who on WP finds city life too complicated?

Page 1 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next


who on WP finds big-city life too complicated?
i take to big-city complexity like a duck takes to water 31%  31%  [ 8 ]
i barely tolerate it but i do function adequately in the big city 42%  42%  [ 11 ]
i had to flee the big city for the countryside long ago 8%  8%  [ 2 ]
the city life totally repelled me from the beginning 19%  19%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 26

Taupey
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Feb 2010
Age: 58
Gender: Female
Posts: 7,168
Location: Somewhere between juvenile and senile.

28 Apr 2010, 11:36 pm

I'm currently living in a city on the Chesapeake Bay. I would rather live in a rural area on the Chesapeake Bay. I need/want peace and space. But at the same time I want to live close enough to DC and Baltimore so I can enjoy museums, libraries and cultural events. Maryland's Eastern Shore is looking so nice right now. :)



auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 94,702
Location: the island of defective toy santas

29 Apr 2010, 1:12 am

auntblabby wrote:
what poll option would you have liked?


Aimless wrote:
uhm...how about live in the city but it's not that big and I'd live in the country if I could. :wink:


well, to me, any spot more involved than a wide spot in the road qualifies as a "big city."



auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 94,702
Location: the island of defective toy santas

29 Apr 2010, 1:15 am

bully_on_speed wrote:
i love the city. alot of people are intemidated by the amout of people but they dont mind you at all they are like animals walking in a field. they might look at you for a second then go back to what they were doing. i live in a small town now, one of those places everyone knows you and stops to say hi and chit chat


sounds like you live in a nice place. not "deliverance-land."



auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 94,702
Location: the island of defective toy santas

29 Apr 2010, 1:26 am

Descartes wrote:
The Christmasy village of Leavenworth, WA fascinates me.


my older sister visits this picture postcard town every winter. too damned cold for me. if i had a spacesuit i'd visit the place so i wouldn't turn into an icicle. pretty though. btw the town is a fake- 48 years ago it remade itself into a faux-bavarian tourist trap.
Leavenworth, Washington



Metal_Man
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 3 Feb 2007
Age: 52
Gender: Male
Posts: 895
Location: The Gates of Babylon

29 Apr 2010, 1:32 am

I prefer the city because the people are more accepting of Aspies. I grew up in a rural area and hated every minute of it.


_________________
Can't get it right, no matter what I do, guess I'll just be me and keep [email protected]#$%G up for you!
It goes on and on and on, it's Heaven and Hell! Ronnie James Dio - He was simply the greatest R.I.P.


iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 31 Jul 2007
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 25,091
Location: 0.5 Galactic radius

29 Apr 2010, 3:12 am

I have grown up in cities, suburbs actually, and I don't like it so much with all the paranoid people and such, but it's not completely intolerable. I would prefer the countryside though, but that I only see in passing between cities whenever there is an event like a vacation.



Keeno
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Mar 2006
Age: 45
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,875
Location: Earth

29 Apr 2010, 1:23 pm

The sort of environment that's best for me probably is within a city, particularly a historic one with a university tradition seems to have that type of environment.



CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Jul 2004
Age: 45
Gender: Male
Posts: 102,006
Location: Hanging out with my fellow Sweet Peas at Stalag 13

29 Apr 2010, 10:25 pm

After thinking about it, for a little more than a day, I think that I would like to live by the sea side.


_________________
Schultz

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26&start=645


Cuterebra
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 20 Feb 2010
Age: 41
Gender: Female
Posts: 361

29 Apr 2010, 11:41 pm

bully_on_speed wrote:
i love the city. alot of people are intemidated by the amout of people but they dont mind you at all they are like animals walking in a field. they might look at you for a second then go back to what they were doing. i live in a small town now, one of those places everyone knows you and stops to say hi and chit chat


I left a rural small town environment for that very reason--in the city, you can be anonymous.



auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 94,702
Location: the island of defective toy santas

30 Apr 2010, 12:03 am

Cuterebra wrote:
bully_on_speed wrote:
i love the city. alot of people are intemidated by the amout of people but they dont mind you at all they are like animals walking in a field. they might look at you for a second then go back to what they were doing. i live in a small town now, one of those places everyone knows you and stops to say hi and chit chat


I left a rural small town environment for that very reason--in the city, you can be anonymous.


i would not mind the big city if people were nicer to country bumpkins. i would not mind deliverance-ville if the people were nicer in general. niceness is the key.



crocus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Age: 58
Gender: Female
Posts: 352
Location: Canada

30 Apr 2010, 2:18 am

I voted for, "i barely tolerate it but i do function adequately in the big city "

I live in a large capital city that's spread geographically over a wide area and the center of town is historic and very congested. The mass transit system is barely adequate and most people drive, so there is one major headache you have with big city living.

