Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2010, 9:18 am

Noncon4mist wrote:
ToughDiamond:
Never use Deep Heat on itchy skin!

It's for muscle pain only. You will have scratched itchy skin ( "...lots of scrubbing using a firm brush..."), and Deep Heat should never be put on broken skin - even scratched skin will be slightly broken, so will sting and damage the skin (or Burn in your case) even more!

I appreciate your concern, but strangely I've not had any problem with Deep Heat. I do tend to avoid scratching (that only seems to make it worse), and although the hard scrubbing might be expected to put scratches in my skin, for some reason it's been OK. Though I've only used DH cream on the rare occasions when the itching has been really driving me up the wall. It's very much the doomsday option.

fiddlerpianist
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2010, 9:39 am

I get the occasional, persistent, untreatable rash on my legs. However, I've learned that, in my case, it's related to Crohn's Disease. Cortisteroids clears the problem right up.

addison
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Apr 2010, 2:29 pm

i get itchy skin all the time. in cold weather, my back itches. in hot weather, my head itches. the stitches on my socks have to be turned upright so i don't step on them as that bothers me. as a kid the itches was worse as i had to cut off shirt tags as they bothered me. i heard sensitivity of skin can be an aspie trait so i guess that's it.

Noncon4mist
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Apr 2010, 5:22 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
Noncon4mist wrote:
ToughDiamond:

It's for muscle pain only. You will have scratched itchy skin ( "...lots of scrubbing using a firm brush..."), and Deep Heat should never be put on broken skin - even scratched skin will be slightly broken, so will sting and damage the skin (or Burn in your case) even more!

I appreciate your concern, but strangely I've not had any problem with Deep Heat. I do tend to avoid scratching (that only seems to make it worse), and although the hard scrubbing might be expected to put scratches in my skin, for some reason it's been OK. Though I've only used DH cream on the rare occasions when the itching has been really driving me up the wall. It's very much the doomsday option.

I was just concerned because it has some pretty toxic chemicals in it, but occasional use is OK I guess if it works for you.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2010, 4:53 am

Noncon4mist wrote:
ToughDiamond wrote:
Noncon4mist wrote:
ToughDiamond:

I was just concerned because it has some pretty toxic chemicals in it, but occasional use is OK I guess if it works for you.

I thought it was just menthol and aspirin....though like most pharmaceutical potions, it probably contains a lot of other things.

danmac
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2010, 7:39 am

pollen has exploded in a big way
I suffer from allergies all my life(on and off majorly)you can be allergic to many things and most of the time it wount bother you but when the thing that bothers you the most comes around ,then everything bothers you......if it has been 2-3 months now I would strongly conseter mold as the colprete
claritn d 24hr. is what I use and it works well its over the counter but you have to show your id in alot of states
good luck

MommyJones
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2010, 11:55 am

TheDoctor82 wrote:
you want annoying? try having an itch on the inside of your skin; I've had that several times; very uncomfortable.

I think this is the issue with my son. He doesn't scratch, he just says he constantly itches, every day, all day. He was angry with me last night because this is one thing I have not been able to address and he's frustrated. I've tried different soap, moisturizers, anti itch menthol spray, hypoallergenic laundry detergent and fabric softener, going from bath to shower, under armor that is snug and soft so he can't feel his clothes....nothing apparently helps him.

Anyone ever try the skin brushing technique? I saw something on this thread about scrubbing so maybe that's the same premice.

Xanovaria
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Apr 2010, 1:23 pm

I have psoriasis...its like someone cast an itch spell on you.

DanaMarie
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 Aug 2017, 1:33 am

I am itchy all the time. Bug bites .. dry skin .. plants .. just about anything makes me itch. Mosquito bites are like the end of the world. Tags on clothing .. the list goes on. It is an aspie characteristic .. used in the diagnosis

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2017, 11:15 am

One trick is to buy thin medical gloves from a pharmacy or even Walmart. They're about $10 for a pack of a hundred. Just make sure they're not too tight at the wrist and they can comfortably be worn all night long. This will cut down on how distracting itching and scratching is at night, and will also reduce damage to your skin.

And cut your fingernails nice and short and smooth every couple of days.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2017, 11:34 am

I know that this is an old thread but I have severe 24/7 itching since late November 2016. I also have chronic hives. I was recently diagnosed with Chronic Idiopathic Urticaria and prescribed huge doses of antihistamines(Doxepin 25mg x 10 a day) 50mg benadryl x 4 a day, as well as 4.25mg Low Dose Naltrexone(this drug helps the most with itching) and the biologic drug Xolair 300mg injections once every 4 weeks. Xolair blocks immunoglobulin E and is supposed to put this condition into remission.

The itching is so bad that I only shower once every 4 to 5 days. Stopped using shampoo altogether. The itching feels like a perpetual case of the chicken pocks. Without any meds I would not only itch uncontrollably but it also feels painful, like I am being stung by a swarm of bees nonstop.

http://www.ciuandyou.com/

Chronic Idiopathic Urticaria affects 0.5 to 1% of the population.

A study showing the efficacy in LDN's use for the treatment of pruritus(itching)

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar ... 2299800486

NeilM
Toucan
Toucan

15 Aug 2017, 2:03 pm

I broke out in an itchy rash pretty much all over in my early fifties. I suffered with it for about two years til in desperation I went on my own elimination diet. I stopped eating eggs, wheat, peanuts, a few other things. Mercifully it cleared up over several weeks and then adding them back one at a time revealed an egg allergy. After I had eaten eggs all my life with no problem, I suddenly became allergic to them. Oh, I also found out that if I do eat an egg, it takes two weeks for the rash/itchiness to appear. So if you are testing for food allergies, allow at least that long.

Similarly about 5 years ago a rash began around my ankles. I had been taking extra vitamin E to improve my skin but it turned out I am allergic to (supplemental and thus synthetic) vitamin E! Some research online turned up a little info on the fact that people can indeed be allergic to different vitamin supplements. I of course discontinued the vit E but it left scarring on my ankles which has pretty much gone away now.

Some food for thought, no pun intended really, and possibly some leads to pursue.

AQ = 38 MBTI = ISTJ Gender = Non-binary
I strive not to perseverate. You can PM me for more info.

This_Amoeba
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2017, 2:17 pm

I have a similar problem that I ended up self diagnosing as psoriasis. Getting sunburned made it go away. I can feel it starting to come back though because I'm starting to itch again and I haven't been in the sun for a while. I suspect I might have a food allergy that causes it because I also have irritable bowels, especially after eating bread type foods