Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Apr 2010, 3:13 pm

Curious.

Descartes30
Toucan
Toucan

27 Apr 2010, 3:15 pm

I consider myself a realist. Both pessimism and optimism can be a bad thing depending on the situation. So I try to stay grounded.

Horus
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2010, 3:23 pm

I voted pessimist.

Like alot of so-called pessimists....I simply consider myself a realist. I just fail to see how reality is all that pleasant. Sure it is for some people....but for billions who've walked this earth...umm...not quite.

I think true pessimists are relatively rare. Optimists often label anyone who merely mentions an unpleasant reality as a "pessimist".

conan
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2010, 3:28 pm

it totally depends on the situation. i can go from feeling invincible to feeling worthless very easily. i think i read somewhere that autistics tend to not be able to keep the idea of the future in their mind so if things are crap at the time then it is difficult to see past that. i used to be like that but i'm getting better at realising i do have a reason to be.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2010, 3:33 pm

I'm a realist, because no matter what the situation is, I like to keep it real.

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2010, 3:35 pm

Like most other people here, for me it depends on the situation.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2010, 4:01 pm

Mostly optimistic with periods at the other pole.

ursaminor
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2010, 4:04 pm

Mostly pessimistic, although it seems life just turns out this way.

Poke
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2010, 4:20 pm

Here's a tip for those of you who skipped Philosophy 101: realism is pessimism. :wink:

FireBird
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2010, 5:04 pm

I am mostly a pessimist but I like to call myself a realist. I always see the reality of a situation and 99% of the time it is overwhelmingly negative. I discovered recently the most beautiful term in the English language. It's called Depressive Realism. It basically states that people who suffer from mild to moderate depression have more realistic views of the world. They don't sit there and say "everythings great" when the reality is the opposite. People always read my mind because several of the topics on this forum is exactly what has been on my mind. Everything in the universe is connected in ways no human can imagine. Everything is weird here.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2010, 5:05 pm

You could say I'm a pessimist as I tend to think of the worst case scenario.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2010, 5:14 pm

FireBird wrote:
Everything in the universe is connected in ways no human can imagine. Everything is weird here.

That's why I'm an optimist.

Horus
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2010, 5:19 pm

FireBird wrote:
I am mostly a pessimist but I like to call myself a realist. I always see the reality of a situation and 99% of the time it is overwhelmingly negative. I discovered recently the most beautiful term in the English language. It's called Depressive Realism. It basically states that people who suffer from mild to moderate depression have more realistic views of the world. They don't sit there and say "everythings great" when the reality is the opposite. People always read my mind because several of the topics on this forum is exactly what has been on my mind. Everything in the universe is connected in ways no human can imagine. Everything is weird here.

I think the concept of depressive realism is valid. Considering i'm profoundly depressed though, i'm probably biased towards the pessimistic side.

*shrugs*

"Don't worry about a thing...because NOTHING is going to be alright"

My late great-grandmother

"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds and the pessimist fears this is true".

James Branch Cabell

"The nice thing about being a pessimist is that you're constantly either being proved right or pleasantly surprised".

George Will

Michhsta
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2010, 5:19 pm

Pessimist, cynic and misanthropist.......

But get me in a forest with the local wildlife or pondering the ways of the Universe, and I am a different person.

I am trying to become more "balanced" and people friendly...... :wink:

Mics

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2010, 5:22 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llLY9VUKpRM[/youtube]

Noncon4mist
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Apr 2010, 5:43 pm

Thank you Moog for that video. Optimists really do live longer and have more fun.

I used to be a pessimist and thought I was born unlucky, until I was diagnosed and then discovered the Law of Attraction; that what you think about you bring about - (See the psychic thread - it's NO coincidence!)

You really can make your own luck. Instead of focusing on what you don't have / can't do, focus on what you do have / can do.

If people are really honest, there will be a long list of resources open to them, but they may have to think about it for some time, as they're programed to overlook them.

A good way to start would be to stop watching the News!

Inducing Fear is the biggest factor in boosting ratings for TV shows, which is why 'good news' stories are only used if they're amazing rescues that defied all odds, for example.

It's why newspapers overuse the phrase "Taxpayer's money" to induce anger and fear in their readers.

Watch comedy shows. Have your friends round. Pursue a hobby, but don't be sheeple following the rest of the world, blaming others or the government for your situation.

We all have the life we have because of how we have dealt with fortune and adversity in the past. If you went to the school of hard knocks (and boy did I?) discovering that you CAN change your situation if you put your mind to it, is the best thing you'll ever learn.

Sorry for sounding preachy, but unless you believe in reincarnation, we only have one life. Make the most of it!