I live in the suburbs right now. It's not my first choice and not a place I really like to be, if I had my druthers. But, then there are worse places and I've been to a few of them. I hate the monotony, mind-numbing lack of spirit and the fact you have to drive everywhere in suburbia.

Many of the things you listed about big cities are definite drawbacks. I don't like any of the things you mentioned either. I do like the variety and having entertainment close-by. I can get almost any kind of ethnic food and see shows without making an overnight trip about it. I do love the energy and architecture of nice big cities. A city at night has always been one of my favourite scenes - kind of like an Edward Hopper painting :) There's also tons of parks and recreation to choose from.

I've lived in a small town and it wasn't for me. This is a generalization, but I found small town correlated with a lot of small mindedness as well - basically a redneck hick mentality that I can't stomach. It's also boring as all get out, unless going to the local donut shop and hanging out in the parking lot with your stereo blasting is your idea of excitement. bleh.

I couldn't live in a huge metropolitan city. The traffic alone and the rudeness would drive me over the edge.

My ideal place is on water. I could never be landlocked on the prairies or desert somewhere. I've always lived close by water. I'd love a place out in the sticks completely isolated from all so-called civilization, because my soul needs that. I'd also need to be in a city time and again though to get my excitement fix.



auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 94,702
Location: the island of defective toy santas

30 Apr 2010, 3:55 am

crocus wrote:
I'd love a place out in the sticks completely isolated from all so-called civilization, because my soul needs that. I'd also need to be in a city time and again though to get my excitement fix.


too bad there can't be a happy medium somewhere. the problem with the sticks is that you have to drive forever to get supplies for living. the sticks are best for people who are totally "off the grid" but for everybody else it is a recipe for high mileage accumulation on cars. ocean shores/pacific beach, washington are both lovely oceanfront communities but oh so far from civilization that one has to drive an hour to get to the closest town [aberdeen/hoquium].



Cuterebra
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 20 Feb 2010
Age: 41
Gender: Female
Posts: 361

30 Apr 2010, 7:44 am

auntblabby wrote:
Cuterebra wrote:
bully_on_speed wrote:
i love the city. alot of people are intemidated by the amout of people but they dont mind you at all they are like animals walking in a field. they might look at you for a second then go back to what they were doing. i live in a small town now, one of those places everyone knows you and stops to say hi and chit chat


I left a rural small town environment for that very reason--in the city, you can be anonymous.


i would not mind the big city if people were nicer to country bumpkins. i would not mind deliverance-ville if the people were nicer in general. niceness is the key.


In my experience, nice people are hard to find no matter where you go. But at least in the city, once you find one nice person it generally opens up a network of them since nice people seem to stick together.

It's funny, my parents (I suspect my dad is an Aspie and my mother has many traits herself) left the city/suburbs for the solitude of the country. I found the small town life where everyone knows everyone else to be stifling because every time I left the house I was forced to make small talk with whomever I ran into. In big cities, people mind their own business. You can live in an apartment building for years and your neighbors still won't expect anything more than a polite nod when you pass each other in the hall. If you tried to get away with that in a small town, people would think you were the next Unabomber and start lighting torches.



Taupey
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Feb 2010
Age: 58
Gender: Female
Posts: 7,168
Location: Somewhere between juvenile and senile.

30 Apr 2010, 9:10 am

Keeno wrote:
The sort of environment that's best for me probably is within a city, particularly a historic one with a university tradition seems to have that type of environment.


Historical districts are wonderful places to live. I've lived in two, one of which had a university tradition. If I were to decided to live in a city permanently, I would choose to live in one with a university tradition as well.



crocus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Age: 58
Gender: Female
Posts: 352
Location: Canada

30 Apr 2010, 9:39 am

auntblabby wrote:
crocus wrote:
I'd love a place out in the sticks completely isolated from all so-called civilization, because my soul needs that. I'd also need to be in a city time and again though to get my excitement fix.


too bad there can't be a happy medium somewhere. the problem with the sticks is that you have to drive forever to get supplies for living. the sticks are best for people who are totally "off the grid" but for everybody else it is a recipe for high mileage accumulation on cars. ocean shores/pacific beach, washington are both lovely oceanfront communities but oh so far from civilization that one has to drive an hour to get to the closest town [aberdeen/hoquium].


Ah yes, the ever-elusive happy medium. When I find it, I will let you know. With regards to long drives for supplies, I actually don't mind that. It depends on how long the drive is of course. An hour wouldn't bother me in the least. One would merely have to be a good planner to always be stocked up, thus the need for supply jaunts would be less frequent.

My only issue with living a ways out would be having to earn a living at the same time. For what I do, I need to go where the people are and this would entail long drives every day. I wouldn't mind that so much if it were mostly a rural route. If it meant driving congested freeways than forget it.



jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Oct 2009
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,257
Location: Waterloo, ON, Canada

30 Apr 2010, 10:33 am

I haven't experienced much city life. I don't like it when its too crowded.