know, I always assume people who say this are crazy, or in denial.

gina-ghettoprincess
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2010, 6:37 am

Probably because people who are popular in school reach adulthood and their life starts to go dramatically downhill as they get their reality check. The rest of us are finally free of the torture and go on to prosper.

I can't wait to be out of school. I only have a year and a few months until college, I'm really looking forward to finally being an adult (well, I'll be 16, so not really an adult, more a kind of almost-adult). And my theory is that people who put their energy into being mean won't have passed their GCSEs because they've been too busy picking on others, so they won't get into college so I'll be free of them at last.

Quote:
Because you get to hang around with vicious little animals and have loads of stupid education stuffed in your head against your will and you get to experience boredom and despair to an excessive degree.

Yeah, that's basically my experience of school.

y es como un semestre"

Valoyossa
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2010, 6:53 am

Many people forget all the bad things and want to remember only good (Zeldapsychology, what is it called? I'm sure you know).

We, Aspies/Auties have very good memory and remember all the details. So many of us remember school as horrible.
I have post-school trauma, but now it's not better. Because all is worse organised and Do It Yourself Ask Other People Maybe They Tell You, But If They Don't Like You, Maybe Not. I hate it! I prefer when everything is clear and nobody has to ask.

----
My Industrial Love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBo5K0ZQIEY

Leander
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Apr 2010, 10:33 am

gina-ghettoprincess wrote:
Probably because people who are popular in school reach adulthood and their life starts to go dramatically downhill as they get their reality check. The rest of us are finally free of the torture and go on to prosper.

That makes some sense to me. School was miserable to me too, but university was great. I could practically see that reality check in action in the handful of popular girls who went to the same college as me. Other students were generally more mature, coming from a much wider age range, and suddenly there was no such thing as popular or unpopular. Just adults getting on with their work.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2010, 11:03 am

gina-ghettoprincess wrote:

That sums it up perfectly I think, makes perfect sense.

Avarice
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2010, 2:53 am

If school days are the "best days of my life" the first thing I'm going to do when I get a paycheck is buy some rope and same myself the trouble of going through something even WORSE than school. Or more likely learn how to live an expense free life in a forest, if at all possible.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2010, 7:16 am

The best day of my life, was the day that I've graduated from high school.

MasterChief101
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Apr 2010, 11:19 am

i don't know why they say that but trust me i despise high school.
In school you have bullys the ones who take their anger out on other people
because their life sucks and there's so much stress.
And trust me loads of bad things happen in school.
I would rather be on my own at home and then go to school.
The best day of school will be my graduation.
The best days of your life our after your finished school
and your an adult free to do what you want.

Darkword
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2010, 8:04 pm

It's an NT saying for NTs. Furthermore, its a saying for NTs who don't like responsibility. That's the idea, the days are great because you have nothing that doesn't seem a minor annoyance compared to your future grievances. Your existence is by and large payed for by someone else.

I think its mostly nostalgia(Edit: scrolled up, someone was looking for this word) though, schoolwork seems to be always remembered to be easier then it was.

Avarice
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2010, 2:26 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
The best day of my life, was the day that I've graduated from high school.

And that gives me hope. Thank you.

Asmodeus
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2010, 3:15 am

Because for the majority of people (that have a job, possibly child/ren to care for) it is the time of your life with no responsibilities and the greatest portion of your time available to do whatever takes your fancy.

Owl
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Apr 2010, 6:03 am

I walked out of the School gates on the last day, I didn't look back and vowed NEVER to visit. School was the biggest waste of my life.
I got more education through self teaching. Bunking off lessons became a regular feature with me - I don't regret it. Most of the students were as*holes and many of the guys in my year ended up in prison.
School sucked BIG TIME. School is dead to me. I am undoing everything school gave to me and have educated myself.

However I really enjoyed college - those were good years :D