Poll:Do any of these traits apply to your personality?

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Do any of these traits apply to you ?
Most of these traits apply to me 46%  46%  [ 27 ]
Some of these traits apply to me 51%  51%  [ 30 ]
None of these traits apply to me 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 59

Michael_Stuart
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2010, 1:11 am

1. Autistic People Rarely Lie
I lie all the time. Not in a Machiavellian don't-say-anything-that's-not-necessary kind of way, but if it benefits me and doesn't negatively affect someone else I'll lie to save myself.

2. People on the Autism Spectrum Live in the Moment
Sometimes yes, sometimes no. I have moments of contemplation and observation, but these are rare. For the most part, I seem to be about as attentive as others.

3. People with Autism Rarely Judge Others
I judge people often. Not on whether they're rich or fat, because these are fairly relative and not really judgments at all. But I categorize people according to their intelligence certainly, and sometimes even according to whether or not they're good people.

4. Autistic People are Passionate
I'm very passionate about certain things, yes. I'm not sure if I would say it's to an abnormal degree, though.

5. People with Autism Are Not Tied to Social Expectations
Very true. If someone doesn't like what I do (but isn't actually hurt by it), then that's their problem and not mine.

6. People with Autism Have Terrific Memories
My memory is absolutely awful. I can remember very little of my experiences or instructions I am given. I can barely conjure up the face of people I know if I haven't recently seen them. However, I'm good at retaining academic knowledge.

7. Autistic People Are Less Materialistic
I'm not very materialistic, no. I generally have a "make do with what you got" mindset. I often don't see the necessity of new technologies like touch-screens (which isn't really a new technology, but newly popularized) because regular screens were working just fine. I don't care about brand names at all, because they have no value to me.

8. Autistic People Play Fewer Head Games
Indeed, no head games here.

9. Autistic People Have Fewer Hidden Agendas
Well uh... I don't generally elaborate on what it is I want. But I don't usually have a hidden agenda.

Plqx
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

27 Apr 2010, 1:48 am

1. Interesting this. I once got a huge "dishonesty" score on a personality test because I put that I didn't tell lies... This one does hold true to me.
2. DEFINATELY true.
3. Questionable. I find that I do tend to judge others a lot, although probably not in the same way as most do. Like I tend to avoid people that do certain things - but that's more based on me not wanting to be around people who do those things than because of meaningless judgements. But everyone judges people to a certain extent.
4. Very true, in more ways than one. Though most around me wouldn't believe it.
5. Actually in a way I think we are. But the social expectations we are tied to are the ones that NTs take for granted. Like the social expectation to not start stimming like mad without warning when in a public place...
6. True in some respects but not in others. Names is one example that is NOT the case.
7. Definately true. Especially with regards to brand names. What's the point in spending an extra £20 on what is essentially the same product just because of the name of the company that made it?
8. I didn't even understand what was going on in the description so I suppose it must be true.
9. DEFINATELY true.

LoveMoney
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Apr 2010, 10:23 am

tolu wrote:
1. Autistic People Rarely Lie
We all claim to value the truth, but almost all of us tell little white lies. All, that is, except people on the autism spectrum. To them, truth is truth -- and a good word from a person on the spectrum is the real deal.

2. People on the Autism Spectrum Live in the Moment
How often do typical people fail to notice what's in front of their eyes because they're distracted by social cues or random chitchat? People on the autism spectrum truely attend to the sensory input that surrounds them. Many have achieved the ideal of mindfulness.

3. People with Autism Rarely Judge Others
Who's fatter? Richer? Smarter? For people on the autism spectrum, these distinctions hold much less importance than for typical folks. In fact, people on the spectrum often see through such surface appearances to discover the real person.

4. Autistic People are Passionate
Of course, not all autistic people are alike. But many are truly passionate about the things, ideas and people in their lives. How many "typical" people can say the same?

5. People with Autism Are Not Tied to Social Expectations
If you've ever bought a car, played a game or joined a club to fit in, you know how hard it is to be true to yourself. But for people with autism, social expectations can be honestly irrelevant. What matters is true liking, interest and passion -- not keeping up with the latest social demands.

6. People with Autism Have Terrific Memories
How often do typical people forget directions, or fail to take note of colors, names, and other details? People on the autism spectrum are often much more tuned in to details. They may have a much better memory than their typical peers for all kind of critical details.

7. Autistic People Are Less Materialistic
Of course, this is not universally true -- but in general, people with autism are far less concerned with outward appearance than their typical peers. As a result, they worry less about brand names, hairstyles and other expensive but unimportant externals than most people do.

8. Autistic People Play Fewer Head Games
Who was that woman, and why were you looking at her? I know I TOLD you I didn't mind if you went out, but why did you believe me? Most autistic people don't play games like these -- and they assume that you won't either. It's a refreshing and wonderful change from the Peyton Place emotional roller coaster that mars too many typical relationships!

9. Autistic People Have Fewer Hidden Agendas
Most of the time, if a person on the autism spectrum tells you what he wants -- he is telling you what he wants. No need to beat around the bush, second guess, and hope you're reading between the lines!

Do any of these trait apply to you please answer!! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

1: I lie alot. Even when I lie now. I still don't lie.
2: Not really I live in the future. I don't mind the present nor the past.
3: Damn, total contrast. I judge faster then the average joe. But I'm open minded.
4: Sometimes yes.
5: Not true for me at all.
6: I have a good memory, but not for details.
7: I love money, Its the only reason I live to get higher and richer.
8: Dont know.
9: Not really, my whole life is a hidden agenda. I only care about my family, all the rest is faked.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2010, 11:00 am

That list seems to fit me very well, apart from the terrific memory - I sometimes can recall stuff in fantastic detail, but my memory isn't generally good.

But there's a potential for bias here. That list of traits is very complimentary, and would have a very high Barnum effect. Or would NTs see those things as traits they'd be ashamed of?

Anyway, it's refreshing to see Aspie qualities in a good light, instead of the usual "poor little sods can't cope with the real world." It reminded me of why I don't want a cure.