Page 3 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Kuramu
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 May 2010, 10:31 pm

I always thought Clam from Camp Lazlo had Aspergers. In the show, it's shown that he is a genius: He's able to paint famous paintings, play a Beethoven piece on a bottle, put a 1,000 piece puzzle back together in ten seconds, and make a fully-functional log cart (the worked as a bike, mind you). In spite of all of this, Clam can only speak in fragments, and he often repeats things others already have said.
While he doesn't have one focus that stays throughout the entire series, there was one episode ("Clam The Outlaw") which showed that he has an extreme love for pancakes - to the point where, when the scoutmaster takes the last pancake at breakfast, Clam gets extremely angry, flips over the breakfast onto the scoutmaster's head, and runs away to become an outlaw.

Xenu
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2010, 11:12 pm

loko wrote:
no degrassi love?

connor was diagnosed with asperger's last season, there was a whole episode about it. the shep wanted to kick him out of school. thats a bad shep.

I also always felt Terri had it before she left the show.

willaful
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2010, 12:58 am

I just finished the most recent book in the "In Death" series and I could make a good case for Eve Dallas.

Klint
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2010, 10:35 am

If you take away his moments of uncontrollable vigilante killings, Dexter would seem like a pretty average Aspie. :)

Darkword
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2010, 11:04 am

Jesus Christ of Nazareth.

Oh I went there.

Xenu
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2010, 3:52 pm

Darkword wrote:

Oh I went there.

How about God as well? A lot of characters from THE NUMBER ONE FICTION BESTSELLER OF ALL TIME! ALL TIME! seemed to be slightly aspieish lol

RedTatsu

19 May 2010, 3:03 pm

I sort of dislike how everyone seems to assume that if a character is smart, socially awkward, or obsessive then s/he MUST be aspie. It's a combination of traits, and even then a character might not seem aspie (for example, Dr. Horrible seems NT to me).

Characters who, to me, really DO seem to have AS or autism include:

Dib, from Invader Zim: Extremely socially awkward, very smart but obsessive, does not seem to understand when some behaviors are acceptable, and has a tendency to rant. Probably AS.

Chrona, from Soul Eater: VERY socially awkward, says non-sequiters that make sense to hir, little eye contact, and strange body movement.
Could have high to mid-functioning autism (Keep in mind that e also used to be insane and depressed, but e got a little bit better. Hir autistic traits actually became more obvious once e made some friends.)

Ferb Fletcher, from Phineas and Ferb: Quiet, not very social, savant skills in engineering, and he never makes eye-contact. Probably HFA.

So those are some of the characters who I think are on the spectrum.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2010, 3:21 pm

Willard wrote:
There's no way in Hell that Dude is not an Aspie. :wink:

House is not an Aspie or Autie. He is much closer to the antisocial spectrum than the asocial spectrum.

Same with Dexter. He does not want a family to be loved, he want one to "fit in" so he does not stand out. Anyway, the characterisation of Dexter a.k.a. "the Psychopat" is badly done.

Same goes for all characters, writers usually ad-lib with reality.

Anyway, my contribution to the thread:

Lars from "Lars and the real girl"
- Lives alone, doesnt seem to be disturbed by it, doesnt feel the need to socialize.
- Socially inept, does not really know how to talk to the girl he is interested in.
- Dislikes touch - he is even oversensitive to it and go in therapy for it.

and the biggest giveaways:
- CLEARLY shows too much affection to a *thing* - which the movie is about.

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2010, 7:23 am

Xenu wrote:
Darkword wrote:

Oh I went there.

How about God as well? A lot of characters from THE NUMBER ONE FICTION BESTSELLER OF ALL TIME! ALL TIME! seemed to be slightly aspieish lol

Bipolar.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2010, 7:53 am

soulice wrote:

Nothing in this definition is consistent with autism. Dexter is a sociopath, who hunts and kills people for a hobby, and one of my favourite shows so I know ;)
The only similarity is his inability to form strong relationships or understand the subtle nature of society, which more likely stems from his deep childhood trauma and fear of being discovered.

Dexter takes out only evil-doers who have escaped the Law and who activities fit in with Harry's rules.

Dexter is one of my favorite characters, a serial killer who benefits society. Think of Dex as a cleanup man.

ruveyn

Delirium
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2010, 8:47 am

Darkword wrote:

Oh I went there.

Nah, his people skills were pretty impressive.

God? Seriously? He's not even human, so judging him by human standards is a bit odd, to say the least.

Oh, and Dexter is a sociopath, not ASD.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2022, 8:27 am

Tommy Westphall from St. Elsewhere 1980s Medical Drama.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2022, 5:06 pm

Barry Egan (played very well by Adam Sandler) from Punch-Drunk Love

Chris Wolf (Ben Affleck in IMO, one of his best performances) from The Accountant

Diamondisis
Toucan
Toucan

31 Oct 2022, 10:22 am

Overkill wrote:
Peter Parker (spiderman) or Clark Kent perhaps? Well, Clark Kent is technically supposed to be an act to hide the fact that he is Superman, but there are other interpretations. But Peter parker was not an act so he could technically be on the spectrum.

I don't think most versions of Peter Parker do but definitely the one played by Tom Holland I could see

Diamondisis
Toucan
Toucan

31 Oct 2022, 10:23 am

PunkyKat wrote:
Cale Tucker and Sam Tucker from Titan A.E., Serena/Usagi from Sailor Moon, Tommy's dad from Rugrats, Ramona from the Beverly Cleary series, Fudge from the Judy Bloom series, Sailor Mercury from Sailor Moon, Dib, Gaz, Zim and Professor Membrane from Invader Zim, Shroder from the Peanuts, Fritz and Lily from Timothy Goes to School, Buster, D.W. and "Brain" from Arthur all have traits. D.W. and Buster strike seem more AS to me than Carl does.

I agree I think Carl seemed profoundly Autistic In My Opinion

Sigbold
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2022, 12:52 am

Reed Richards (Marvel) :

And yeah, it is accompanied with that cringy message about working on a cure.

Black Manta (DC)