who on WP finds city life too complicated?

Page 3 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

who on WP finds big-city life too complicated?
i take to big-city complexity like a duck takes to water 31%  31%  [ 8 ]
i barely tolerate it but i do function adequately in the big city 42%  42%  [ 11 ]
i had to flee the big city for the countryside long ago 8%  8%  [ 2 ]
the city life totally repelled me from the beginning 19%  19%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 26

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2010, 5:14 am

Spazzergasm wrote:
It's fine, if a bit overhelming, as long as you don't use a car.

Try living in my city. :P

looks neat to me :)
i bet all those pedestrians are hellafit.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2010, 5:19 am

Cuterebra wrote:
...your neighbors still won't expect anything more than a polite nod when you pass each other in the hall. If you tried to get away with that in a small town, people would think you were the next Unabomber and start lighting torches.

in my small town, people just walk past each other unless they know you. my little town has all the bad traits of NYC AND all the bad traits of the proverbial wide spot in the road. both antisocial and backwoods. and if you don't look like a typical redneck, then watch out.

Spazzergasm
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2010, 8:27 am

What's backwoods?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2010, 2:26 am

Spazzergasm wrote:
What's backwoods?

like rural on steroids. living so far in the woods that you hear no traffic noises from the nearest highway which is at least 20 miles away as the crow flies. backwoods where you're lucky if there's a general store 10 miles away. backwoods where weird and scary people tend to end up. "deliverance"-land. [google the movie "deliverance"]

Spazzergasm
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2010, 9:25 am

auntblabby wrote:
Spazzergasm wrote:
What's backwoods?

like rural on steroids. living so far in the woods that you hear no traffic noises from the nearest highway which is at least 20 miles away as the crow flies. backwoods where you're lucky if there's a general store 10 miles away. backwoods where weird and scary people tend to end up. "deliverance"-land. [google the movie "deliverance"]

Oohh, yeah. I stayed at my friend's house in Kansas when I visited America last summer. That was definitely backwoods. Going to the store was an event for them. It actually seemed rather terrible. I can't decide what sort of place I want to live when I move out.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2010, 1:35 pm

All I need to do, is win the lottery. :)

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2010, 1:46 pm

Not really, I prefer living in the city because I'm near shops and can keep in regular contact with friends and family, so in a way it's less complicated.
But I do like to fantasize about living in an indigenous tribe in a rain forest and living that simple life. If I had the chance to live with the tribes in papa new guinea that live in them tree houses for a month I would go.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2010, 1:48 pm

MONKEY wrote:
But I do like to fantasize about living in an indigenous tribe in a rain forest and living that simple life. If I had the chance to live with the tribes in papa new guinea that live in them tree houses for a month I would go.

the tree houses would be fun as long as there was running hot and cold water, screens on windows to keep the damned insects out, and high-speed internet service. oh yes, and electricity, too, to power the wall sockets and air conditioning. :lol:

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2010, 4:50 pm

auntblabby wrote:
i would not mind the big city if people were nicer to country bumpkins.

Once, I went to mall for a new cell phone /contract, and the young wipper snapper was moved to fill in temporarily from the city.
The conversation steered to the " the sticks" as he quered my address.
In short , I told him I have a well ,and that's where we get water.
He said " Oh man, what do you do in the winter when you have to crank the bucket up" . :lmao:
Sometimes in a conversation the conversant will say something like " You know, when you drive your tractor" alluding to something in a illustration. :lol: Maybe these ones watched too many Green Acres episodes on " Nick at Nights"

auntblabby wrote:
i would not mind deliverance-ville if the people were nicer in general. niceness is the key.

Its generally a 'Jim Dandy' if you don't stick out; notice -stick out.
Like having exactly the same ethics .

Dilbert
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2010, 4:56 pm

Oh yes, city life. The crowds, the traffic lights, strange people approaching me asking for my money or my vote, the cars, the noise, the light polution (stars cannot be seen at night where I live).

On the other hand, if I wanted a grilled white rhino with a side of shark caviar at 2 AM on Sunday, there's probably a restaurant open for that. :D

It is a cost-vs-benefit thing. The biggest benefit to city living is JOBS. Jobs are here and they pay well. Another benefits are amenities, and more open minded and wordly people as opposed to rural rednecks. AS people especially fit much better in the cities.

I'd like a condo downtown to live in 5 days a week, and a beach house for the weekends. :)

Spazzergasm
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2010, 5:23 pm

Dilbert wrote:
On the other hand, if I wanted a grilled white rhino with a side of shark caviar at 2 AM on Sunday, there's probably a restaurant open for that. :D
)

shark caviar? :eew:

Fancy that.

spooky13
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 May 2010, 7:51 pm

auntblabby wrote:
the tree houses would be fun as long as there was running hot and cold water, screens on windows to keep the damned insects out, and high-speed internet service. oh yes, and electricity, too, to power the wall sockets and air conditioning. :lol:

Perfect! :lol:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2010, 11:38 pm

Mdyar wrote:
Its generally a 'Jim Dandy' if you don't stick out; notice -stick out. Like having exactly the same ethics .

"stick out" - haha :lol:
therein lies the problem. i don't like mean people, and i am surrounded by them. i cannot become like them even if i tried. i thought i was able to leave the meanies behind when i left [un]civil service, but i just went from the frying pan into the fire.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2010, 11:38 pm

Mdyar wrote:
Its generally a 'Jim Dandy' if you don't stick out; notice -stick out. Like having exactly the same ethics .

"stick out" - haha :lol:
therein lies the problem. i don't like mean people, and i am surrounded by them. i cannot become like them even if i tried. i thought i was able to leave the meanies behind when i left [un]civil service, but i just went from the frying pan into the fire.