Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

mu_girl05
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Apr 2010, 1:32 pm

My son was recently diagnosed with Aspergers. His teachers and I have noticed that he has has really good days and then other days where he just doesn't seem to be there. Like nothing we say or do sinks in. Is this typical of kids with Aspergers? I can usually tell within the first 15 minutes of his being awake what type of day he is going to have. I try to inform his teachers so we can all try to be proactive to prevent meltdowns and other problems. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to "get through" to him when he is having one of thoes days?

Hethera
Raven
Raven

28 Apr 2010, 12:52 am

No advice, really, just wanted to let you know that my son (age 3) is the same way. Some days, maybe 30 to 50 percent, just start off on a bad foot and stay that way. I just try to make the day as meltdown-trigger-free as I can and obviously don't try to introduce anything new on those days, but I don't really have any advice beyond what you're already doing. However, many people on here are really experienced (as either parents or spectrumites) and have a lot of insight! If there's a secret to getting through to kids on an off-day, someone here has it. :wink:

liloleme
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2010, 1:01 am

Usually its due to some sensory issue or anxiety. Changes in schedule or maybe something as simple as a bump in his sock or not enough sleep or the wrong kind of food. When you have autism/aspergers you dont have "filters" so everything is a bit more harsh. Try to get him to express how he feels, if he doesnt want to talk sometimes drawing pictures or pec pictures or even typing it out is helpful. When I or my kids have days like that I tell my husband that we are having an "autistic day", even though everyday is its just my way to have some humor about it.

Bombaloo
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2010, 10:45 am

I know I keep quoting our OT but he is sooo good! When our son is having a day like this, the OT calls it being "disregulated". He has given us several "sensory diet" activities that are designed to try to get our son back on track. What works for one child may not work for others depending upon your kiddo's particular sensory needs. Our son is a sensory seeker so giving him lots of hugs, rocking, using the Willbarger approach (brushing & joint compression) , wearing the compression vest, pushing or pulling heavy objects, being squished with an excercise ball or wrapped up in a blanket all help. Of course if your child avoids such sensory input, none of this would be good. For our sensory seeker, doing a few or several of these activites seems to help him get back on track though some days, nothing helps :?